Question for the experts

If you read my post I said that if you sent a XCR stock to Knoxx they would install their recoil reducer for $129.50 not a new stock.

DR B

Slipshot,

I wouldn't claim to be an expert but have shot a dump truck load of elk with everything except a bow ( rifle, pistol, muzzleloader, & shotgun ) Elk are unique in that great shot placement may not be enough to quickly down them. Out to 400 yards a 308 has enough power to do the job. In my mind the big issue for you is when you add the distance and shooting conditions. Shooting 400 yards with the 308, small condition issues, slightly up/down hill, swirling wind etc will require more rifleman input that a flatter shooting magnum. I also like the 300 Ultra with a brake. However I would not have one if it was not shootable for me. I would suggest that you find a 300 Ultra w brake to shoot a couple of rounds through to see if it is reasonable to you. If it is not I would look for something flatter (higher BC) shooting like a 7mm Rem Mag or even a 280 Rem. You will find a serious advantage with the right bullets over a 308 with very little recoil increase. Just my $.02

Thanks for the link and openions. That stock looks interesting and would be interesting to test. Anyone own one or had there hands on one?

Thnaks guys

I'm no expert, but every day I shoot my 308 it 'grows' on me. I'm a big fan of the 30-06, but I don't think there is much difference. 75yrs ago the 30-40 was considered elk medicine, as was the 30-06. Neither was loaded, at that time, as hot as the 308 is today, and we have much better bullets today. There are also Light Mags or High Energy loads. These match most 30-06 loads and in my gun shoot ok if not great, 1.5". This is fine for 400yd shots. There is also the old saying; "Beware the man with one gun..." Also the guide said up to 400yds. Sometimes you just have to pass!! That's what makes us good sportsmen. Of course if it were me I would really like a new CDL in 280! capt david /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hi Slipshot, there is one comment within your post on which I will base my reply. You state that the shot may be less than perfect because you may be puffing and huffing coming from lower altitude. Hats off to you my friend for admiting this and you have hit on a very valid point. I hunt elk at high elevations as well, in the Rocky Mountains of Alberta. Let me tell you this...elk are very very tough animals, hugely smaller than an Alaskan or Yukon moose but much tougher. My choice rifle is a .338 Win, I don't think that a .308 is a good choice unless shot placement is absolutely perfect. A quartering towards elk offers a substantial shoulder bone protecting vitals within the boiler room. Case in point, in 2002, I helped my partner track a bull for 45 minutes that he hit with a 7mm mag 170 gr. speer grand slam. Without fresh horses, we would have lost him until the next day. Personally, when I pull the trigger, I want it to be "game over". The .338 WM does recoil more than most hunters can handle. I shoot mine at the range with a 28 lb. rifle rest that I built, it then feels more like a .243 .When I'm hunting and my elk or moose is within my crosshairs, recoil is not even a factor (adrenaline is a wonderful drug). I personally don't like brakes, too noisy, but that's personal. I also remember that you mentioned "the hunt of a life time"...so what's a bruised shoulder/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif , take an aspirin. Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Slipshot,

I wouldn't claim to be an expert but have shot a dump truck load of elk with everything except a bow ( rifle, pistol, muzzleloader, & shotgun ) Elk are unique in that great shot placement may not be enough to quickly down them. Out to 400 yards a 308 has enough power to do the job. In my mind the big issue for you is when you add the distance and shooting conditions. Shooting 400 yards with the 308, small condition issues, slightly up/down hill, swirling wind etc will require more rifleman input that a flatter shooting magnum. I also like the 300 Ultra with a brake. However I would not have one if it was not shootable for me. I would suggest that you find a 300 Ultra w brake to shoot a couple of rounds through to see if it is reasonable to you. If it is not I would look for something flatter (higher BC) shooting like a 7mm Rem Mag or even a 280 Rem. You will find a serious advantage with the right bullets over a 308 with very little recoil increase. Just my $.02

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Elk do not always drop when they are "supposed" to. If you have the funds than there are many options for more power without significantly more recoil. If you don't have spare change than the .308 is ok, but not ideal.

Hi i have just retired my 308 in favor of a model7 in 7mm short action ultra mag for deer up to 500 yards this is a great round and shoots a lot flater than the 308. i also am building a 338-300 ultra mag improved this is for larget game and long range. the question i would ask is how many times are you going to shoot this rifle if the answer is 1 time see if you can hire or borrow a 300 to 338 ultra mag with a good muzzle break and make sure the job is done well the first time now if you are thinking you will be interested in long range shooting and larger game purchase one of the new Sendaro II's in 300 ultra send it to shawn have him fir his break a larger recoil lug true up the action and adjust the trigger and bed the action over the bedding block you will have an awsome custom rifle that will be usefull for years to come you could also have one of his adjustable cheek pieces fitted. The rifle in this configeration would do anything you required. The other option is buy a savage in 300 ultra with muzzle break then sell it after the trip it will end up costing $100 probably when you sell it you should only loose that much and you will have completed the shoot well and you would have confidence in your equiptment and the rifle's ability to perform.

Cheers Bill
Australia

You now have three votes in favor of a muzzle braked larger, more potent cartridge. Put a Limb Saver pad on the ouch end and a large brake on a well prepared rifle, bedded, sighted, trued, zeroed and PRACTICED WITH, and you have the best advise from the oldest shooters. I hung up my 308 and have gone to 300wsm's with 180 gr or so and I am 70 with a pin in my shoulder! Remember to get new zeros for the high altitude/ thin air!! Overbore

280 remington. You don't need the super magnums> I have owned all the largest super magnums and a freind and there family including wife father son and grandfather shoot the 280 they have accounted for more than hundred elk all one shot kills it is a great rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.