Question for the experts

Slipshot

First off I want to say HI!!! Its been awhile since I was around here but this is the first place I thought to come for the answers.
I am looking at a Colorodo elk/mulie hunt and need some advice. The outfitter says the long end on shots for the area is about 400 yrds so I know this isn't long range for you guys but hell you guys shoot them close also dont you? My question is in gun selection. My current "big" bore is several 308's. I know you guys love your shoulder mounted howitzers but I really hate guns that get meat at both ends. Is a 308 enough gun to take a elk without making a perfect shot out to 400 yrds? Reason I say less then perfect shot is because I know I will be huffing and puffing at altitude comming from below sea level LOL. I don't mind springing for a new rig as long as I can enjoy shooting the **** thing and not get the flinches which a previous 300 win did for me. Also I know my 308's inside and out but by no means would I consider myself a expert shot either.
The hunt isnt cheap and I dont want to come home empty wishing I would have had a different gun. This could be the "hunt of a life time" for a Texas boy!!!!
Please help since I have no experiance with elk size critters.
Thanks guys

Slipshot,

I have been hunting Elk in Idaho for almost twenty years now and have witnessed mutiple elk fall in their tracks with a well placed shot from a .270 (close range). On the other side though I have tracked wounded Elk over a quarter of a mile with good shot placement from a .300 Weatherby before they expired. Elk are very majestic and powerful animals and many factors associated with their adrenaline, hunting pressure, and time of year (breeding season)will effect how easy it is to bring them down. IMHO I would error on the side of caution and go with a 7mm or .300 Ultra magnum these calibers are fairly flat shooting, easy recoil, and offer excellent knockdown power for Elk.

Hope this helps,
lv2hunt

if u reload and practice at those ranges, the 308 is enuf gun for any critter in the country. theres no need for a rum, especially when u cant deal with the recoil (dont feel bad neither can I).

if u take ur 308, u will be comfortable in ur shot, and able to make a clean one.... if u buy a 1500 dollar 300rum, and it gives u the flinches, and u take it on ur 7000 dollar hunt of a lifetime, and u muck the shot, then how is the 300rum any better than taking a 218 bee with iron sights?

elk arent really as hard to kill as their size would make it seem.and that 308 is a whole lot deadlier than any magnum that makes u flinch. ur not hunting buffalo or elephants..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

First things first I am not an expert!Now that is out of the way I would suggest a Savage weather warrior mod 116 SAK in the 300RUM chambering I actually have one of these it has a muzzle brake from the factory and doesn't kick any more that the .308win. and is capable of extreme accuracy I know of others that are very accurate as well so it isn't a fluke.I also own a .308 but don't bother to take it Elk hunting not to say it will not kill an Elk it's not my preference for animals over 250 lbs.Bullet placement is crucial with any rifle but there is no replacement for flat shooting powerful rounds which give great energy at longer ranges.Main thing is shooting something you can manage and the 300 RUM with a brake is very manageable period.You may now redicule my post and make fun of my suggestion but remember you asked!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You may now redicule my post and make fun of my suggestion but remember you asked!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
You have me confused with someone else. I want/need the advice or I wouldnt have asked. Thanks for your input and it will be takin into consideration. Living here in the far south a real big bore gun isnt real practical since the white tails we hunt can be a bit on the small side. I Guess I need to put some thought and research into this subject.

Not to consider myself an expert by any means... I would sugest a braked 300rum. I love mine. I have friends that love theirs also. One friend had to give up his 300rum in the old sendero to his wife because he said she fell in love with it after taking an elk at over 500 yrds with it. She weighs 130 max and can shoot it all day off an bench.

I hunt elk and moose all the time, and at longer ranges than you are talking about. I shoot a 300 win mag, but my sister and brother in law who hunt with me both use 308 win, and with my hand built bullets they have no problems out to 500 yards. Have you ever heard of Jack Connor Mr. 270, he imortalized the 270 with a 130 grain bullet on elk. check him out the man was famous. If you can hit an elk at 400 yards with a 308, you can kill him. My first elk was collected at 400 plus yards with a 284 winchester, I only had my deer rifle along and did not expect to find any elk.

