7mm Rem Mag and the SMK

distant1

Guys

A quick question I have a Custom 7 mag just put together and have been doing some load development with the rifle ,at 3070fps I have some stella results with the 168g SMK it just makes one hole larger group after group at 100 yards @ 400 yards I shot 18 rounds last week into a two inch centre.

I am delighted as you could imagine with the accuracy , I have not tried any true hunting bullets in her yet but I have read on here that many of you like the SMK for hunting as well.

I hunt big bodied Red Stags with plenty of bullet expansion frame , do any of you shoot the SMK for hunting in your 7mm rifles ? how do you find them ?

If they kill as well as they group they would be an absolute sensation in my rifle and I will stay with them.

Many thanks for your feedback.

I know you have all shot a one hole group before but this is just a shot of mine , this rifle just wants to shoot as some do and I am so pleased with the results , as we all know you just never know if its all going to come together the way you imagine till you get to this point.

Threeshotgroup.jpg

Great group and I am happy for you. I can imagine how pleased you are. And yes ordering a custom rifle is like buying a pig in a sack. You don't know what he looks like (how it is going to shoot) until you have paid for him and removed the sack (shot it at the range). What are the specs on your rifle?

Hey Alfred

Mate the pig in the Sack analagy is a ripper so true.

This one started with the tried and true Rem 700 action , then a 28" fluted 416r MAB match grade barrel , A 2lb HS presision trigger and 3 rd box mag set , in a HS long range hunter stock , then a NF 5.5-22X56 NXS in NF rings on a NF 20 MOA base she ends up at 14.5lb and is a true pleasure to shoot prone at that weight.

I loaded Nosler Custom Brass with 65.5grns of our Australian ADI-2213SC powder and a CCI-250 mag primer on the 168 SMK for 3070 FPS through the Cronograph. I ran the load through Exbal and set up a table which gave me 5.5moa for a 400 yard hold , I dialed it set up on a 3 inch bull and shot the centre clear out of it. The cold bore shot hit the centre as if put there by hand I was / am tickled with its performance.

This is my first full custom and has ended up so well that I could only hope anything in the future is as good. Its not my intention to have a great many rifles though I do have a couple. I want to live with this one and get all I can from it , I know the 7mag is one heck of a reliable game taker I may be its biggest fan.

Now that I have established this rifles shooting credientials I just want to match the delivery ability with a bullet that will do the business out to around 800 yards and then settle in and get to the business of filling up the freezer and the den wall.

Would love to hear from any 7 mag fans with your ideas experience I know some of you guys have trodden this trail and I am well behind you but on track.

Thanks

Great looking rifle, the 7mm RM is probably my all time favorite cartridge as well. I've shot 30+ big game animals with it.

As far as shooting the 168SMK at a Red Stag, it will likely work, but I'd rather use a purpose built bullet. I use the SMK in my 338Allen Mag, but that SMK is 300gr's!

I shoot the 160gr Nosler Accubond in my 7mag, it is incredibly accurate (I've shot one hole groups at 200yds with it). I've shot it out to 800yds and stayed under 1/2 MOA. It should expand out to 900yds according to Exbal (1800fps is the expansion speed listed by Nosler).

I shoot it at 3015fps average using RL-22 and it's my go to/ do anything rifle.

Good luck,
AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts