Pros and Cons carbon fiber barrel vs steel barrel

shedhunt

Hello!!

Looking for some information on the pros and cons of carbon fiber barrels vs steel barrels. I'm getting ready to build a 7mm and can't decide if I want to go with a carbon fiber barrel or a nice fluted steel barrel. I spoke to the gunsmith that I'm looking to use for some action work and barreling the action. He made a comment to me that I thought was interesting by stating that you don't save in weight with a carbon barrel like everyone thinks and can get the same weight out of a steel barrel with fluting.

So the questions I have are, those who have done this very exact thing, did you see a weight reduction? Have you also noticed if the barrel cools quicker than a fluted barrel?

Please share your experiences as I'd like to make a decision that I want question or be unhappy with.

Thank you for your time!!

I'm far from an expert but have several CF barrels and have had stainless/fluted barrels.
I prefer short/stiff barrels for use with my suppressors and the CF fits the bill for that and has a significant weight reduction. (The longer /heavier the barrel the more weight reduction comparatively). Not all CF barrels are the same. I have found that Bartline CF barrels are heavier than Proof of same length. Was told by my smith that it is due to the contour under the CF…he said Bart is tapereded while proof is "step down."

If not using a suppressor it would be a toss up for me…..but I'm never shooting without a suppressor lol. Cannot speak to cooling but should be a non issue in a hunting rifle.

My2c

Working same project with a 7mm 20" barrel.

My findings are you can get a flutted benchmark #3 contour big enough for 9/16 threads under 2lbs.

Lightest CF barrel I've found is from carbon6 featherweight (.75" at muzzle) will thread 5/8 but weight will be closer to 36-38oz (6oz heavier).

Guessing if you beefed up to have a thicker muzzle on the steel weight would be close but probably a tad heavier.

I see the best benefit of CF being a lot of prefit choices and all can be threaded 5/8.

Hello!!

Looking for some information on the pros and cons of carbon fiber barrels vs steel barrels. I'm getting ready to build a 7mm and can't decide if I want to go with a carbon fiber barrel or a nice fluted steel barrel. I spoke to the gunsmith that I'm looking to use for some action work and barreling the action. He made a comment to me that I thought was interesting by stating that you don't save in weight with a carbon barrel like everyone thinks and can get the same weight out of a steel barrel with fluting.

So the questions I have are, those who have done this very exact thing, did you see a weight reduction? Have you also noticed if the barrel cools quicker than a fluted barrel?

Please share your experiences as I'd like to make a decision that I want question or be unhappy with.

Thank you for your time!!
Bartlein #2b or #3 are lighter than most CF.

Has anyone also noticed if the CF barrel cools quicker than a steel fluted barrel? I'm at the point of wanting to get something ordered sooner than later. I'll be going with a 24" barrel for now as I don't have a can and not sure if I will ever go that direction.

Tell me your thoughts!!! Im open to them, want to be sure I make a sound decision.

Weight or accuracy.

You can prioritize one, not both.

Although I've seen a few hammers from benchmark in carbon. Think that'll be my next hunting bbl. Couldn't pay me to shoot another proof carbon.

Weight Reduction on the Carbon fiber barrel is my interest as far as accuracy goes heard it is about the same. I have stayed with steel, mostly due to cost of the Carbon fiber barrels. My primary use is hunting in the future may look at the carbon fiber option, so will be following this forum to read the feedback from others.

I have both fluted steel benchmark sporter type contour and CF in light weight guns. Both weigh about 7 1/2 lbs and shoot accurately. Shoot both suppressed. POI changed with suppressor for both but groups didn't change on either.

Looks is a big thing with CF, they are much better looking with and w/o suppressor.

I do not think CF cools any faster than steel. I thin the CF holds the heat and disperses slower if anything.

Really I think it comes down to personal preference and money. I do think CF barrel will shoot better than the the thin steel barrels if you tested enough but that's just a opinion.

With a 7mm bore:

A Bartlein #1 Win Featherweight @ 22" is about 2#. Add a couple Oz to compare to a 24" in all the others below.

A Bartlein #2b fluted is about 3lbs 2oz @ 24". No flutes is 3lbs 9oz @ 24"

A Bartlein #3 fluted is about 3lbs 7oz @ 24". No flutes is about 3lbs 12oz.

A Bartelin #4CF is about 2lbs 12oz @ 24"

A Bartlein #13CF is about 3lbs @ 24"

A Proof Sendero Light CF is about 2lbs 14oz @ 24"

A Proof Sendero CF is about 3lbs 1oz @ 24".

Some people comment that a CF barrel is too expensive. If you are building a complete custom rifle, does it really put that much of a damper on your budget?

Steel barrel $350-400
Fluted steel barrel $450-500
Carbon Fiber $650-800.

What about stiffness vs weight?
Carbon fiber is much stiffer pound for pound than a steel barrel. Stiffer barrels usually equate to more forgiving in a shot string as well as during load work up. Ever try shooting 3-5 in a row with a small contoured steel barrel?

Last edited:
I've found very good accuracy in 4 out of 4 carbon fiber barrels so far (1/2 moa or better on every one, with load development). The main reason I tried a CF barrel is that using a suppressor makes your rifle muzzle heavy. When carrying a suppressed rifle with a steel barrel on a sling the rifle is always wanting to roll over muzzle end down. Going to a lighter weight carbon fiber barrel helps to counteract that and better balance the rifle. I don't see myself going away from suppressed rifles and will likely stick with carbon fiber barrels as a result. If I wasn't shooting suppressed I might actually prefer the extra weight of the steel to help stabilize the rifle.