There is nothing wrong with a 308. Use a good bullet and practice shooting in the field and the range. An old timer I have hunted elk with for 15 years kills his every year with a Savage 99 300savage. He shoots them near and far with no problems. If you are comfortable and accurate with your gun, use it. I will be hunting with my 308 this year since my 300rum is in the shop. I will be in the timber and also in open meadows. If you are confident with your rifle and yourself, you will do fine. Good luck!

First I'll say that I hunt elk with a .340Wby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now I will tell you. If the .308 is what you hunt with now and you are accurate and confident with it. Then load some good bullets and practice practice practice. Then go get your elk and deer and don't look back. For bullets at those ranges. I'd go for a 165 gr Barnes Trip shock. Or an Accubond. Good luck and have a blast!

I've personally taken a Tule Elk from Grizzly Island in California with a .308 150grain Nosler Partition about 7 years ago. Shot was right around 100 yards in ~30mph wind and I nailed him right in the shoulder bone and stopped him dead in his tracks, didn't kill him but he was froze solid not sure what had just happened (to find out later I had blown through the bone), took a 2nd shot missed, 3rd shot hit his lungs and blew them up and he dropped instantly. It wasn't the best feeling in my life, and since then I've kept buying bigger guns to drop the things easier or at least have some peace in my mind about the situation. Wounding an animal isn't a good feeling at all especially if it gets away, luckily mine went no where. Could you do it? Maybe up to 200 yards... I wouldn't push it much past that. If it's a hunt of a lifetime invest in a .300 or larger and don't look back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The elk was a 600 lbs hanging Spike by the way. Fish and game measured it after I dressed it. There was a good bull pushing 900-1k lbs I think sitting around him and he looked to be almost 2x the size as the other elk... I would have never taken a shot on that guy with my .308 unless it was a well placed lung shot.

Use the TSX or 180 Accubond and your 308 will kill your Elk just as dead as anyother caliber........... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Will the 308 do it , hell yes probably out past 500yds if the shot is placed correctly but rarely do you get perfect broadside shots a still game from a dead solid rest.
SO , if your willing to pass on marginal shots and take the chance that ol big boy may step out and you have to shoot through the *** end then I would advise against it , their are better calibers for this.

Here is a cheap option that would solve alot of problems.
Pic one of your 308's that your comfortable with and have it rechambered to 300WSM and have a good brake put on it you think the recoiul is gonna bother you.
I have good friend that is on fixed income and was in the same spot your in , loved his 308 but diden't want to risk missing a shot due to lack of power , so I rechambered it for him to 300WSM , was very cost effective and actualy shot alot better due to having a better chamber cut in it.

Slipshot
I'm from the deep south also, the Bayous of Louisiana. I have been killing whitetail for almost 40 years with 270 win and 308 win. Now I'm also going to hunt elk for the first time this year.
I think I'm going to bring one of the new Rem 700 XCR in either 300 RUM or 338 RUM. The reason I'm going with the larger rounds is if I see the bull of my dreams at 400 yd walking away. I would not take that shot with my 270 win, but with a 338 RUM and a 250gr TSX I wouldn't think twice, just put one at the base of the tail.
The reason I would choose a XCR is that it comes with a Houge stock thatyou can send to Knoxx Industries and have them put one of their reoil systems in. It will reduce recoil over 50%. I have one on m 416 rem and it kicks like my 270. They charge $129.95 plus shiping.
Also it's much quiter than a break.

Check out their web site they have a video demostration on thir sit that is verey impressive.

Knoxx Industries

DR B

BJlooper,
It looks like a good product but the price is a little higher. For $119 you can get a shotgun stock but a rifle stock is $229. But I do like the option of recoil reduction without the increased muzzle blast from a break. And if you ever get a carry rifle in 510AM you can do the muzzle break and the comp stock ... and a couple asprin. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.