high quality optic without the extra stuff

yorke-1

I'm going crazy trying to find a high quality long range optic that doesn't have all the extra stuff that I don't need. I don't need or want illumination; that's just extra weight and added expense for something I don't need. Zero stops are great, but they aren't really necessary for my type of shooting with all of the new high speed turrets. 10 MIL of adjustment per revolution will get me pretty far with whatever I'm shooting with a single turn. The super intricate reticles drive me crazy. I'm a huge fan of the Leupold TMR and some of the simpler Nightforce reticles. The reticle just needs to match the turrets. I don't have a strong preference for SFP or FFP; I have both and like both.

The goal is to find a scope for shooting out to 1500+ yards. Right now I'm running mostly Leupolds (VX-3s and Mk 4s) I've had NF scopes (mostly BR models) and still have a Sightron S III. I really don't have any complaints about the Leupolds. Mine all track reliably and accurately and the glass has never held me back from doing what I want to do. It's just time to buy another scope and I thought it might be time to broaden my horizons.

I've considered the March scopes but I can't find one locally to look at. With all of the different configurations that March offers, it seems like I could find one that falls in line with my wish list of features. To my eyes, the NXS line from NF doesn't offer much if any improvement to the Mk 4 scopes optically. Plus the NXS scopes are considerably heavier and all have illumination which just seems like spending money on something I don't need. I've considered the NF ATACR, but that's just more of the extra features that I don't need to try and gain optical quality with the new ED glass.

As I get up into the really high end scopes, the glass gets better but so does the list of unnecessary features (for my applications).

Is there something out there that I'm missing? Is there a way to move up in optical performance without tacking on all of the extra features? Maybe just a high end target scope would suit my needs?

I'm extremely happy with the 3 Nikon Monarchs I have. Nothing fancy just clear glass and for me repeatable adjustments. Never tried taking one to 1500 yards but my 4-16X50 should have plenty of vertical especially if a 20 MOA base was used.

The IOR is supposed to have amazing glass however, the earlier models have been plagued with failures & the external coating is not very durable. The new models are enjoying a good reputation for reliability & the new MOA reticle looks promising.

I've been looking at March very hard, just as the OP, I haven't been able to get my hands on one yet. That should change next weekend (fingers crossed).

If you want a truly customized scope, being able to choose what features you do or do not want, I recommend you check out US Optics. They allow the customer to pretty much dictate what they want & don't want, the caveat being, the wait time for construction is longer.

t

I bought a March a few weeks ago...like you, I hadn't had the oppty look thru one, and I told Kelbly's my concern. They said I could send it back if I didn't like it and the only cost would be shipping.

They can be hard to find, but that seems like a fair workaround. I took that route but liked it enough to where I have no desire to send it back.

Sounds like you're a dialer, and since you like the TMR reticle you might consider the latest Mk4: Leupold Optics Mark 4 LR/T 8.5-25x50mm (30mm) M1 -
At least get the Alumina flip-ups with it(best available on the market today).

I don't like the TMR, or other noisy reticles myself(I'm a laser ranging, inches hold into wind, dialer). IMO, all scope maker's should offer at least the basic med-fine crosshair.

The NF competition looks interesting also, with CTR-3 reticle:
15-55×52 Competition 2014 Edition | Nightforce Optics, Inc.
It is at least lighter now & with ED glass. Crappy plastic flip-ups or flubber bra though..

New member, just set up my REM .308 5R, I'm using a SIGHTRON..... 8-32x56MM, 2MOA Reticle, 0n a 20 MOA mount
Great scope, they have a 10-50x60MM if you want to get up close...
Great Forum...:)

Attachments

• DSCF0486.jpg
    DSCF0486.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCF0483.jpg
    DSCF0483.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 110
Look at the Bushnell Elite line. They make both hunting and tactical Elite scopes. I prefer the Elite line to the best Nikon. Both are made in Japan.

BTW, most optics experts agree that Meopta has the best quality (excellent) for the money. Cabela's seems to agree as they put their name on many Meopta scopes and binoculars as their high end offerings.

My VX-6 has nothing in the view but a simple fine crosshair. No illumination. It is relatively compact with low profile covered turrets that give 20 MOA per rev. Very clear optics and 6 times zoom range plus pop up to zero turrets. They are way less than a March.

Thanks for the input so far.

I currently have a Sightron SIII 8-32x56 and it's a great scope, but they aren't the toughest out there. Mine stopped tracking and the reticle rotated about 30* after about 30 shots on a 338 Edge. Sightron fixed for free and had it back to me pretty quick, but I'd rather not have to send them in for repair at all! Right now that scope sits on a 13# 6mm BR Striker, so it gets to live a pretty easy life far away from recoil.

I checked out the US optics sight and I can get pretty close to what I'm looking for from them. The hold up there is the weight of their scopes and the large tube diameter. That limits ring choices quite a bit.

I've had a few Bushnell Elite scope over the years. They were all good, but the glass on all of the one's I've looked through and owned were a notch below the VX-3/ Mk4 glass to my eyes. This includes the newer Elite Tactical line. The guy I shoot with has one of the FFP models and it's a good scope, but not better than the Mk 4 to my eyes.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Andrew

Have several Shooters that have Sightron Scopes, Have had no issues, Most on .308's and couple on .300 Mag's and one on a 50 cal...so far your the only one I've heard of that has had a problem, great to know that they took care of you.....Thanks gun)

Try the March. I love the extended zoom on them. Their weight is amazing for what you get. Looked at the VX 6, but I won't buy one that the eye relief changes with the magnification. Bruce

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.