SMK - "The Question"

Re: SMK - \"The Question\"

Like I said, you guys have beat this one to a pulp. Dave, I think your response summed it up rather well.

Today I had my first LR shooting experience at the Manatee Gun Club. After some testing at 300 yards, I shot at a gallon milk jug (empty I think) at 480yrds. There was a bit of wind but after getting my elevation (Kentucky hold over) established I nailed it three consecutive shots. Was using 70 SMK and blew the lid clean off on the first hit, didn't run far at all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif!

Thanks for the help, don't think I will use them in the 243 but something bigger will be coming soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

[ QUOTE ]

Today I had my first LR shooting experience

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful that first "experience" tends to turn into obsession real quick. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I am sure you guys have beat this one to death, but I havn't found this discussion yet. What is it that makes the SMK a good choice on game and why does Seirra not recommend it? If you like just point me to a previous discussion.

Thanks in advance, Red Dog

[/ QUOTE ]
1- What makes them a good choice: Construction
2- Just my .2 but I don't see many target shooters in my area that would give a labeled hunting / target bullets a fair chance.
3- Man could you see this one, Most Law Enforcement Fed and Local use them in a .308 and buy them by the boat load. What would happen if the box read "This bullet causes severe tissue damage in animals" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Millatery snipers shoot the SMK's 175 grain in the 308 rifles

Entry hole from a 168gr Matchking on a 300lb Mule deer from a 308win. The deer ran about 75yds, but there were was not much of the lungs left when I cleaned it.
f49.jpg

Same deer exit hole, kind of hard to see, but took out about 2" of rib and left a big hole.
9a9.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.