only high dollar optics are quality???

I noticed on this forum the tendency for the use of high dollar glass. Either most here only have one rifle or two or are pretty darned wealthy. Ive got 18 centerfire bolt action and single shot rifles. I sure cant afford to put 2ooo dollar scopes on all of them. I also am not one that believes in putting 100 dollar scopes on ANY of them. Mostly anymore i buy leupold vx2s or 3s or nikon monarchs. Ive got 12 leupolds and 6 nikons right now and havent had a lick of problem with any of them. Ive probably owned another dozen leupolds over the years that got sold with rifles and only once did i use there warantee and that was a 2x7 that i dropped on the floor and even then they replaced it free of charge. Granted the glass might not be in nightforce territory and granted they might not track at a 1000 yards like a nightforce but for what i do with them the glass and tracking is just fine. two brands ive had the most problem with are bushnell and burris. No more of either of those for me and especially bushnell as there customer service SUCKS. I think there schooled in making up excuse why they shouldnt stand behind there warantee. Bottom line is its great to be able to afford high dollar glass and ill never argue that its wasted money but for 99 percent of what all of us do a good 500 dollar scope is all thats needed.

I never considered that. I have 12 centerfires plus muzzle loaders plus scoped handguns, I'm the same way you are except I differ brands and magnifications and features for intended usage.

I agree with both schools of thought. There are some very nice scopes in the $300 - $500 range these days, and most of my rifles wear them. I recently joined the Nightforce community and so far I am very impressed. I will say that the only reason I have a Nighforce is due to the current political climate allowing me to be able to buy and sell black rifle parts to make the money to afford it. I can't imagine ever approaching my wife and trying to convince her that we need Nightforce priced scopes, and that we should pay for them out of our normal incomes.

With that said, had the big O not given me an opportunity to fund my hobby, and I spent the rest of my life not owning a Nightforce priced scope, I am fairly certain my enjoyment of the sport which is everything shooting would not have been diminished in any way.

I ordered the nxs 5.5-22-50 moar reticle and zerostop setup, just couldnt make myself get the sightron although my friend swears by them, i might try the sightron on a different gun though. But for now its a nightforce.gun)

+1 on both comments

One upmanship dominates the American retail scene. Good for manufacturers though.

Reminds me of the guy in the subdivision that has a haf acre to mow but needs a 4 wheel drive diesel tractor with a front end loader and a belly mower when a push mower would have been just fine.....

I sometimes wonder how males justify that stuff to their wives???

One upmanship dominates the American retail scene. Good for manufacturers though.

Reminds me of the guy in the subdivision that has a haf acre to mow but needs a 4 wheel drive diesel tractor with a front end loader and a belly mower when a push mower would have been just fine.....

I sometimes wonder how males justify that stuff to their wives???

if i was pulling the one upsmanship i would have got the beast, i have no use for a s&b or us optics however the nf will work just fine, i do like the sightron but its the point of having to send something back when i should be shooting, or have a scope failure on a monster muley or a big bull. Everything else i hunt as far as game goes i have an outstanding pack of hounds that track and tree to give me a close shot. I dont have to justify anything to my wife, i buy whatever if i can fit it in my small budget that even includes hounds that cost 3 times a nxs. to me it has have a useful purpose unless its a toy but it must work everytime or i wont like it much.:)

I won't bash on anyone that buys a night force. I'd have a dozen if I had the money. But I don't. About $500 is all I can budget for a scope right now. So I make do with so so scopes that aren't crystal clear and don't have super crisp smooth turrets that dial 100% perfect every time. But they ARE good enough to kill just as dead at say 750 yards. Which is far enough at the moment. In the mountain state here right now there is only one place I can hunt past 800 yards. Everywhere else I'm good to go

I have owned just about every scope brand out there. Never had a S&B or Huskemaw. Leupolds were my favorite, until NF came along. Now I have three of them, as well as a March

Have bought and quickly sold Tasco, Simmons, Barska, etc. for various issues. Bushnell denied me a warranty claim, so I no longer buy their products.

You may find a middle line scope, like a Burris or Vortex that will never give you a problem, but your chances for good quality are better if you cry once, pay once for quality.

I guess alot of it comes down to your needs. Im a hunter. I dont sit and shoot a 1000 yards at paper targets. the farthest shot ive ever taken on game is 600 yards. Im not a sniper. I dont dial in my elevation and windage. Once my scope is set for the most part it stays set. My long range hunting doesnt involve much low light shooting. We usually pack up and go home before then. So low light performace isnt a factor except in regular deer season when im at a camp and then the longest shot is probably a 150 yards anyway. Absolute consistancy in adjustments is great if your a navy seal sniper or are shooting 1000 yard competition but id have to doubt many here really fall into those catagorys. The few that due will no doubt be served better by something like a nightforce and should defineately be spending the money. For most of it though it about relates to a guy going to hendrick racing and buying a 100k motor to put in there camero to go and buy grocerys.

i guess alot of it comes down to your needs. Im a hunter. I dont sit and shoot a 1000 yards at paper targets. The farthest shot ive ever taken on game is 600 yards. Im not a sniper. I dont dial in my elevation and windage. Once my scope is set for the most part it stays set. My long range hunting doesnt involve much low light shooting. We usually pack up and go home before then. So low light performace isnt a factor except in regular deer season when im at a camp and then the longest shot is probably a 150 yards anyway. Absolute consistancy in adjustments is great if your a navy seal sniper or are shooting 1000 yard competition but id have to doubt many here really fall into those catagorys. The few that due will no doubt be served better by something like a nightforce and should defineately be spending the money. For most of it though it about relates to a guy going to hendrick racing and buying a 100k motor to put in there camero to go and buy grocerys.

bingo!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts