Carbon fiber stocks

Yep, I have made 6 now. Essentially they are the same as making a fibreglass stock. You won't find much on the net about them but it is just fibreglassing.

Hey Stu - would you mind terribly posting a pic or two if you have any?

Read up all you can about how to make a two piece mold off a plug.

What's a plug in this context?

I make a two piece mold off the stock.

What material do you use to make the mold from?

How do you keep the resin/epoxy from sticking to it?

4 layers of 6oz carbon fibre with west Systems 105/207, put 3-4 extra layers through the pistol grip area, then put it in a vacuum storage bag and suck the air out with a vacuum cleaner.

How do you keep the resin/epoxy from sticking to it?

join the two halves together once it is set (next day).
I make a cast of the action area of the original stock using a silicon modelling resin Wacker 4670.

How do you ensure the cast of the action area is in perfect "alignment" with the stock and securing the cast of the action area to the stock for the epoxy to form around?

Put the cast in the stock and pour thickened resin around it, watch out it will get really, really hot if you pour too much in at once.
Once the halves are stuck together i glue in the swivel studs and then fill the butt and forearm with expanding polyurethane foam.
I make a fibreglass cast of the barrel channel and then lay several pieces of carbon fibre on it and put it into the stock.
Then tidy up all the areas where the resin and fibre didn't quite stick properly.
Then shape up the recoil pad and glue on using thickened resin.
It takes me about 6 weeks from go to whoa to do a stock.

Flick me a PM if you want.

Stu.

This would be a game changer for me!!!! There is a stock I really, really like but it's radically out of my price range. Making something myself would be a fun project and I could get *exactly* what I want without breaking the bank!

TIA

frank

See Youtube for "Ultimate Carbon Fiber Skin - Sofie's rifle stock"
This is a step-by step instructional video on how to "skin" a rifle stock with CF and make it both functional and beautiful. It is an "ad" for the British maker of the kit. Very well done.

But when making your own CF stock you need a compressed foam CORE in the shape of your final stock the same a Browning uses for their 360 degree wrap of their compressed foam core. This is for the Browning X-Bolt Pro model only.

Look for a rigid foam that is not compromised (eaten away) by the resin you will use.
Foam cores for stucco home decorations may be a place to start. You will need to make an exact copy of the stock you want only about 1/8" less material around action and barrel to account for the CF and resin layers.

I solved the "really good CF stock" quest by buying a 6.5 CM Browning X-Bolt Pro. ;o)
In MHO it is likely the best CF hunting rifle stock made.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.