Pros and Cons carbon fiber barrel vs steel barrel

Other carbon makers just don't seem to be able to deliver the accuracy/precision of the benchmarks.
I disagree. I have 13 different ones running currently, 10 proofs, 2 Carbon6's and one benchmark. They all shoot under .4 moa. 3 of the proofs if I do my part will go between .1 and .2 moa, the other proofs go in the .3's, the carbon6's both are in the .3's and the one benchmark I have is in the .3 range. I will say the only bad carbon barrel I ever got was a Proof and it currently is a tractor pin for a 3 point hook up and surprisingly the carbon is doing quite well I would say staying together. So there are a lot of very accurate carbon's for hunting rigs.

I have both cf and steel barrels may proof research cf is lighter than my steel barrels. I like a stiffer barrel due to the suppressor. As far as Cf cooling quicker, no. It will cool evenly, but not quicker. The steel barrel has a carbon fiber blanket wrapped around it. Unless you are shooting alot of rounds at one time or bench rest shooting either one should be fine.

I own 4 CFW barrels. But the one contact I solicited information from, has clients numbering in the 1000s. Realize, you don't make friends bashing a barrel manufacturer. So that these guys speak at all, is quite remarkable! It's like asking your doctor an opinion about another doctor. Silence is common, unless they only have superlatives.

My contact is slightly thumbs down on CFW. The odds are in your favor of getting a CFW barrel that will shoot. But the odds they may be fussy during load development are higher. And they may not shoot well no matter how many bullets tried, and effort expended. I'm leary of CFW barrels for the time being. Don't really plan to purchase any more at this time. I'd rather carry another 16oz of barrel weight than fight load development components and my time and disappointments.
I have 3 rifles with carbon barrels and they shoot in the 1s and 2s. So far I'm batting 1000. 1 is a Proof and the other 2 are HCA (using Benchmark blanks).

I have 3 steel barrels that shoot in the 1s and 2s. 1 is a Krieger 1 is a Bartlein and 1 is a Brux. I also had a Hart steel that constantly shot in the 2s.

There is no doubt the carbon barrel rifles are lighter than the steel ones in my builds all with similar construction and components.

I sent my Bartlein CFW barrel back for their inspection. After my gunsmith dialed in on the bore in his lathe and confirmed two grooves had been cut deeper than the other 5. They said their barrel was manufactured within their tolerance specs. That barrel is now confirmed to meet tolerance specs, and suspends a tomato plant in my greenhouse.
I have a buddy that had a very similar experience with a Bartlein carbon.

I understand that everyone has their own experiences, thoughts, likes and dislikes. I didn't start this thread for individuals to get blasted on this. I started it to try and gain as much knowledge from others experiences, likes and dislikes comparing the two different styles of barrels.

I get that you can get a shooter or non shooter in either version of barrel, but what I've been looking for are the pros and cons between the two. With that, I'm sure you sacrifice in one way or the other in either style/version. I'm looking to others in this forum to assist me in trying to way the direction I'll eventually go with a barrel purchase.

Thank you to those who have provided your experiences.

Speaking from all your extensive experience with carbon fiber barrels no doubt.... lol

CirBO0o.gif

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Can you read dude? I actually did say "in my limited experience" with carbon barrels. Do you need me to sound it out slowly?

If only I started an LLC and posted pics of my cool guy camo guns on instagram, then just maybe I'd be entitled to an opinion🤣

I have several of both but have been using cf more lately just because they are available and it's easier to find a stock with the right inlet. I think the cf barrels hold the heat in, the outside doesn't seem warm but I'm sure the liner is hot! I don't do long shot strings they are on hunting rifles so I don't care. It's hard to beat a #3 or #4 fluted brux or benchmark depending on what caliber you are going with.

I do actually wonder if the right carbon/resin combo can maybe, just MAYBE, actually move heat extremely well.
Or maybe someone smarter than me can explain why heat waves after just a couple shots is a common complaint for carbon barrels. I sure see them on my proof. It seems like it dumping heat off the whole barrel immediately. Either way. Mine shoots good and I like the looks so I'm happy.

I could use some help here.

I'd love to buy a flutted 3 or 4 benchmark because I agree it would be stiffer (or as stiff) as a lighter profile CF barrel and likely same weight.

However it seems much more difficult to buy a prefit steel barrel these days vs getting a prefit CF.

I can get a CF prefit for $600.

Does anyone know of a vendor who does prefit benchmarks for a tikka for similar price? I can't find one. Ones I can find have very limited options or don't do in house fluting.

Prefit availability may be a CF plus at least for now.

Last edited:
I could use some help here.

I'd love to buy a flutted 3 or 4 benchmark because I agree it would be stiffer (or as stiff) as a lighter profile CF barrel and likely same weight.

However it seems much more difficult to buy a prefit steel barrel these days vs getting a prefit CF.

I can get a CF prefit for $600.

Does anyone know of a vendor who does prefit benchmarks for a tikka for similar price? I can't find one. Ones I can find have very limited options or don't do in house fluting.

Prefit availability may be a CF plus at least for now.
Have you tried X-Caliber?

I disagree. I have 13 different ones running currently, 10 proofs, 2 Carbon6's and one benchmark. They all shoot under .4 moa. 3 of the proofs if I do my part will go between .1 and .2 moa, the other proofs go in the .3's, the carbon6's both are in the .3's and the one benchmark I have is in the .3 range. I will say the only bad carbon barrel I ever got was a Proof and it currently is a tractor pin for a 3 point hook up and surprisingly the carbon is doing quite well I would say staying together. So there are a lot of very accurate carbon's for hunting rigs.
My sample size is considerably larger… and my demands probably much greater, but I'm glad you're happy with what you've got.