Questions for the Chassis Gang

Weaver93

I look at all the builds on here and I see a growing percentage using chassis on their hunting rifles. What I want to know is was it love at first shot or did you have to acclimate to them?

I love the utility of a chassis and the simplicity of changing things up, but for the life of me I can't feel comfortable behind one! I've tried MPA as well as MDT and ended up selling both. Is it just some shooters do not get along with chassis? How do you all fall on the chassis issue? Do I need to just push through and stick with it long enough or is there not enough gain to justify leaving conventional stocks?

I am with you Weaver. I can not get comfortable with chassis. They offer some things but I go back to stocks every time. I like Manners stocks as they offer the Mini Chassis set up so I just bolt in my barreled action and can have a lot of adjustments also. Most importantly they are comfortable when shooting. So my advice is don't try and push through as it will just cause you to waste time and money. Stick with what you like.

I had a McRee chassis a long time ago and more recently an MPA. I am with you OP, I appreciate their utility, but can't seem to get comfortable behind them and no longer own any. To me there has always been a weight penalty, which made the guns sort of a one trick pony. They made shooting long range targets great, but were too heavy to carry up a mountain or do much else with. The ergonomics are another sort of X factory which I think people either love or hate. When chassis were first becoming popular, it seemed like they were offering AR-15 ergonomics in a bolt gun which was the last thing I wanted. Now fortunately they have evolved away from that into their own thing, and even the weight concern has been mitigated some but not enough to interest me. If I was going to build say a 338 to bang steel as far as I humanly could from a prone position, I would probably do it on a chassis. If I cared about PRS maybe then too. Otherwise, I will stick with Manners stocks and mini chassis for the foreseeable future as the ergonomics, weight, and functionality seem to hit a sweet spot for me personally.

Last edited:
I am the same way. I shot my buddies out to 1200 yards. It was awesome but clunky...?
I think there is huge market for a conventional stock with a hinge in the wrist area that would make it slip in a pack. This seems to me the largest benefit but hear the guys that like to get the comb, LOP so forth just right.
Even a two piece ADL set up that clicked together would be sweet. ( now someone can post a link ) Thinking of a composited traveler like the Dakota rifles just not 10K!

The biggest advantage in my opinion for chassis stocks are their numerous options for fit. However, they are heavier than traditional stocks in most cases and since they have lots of mechanical fasteners there is that potential for having them "loosen up". So, you better keep that in mind and carry the appropriate tools in your pack.

I love chassis on my comp rifles. But I definitely still prefer the feel of a stock on my hunting rifles. Chassis are much more versatile on what they can do, but theyre usually heavy and awkward to carry. My 2 chassis though are still more stock feeling than a traditional chassis. My 2 chassis are the MDT XRS and the MPA Matrix
20220722_065512.jpg
20210514_123354.jpg

It just amazed me that I could not get settled in. Like @jasent said their versatility is endless along with adjustability. It just comes off like I'm hanging on to a metal fence post.

I guess the part I find most confusing is I built an AR with White Oaks heavy Wylde barrel and I shoot it lights out and I don't understand, while that isn't a MPA or MDT, I can get behind it and feel like I belong there. I just think it would be neat not to worry about barrel channels and action bedding, but the mini chassis lets me do that to an extent so I guess I'll stick with convention. Maybe I'm just too old to be taught new tricks! ; )

I feel like a chassis is more comfortable in some ways... I switched to one because I wanted an adjustable cheek riser. But I love the thumb shelf, and the way I can make the cheek riser fit right where I need it without any effort to get behind the scope. I like the zero degree grip I have on it, and the cheek riser and grip are really the only contact points I have while shooting; my left hand is on my squeeze bag. So in some respects, I don't see how it could be uncomfortable? If that is all you are contacting.

Not a chassis fan either. For my type of hunting/shooting, I cannot make them work or get comfortable and shoot well behind them.

I just have trouble fitting behind a stock. I'm built like an ogre. Need more adjustment than just length of pull and cheek riser. I like my but pad canted heavy and cheek riser canted slightly opposite direction. I have a manners t2 and I like it but the xlr feels like it was made for me. Form fit.

I just have trouble fitting behind a stock. I'm built like an ogre. Need more adjustment than just length of pull and cheek riser. I like my but pad canted heavy and cheek riser canted slightly opposite direction. I have a manners t2 and I like it but the xlr feels like it was made for me. Form fit.

That's how I feel behind a chassis. Trying to make it work versus the Manner made for me. The T2 can be had with adjustable cheek and LOP also. Just got to order it that way. I have one. My TCS is my favorite though for my match rifles. Not lightweight for a hunting rifle though.

IMG_2630.jpg

Recent Posts