only high dollar optics are quality???

I've got 5 Sightron SIII scopes. 3 are LRMD's,and 2 are MOA-2's,I've never had a single issue with them. They have all been very dependable scopes,as well as the SII that's on my AR10.

I only own 1 SIII and have never had any problems. It tracks well and is extremely close to true MOA adjustments.
It will be hard to find better glass in the price range.

seems to be the underlying input from almost all the SIII owners Ive read about.

Yeah!!, you listen to that one dude. Send it back! These companies are very aware that customer satisfaction /repeat customers is half their business, especially for these types of products which many people buy with little to no research until they begin to fathom it is not right for them or they are displeased for some reason..

On the other hand, I read through the original post and still have no idea what the problem (s) is/are.. I failed to understand exactly why you seem to have problem with multiple descent scopes.. that should be decent enough.. you must have a natural repellent nature towards anything technical, trust me, its not personal, I see it on a daily basis.. some people couldn't count their balls and get the same number twice!… just check your kidneys at the door and figure on getting some good ole fashioned iron sights.. haha !
Lever

You seem to be suffering from cronic bad luck! I suffer from the afliction myself.
There is no cure for it only some ways to minimise the impact as for as sporting goods goes (1) only buy the cheaper stuff when it doesn't realy matter,(2) hold off till you can buy what you realy want the first time when it does matter (BUY ONCE CRY ONCE) (3) Talk to people who own the item you are interested in and not just any body, people who you consider to be more knowledgable than your self , If I asked my co workers , neighbors , ect. what would be a realy good scope, I would here "tasco, BSA, redfield, simmons ect.". Not that they are bad, they just are not long range precision hardware.
I bit the bullet and purchased a NF nxs 3.5-15 50mm 6 months ago and it took a little while to rat hole that much cash but 6months later it is the best money spent in my shooting sports history. A year ago I purchaced a $350 optilogic range finder that was supposed to be good for 1500 yds , after a blown oppertunity this past fall where I could not get a consistant reading at what turned out to be 712 yds when it was ranged from the elks location back to a big rock I was shooting from. I knew then that I was once again a victim of my cutting corners in a arena where you get what you pay for. That was 5 months ago and 2 days ago I ordered a G7 br2 rangefinder and yes I cried but I will only have to do it once!

porkchop - Thanks for your post, I am going thru the same decision process as I get ready to purchase a 243. I am now going to do what I always do (but almost didn't with this rifle) and save a while longer and buy a good one.

Yeah!!, you listen to that one dude. Send it back! These companies are very aware that customer satisfaction /repeat customers is half their business, especially for these types of products which many people buy with little to no research until they begin to fathom it is not right for them or they are displeased for some reason..

On the other hand, I read through the original post and still have no idea what the problem (s) is/are.. I failed to understand exactly why you seem to have problem with multiple descent scopes.. that should be decent enough.. you must have a natural repellent nature towards anything technical, trust me, its not personal, I see it on a daily basis.. some people couldn't count their balls and get the same number twice!… just check your kidneys at the door and figure on getting some good ole fashioned iron sights.. haha !
Lever
i dont understand you, read the post,what is hard to understand, some of them were like that out of the box, now how the hell would that have anything to do with counting balls, i come up with two every time and you missed the big picture, in no way should you have to send a scope back when you should be shooting and not worried about your equipment, it is you my friend that is the one that is behindlightbulb

I couldn't resist putting in my 2 cents worth or maybe more like a dollars worth. I've shot through a couple of Nighforces that were $2,800 and $2,200 respectively. One was mounted on a AR-10 that belonged to one of the local SWAT team. He wanted to use my chrono to get data on their new pallet of ammo (yes I did say pallet). I of course had to make sure he was lined up and not going to shoot my chrono. That was one beautiful scope. The other is on a friend's Savage 260 Rem LRP.

Looking through either of these scopes is almost a religious experience. They are just so clear. It was all I could do to keep from reaching for my wallet. And not only are they clear but the clicks are dead on. My friend and I were shooting at 600 yards and spotting shots using my target cam. He fires a shot and misses right ¾ inch. He clicks his Nightforce one click left and puts one right in the center which of course with 1/8 moa clicks at 600 yards is just what should have happened. A scope (not to mention the rifle) that can correct ¾ inch at 600 yards is to say the least, impressive.

From what I can see a Nightforce will do what you need, do it while taking a beating, and look pretty while doing it. They are as good as it gets. If there is anything better, I don't care because I don't need it.

Having said all that, I can also do math. I have centerfire rifles in 22-250, 6mm Rem, 260 Rem, 270 WSM, 7mm WSM, 30-06, 300 RUM and 338 RUM. If I put a Nightforce on all of those, we are talking some serious dollars plus the cost of the divorce. I just flat can not afford that.

The best scope I have is a Bushnell Elite 6500 in a 4.5 X 30. The rest are all 6 X 24 tactical style Ospreys and Alpens except two of the Ospreys are 10 X 40. I paid around $130 for the Ospreys and $270 for the Alpens.

I have won a pretty decent lottery payout ($815) so it may not be surprising that all of these scopes have worked great for around 2,000 rounds total in all rifles. Groups at 600 yards run in the 3 to 6 inch range with most shots not more than 4 inches off dead center which is an important consideration since this is all about hunting for me. Some of these calibers will pound on a scope and I dial up for anything past 400 yards so these scopes have been tested. I've hunted cold and hot, high and low, dropped rifles on rocks and so on. So far I have gotten away with it.

Yeah some of these (not the Bushnell) get a little dim/fuzzy at high power and I can live with that as long as the clicks are on which so far they have been. If I was smart enough to have stuck with only one rifle, it would be wearing a Nightforce but I blew it and went and bought all those other rifles. Live and learn. And yes I am jealous of anybody who has a Nightforce on their long range rig.

..........and nowhere have I seen the slightest mention of a real scope. Keep the junk NF and step up to a Schmidt and Bender. That Nightforce is a Timex compared to a Rolex (S&B).

..........get the moths outta that wallet and be a man.............:D

I've looked through several Schmidt's that looked like crap...Not that all of them are, b/c I've looked through some that were amazing. But I'm not gonna pay $2,000 for a Schmidt that isn't as clear as it can be, when I could spend $2K on a NF that IS as clear as you can get.

That's just my opinion. Not putting down anyone's choices or scopes.

I noticed on this forum the tendency for the use of high dollar glass. Either most here only have one rifle or two or are pretty darned wealthy. Ive got 18 centerfire bolt action and single shot rifles. I sure cant afford to put 2ooo dollar scopes on all of them. I also am not one that believes in putting 100 dollar scopes on ANY of them. Mostly anymore i buy leupold vx2s or 3s or nikon monarchs. Ive got 12 leupolds and 6 nikons right now and havent had a lick of problem with any of them. Ive probably owned another dozen leupolds over the years that got sold with rifles and only once did i use there warantee and that was a 2x7 that i dropped on the floor and even then they replaced it free of charge. Granted the glass might not be in nightforce territory and granted they might not track at a 1000 yards like a nightforce but for what i do with them the glass and tracking is just fine. two brands ive had the most problem with are bushnell and burris. No more of either of those for me and especially bushnell as there customer service SUCKS. I think there schooled in making up excuse why they shouldnt stand behind there warantee. Bottom line is its great to be able to afford high dollar glass and ill never argue that its wasted money but for 99 percent of what all of us do a good 500 dollar scope is all thats needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.