Questions for the Chassis Gang

I have no problem getting comfortable with chassis or transitioning to and from with my non-chassis rifles. On my next build (just waiting for my barrel to arrive this week), I will be using CA's MPR chassis.

This is an interesting thread, I have an Ar10 and a Bergara HMR in 6.5 creedmoor. I know the ar10 is technically not a chassis. But with all of the adjustments in the buttock with built in monopod and same brake, It's always close but not as accurate as the HMR even though I feel the fit is comparable. I have considered the CA MPR as I like the light weight and the ability to fold the stock. In the store the fit reminds me of the Ar10. I know one is a bolt gun, one is not. I mean the deer won't notice the difference in accuracy as both are submoa. But how it feels as far as fit it does feel different. When friends have shot my AR their groups open up a little more than mine they like how it shoots and they can adjust it for each shooter some shot it better than they shot my HMR. Do you feel your more accurate with the chassis or hunting stock? I know most chassis guns are heavier 15lbs or more my HMR is about10 lbs and ar10 is about 12lbs. The scope setup with the AR is heavier too by about a lb. Just curious as the CA MPR is less than 8lbs in 300win mag there is an ultralight 300 win mag at about 6 lbs I am comparing.

I have to admit I prefer stocks. But I'd really like to have a chassis to try out. SLTW2011 I thought it was Monday and not warm and fuzzy Wednesday. ;)

I have to admit I prefer stocks. But I'd really like to have a chassis to try out. SLTW2011 I thought it was Monday and not warm and fuzzy Wednesday. ;)

Eh, I'm probably on ignore by him anyway. I prefer stocks as well. It's all ergonomics and that's so subjective.

Eh, I'm probably on ignore by him anyway. I prefer stocks as well. It's all ergonomics and that's so subjective.
I've probably been put on ignore also. I guess if a Magpul Hunter stock is considered a chassis I've fired one. It shot well for a stock Remington LR 300 Win Mag.

Attachments

• JT's 300WM.jpeg
    JT's 300WM.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 28
I will agree with what XLR Industries said above.

When I first tried a chassis, I couldn't get comfortable and thus, couldn't group well.

Had a buddy take the time to actually fit his chassis to me recently and WOW what a difference! Biggest thing was raising the butt pad to bring the stock in closer to my center line and getting the pad higher on my collar bone. Wound up getting an MDT ACC chassis and love it! My stocks and chassis don't feel the same, but now I'm comfortable behind either.

As for the more vertical vs swept back (think Kimber) grip angle.... the vertical allows me to have my shooting hand more relaxed in every shooting position, whereas the swept back does not feel natural.

Just my experience. Hope this helps.

I think the last sentence says it all. In the game of accurate rifles we are all passionate about our performance and equipment and strive to make everything work perfectly for us. Eventually we evolve to our perfect setup and are certain we found the perfect combo, period. We did, for us. It's a sport as unique and individual as each of us.

It's too bad that some people will read your post, and think you're right... and head down the chassis road.

Eventually, when they are outclassed by enough shooters, they'll start wondering if I was right and get a composite with a great bed job or a Foundation. They'll tire of a perpetually shifting zero. They'll tire of drastic POI shifts every time they abort the chassis to do some trigger maintenance. They'll get tired of first round shift, what is commonly referred to as "cold bore shift" but is mostly actually due to improper action to stock fitment. They'll tire of chasing that zero from season to season, from morning to afternoon.

Yet most won't even realize it's happening. They'll think it is them. They'll think they are just not doing something right, and that's why they're chasing a tenth of a mil every direction from POA all the time.

You clearly don't even know what I'm saying. 90% or more of precision rifle shooters will not ask any more than a chassis can produce. The rest will remember this thread as a monumental turning point in their shooting capability. They'll remember I helped them, and who cares if they remember you tried to hurt them? It's been happening like that my entire career. Every day I talk to someone that was mislead by people on forums. I give them advice on how to fix it, and then they circle back with all manner of praise and thanks. That's good enough for me! There's no changing anyone's mind here in anonymous lan
So go ahead and be happy with your bigger groups, farther from POA. I'm not stopping you. :)

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Maybe if I was a competitive shooter I might be able to see a difference, but my experience has shown no change in accuracy between my rifles with chassis or conventional stock. Not sure if I can agree or disagree with your comment.

I will agree with what XLR Industries said above.

When I first tried a chassis, I couldn't get comfortable and thus, couldn't group well.

Had a buddy take the time to actually fit his chassis to me recently and WOW what a difference! Biggest thing was raising the butt pad to bring the stock in closer to my center line and getting the pad higher on my collar bone. Wound up getting an MDT ACC chassis and love it! My stocks and chassis don't feel the same, but now I'm comfortable behind either.

As for the more vertical vs swept back (think Kimber) grip angle.... the vertical allows me to have my shooting hand more relaxed in every shooting position, whereas the swept back does not feel natural.

Just my experience. Hope this helps.

You can get that on stocks also with the raising of the buttpad with an adjustable LOP attachment. Just comes down to ordering it the way you want it.

IMG_2636 (2).jpg

I had a chassis in mind for my next build. Now I'm not sure if I want to go down this road. It's kind of one those if it ain't broke don't fix it things. Feenix continues to show some of his stable of rifles, and then I start drooling and putting together a component list. LOL. If I listen to some self professed experts, I may not be able to hit the broadside of a barn if I go this route. I think I'm just going to do my thing, and have a blast doing it. 1/2" MOA is just fine with me.

I like the features in your picture. What stock are we looking at?

It's a Manners TCS stock on my match .22. It's their competition stock and has a good amount of adjustment so the shooter could set the stock up for them. The TCS is heavier than most would want for a hunting rifle but for a match rifle it's an excellent choice. I am not sure if Manners could put that fully adjustable set up in other stocks though but they might.

IMG_2635.jpg

It's too bad that some people will read your post, and think you're right... and head down the chassis road. Eventually, when they are outclassed by enough shooters, they'll start wondering if I was right and get a composite with a great bed job or a Foundation. They'll tire of a perpetually shifting zero. They'll tire of drastic POI shifts every time they abort the chassis to do some trigger maintenance. They'll get tired of first round shift, what is commonly referred to as "cold bore shift" but is mostly actually due to improper action to stock fitment. They'll tire of chasing that zero from season to season, from morning to afternoon. Yet most won't even realize it's happening. They'll think it is them. They'll think they are just not doing something right, and that's why they're chasing a tenth of a mil every direction from POA all the time. You clearly don't even know what I'm saying. 90% or more of precision rifle shooters will not ask any more than a chassis can produce. The rest will remember this thread as a monumental turning point in their shooting capability. They'll remember I helped them, and who cares if they remember you tried to hurt them? It's been happening like that my entire career. Every day I talk to someone that was mislead by people on forums. I give them advice on how to fix it, and then they circle back with all manner of praise and thanks. That's good enough for me! There's no changing anyone's mind here in anonymous land. So go ahead and be happy with your bigger groups, farther from POA. I'm not stopping you. :) ----------- Follow on Instagram Subscribe on YouTube Amazon Affiliate
My personal experience with 5 chassis based rifles used for both competition and LRH applications over a four year period bear no resemblance to your commentary concerning accuracy/precision and the ability to maintain zero when compared to my conventionally stocked rifles.
Can't deny the results. All my chassis rifles perform comparably.
Note: 3 Cold bore zero shots 1 shot/month 30F temp range(no zero adjustment required for 2 seasons, two deer taken)
CB66B5D5-B187-4EAE-ABDF-CA5DFF731C69.jpeg2B265DC4-7A96-4C56-B893-E604340573A6.jpegDD453D8E-EE9D-4721-BB34-08D13F333C08.jpegE354D00A-32C6-4857-8E34-B7BFE6D27DB0.jpeg

For me, the chassis was definitely love at first sight .I had built a couple savage based DIYs with laminated stocks pillar bedded, then moved to chassis. I started with MDT's HS3, built a couple savages with those, then they launched Oryx, which I found to be a great "few frills" (as opposed to no frills) design at a great price and did a savage and a rem-clone on them, and then MDT introduced the HNT26 lightweight. That is now my go-to hunting rig. Until the HNT my rifles scaled around 13.5# on the hoof. That magnesium and carbon fiber leaves me right at 10. I'm happy with that.

Attachments

• Completion! 001.JPG
    Completion! 001.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Message_1601663626775.jpg
    Message_1601663626775.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 46
  • Message_1604777748100 (1).jpg
    Message_1604777748100 (1).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • 20211010_134643 (1).jpg
    20211010_134643 (1).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
About 35 years ago when aluminum bedding inserts first started showing up and CNC mills were becoming quite common I asked the question "Why not just make a whole stock from a bar of aluminum?"

I was told "No one would buy it", "The stock would be extremely expensive", and "Why on God's green Earth would you want that?"

:)

I have an MDT for a Howa Mini 1500. The chassis is nice, but I haven't shot it enough to have formed an opinion about if I prefer it over a more traditional stock.