Ok - I need some help deciding on caliber... PLEASE AND THANK YOU

I think you are correct - this is probably going to be my move. No sense in trying to Frankenstein something to play the role of the 6CM when I can just sell/trade the action and get what I want. I'd really love to have the ANTI-X action, just obviously short action .308 bolt face.... anyone have one they want to trade up?
You can always build what you want and send it in to Unknown Munitions. They'll develop a load or multiple loads that you'll be happy with. It costs something up front, but then you're set for a long while if you don't shoot the daylights out of it. Just hit them up and they'll ship you ammo on as-needed basis. With factory ammo being tough to source these days, custom isn't a bad option. They would build your rifle too if you want 🤠
PS: They did loads for my 270WSM that runs the 103 Apex Afterburner @ 3,800...a ripping lightweight.

Got both as well as 6.8Western and love them all.
NEED Bigger ??
Go with,.. the 7 PRC as, Lots of Hornady Ammo is, already, "out there".
My son is getting, the Savage Ultra lite with, Proof Barrel,.. in 7 PRC
When / IF, my .270 WSM "goes South",.. I'll build, a 7 SAUM, on my Tikka action, next

Last edited:
NEED Bigger ??
Go with,.. the 7 PRC as, Lots of Hornady Ammo is, already, "out there".
My son is getting, the Savage Ultra lite with, Proof Barrel,.. in 7 PRC
When / IF, my .270 WSM "goes South",.. I'll build, a 7 SAUM, on my Tikka action, next
I would do a 7SAUM before I did the 7PRC for the simple fact that the XM length won't fit the 7PRC or am I mistaken?

I'm asking because I found 152 boxes of custom loaded 75gr VMax. I had a thought that I'd really be into that cartridge if it will cycle in the XM - thoughts?
My WAG is that you might encounter proper feeding issues. Even if you resolved the feeding issue, the custom-loaded ammunition might not be loaded for your build. You have been provided sound advice from the LRH community. However, it is a risk/decision you must make yourself.

What? I cannot keep up with you, Brother. I, too, am building a .338 NMI (my own reamer design) for suppressed shooting/hunting. I am looking forward to comparing notes.
Mine will be an NMI as well.

Truthfully what I am doing is replacing my current 300NMI that is built on a Borden Bigfoot action but isn't recommended to be cut for a 4" box. I don't *really need* a 4" box with the Norma's (except for cutting edge single feed bullets) but who knows I may get a wild hair and punch it out to a LMI one day. Just opening up options.

The 300 NMI barreled action is for sale and I would consider selling the whole rifle and just starting over. I had a buyer but he backed out due to the hunt of a lifetime opportunity came up and he had to pass. I can't blame him.

I will have both a 300NMI and a 338 NMI barrel when it's said & done.

Mine will be an NMI as well.

Truthfully what I am doing is replacing my current 300NMI that is built on a Borden Bigfoot action but isn't recommended to be cut for a 4" box. I don't *really need* a 4" box with the Norma's (except for cutting edge single feed bullets) but who knows I may get a wild hair and punch it out to a LMI one day. Just opening up options.

I will have both a 300NMI and a 338 NMI barrel when it's said & done.
Yep, I remember seeing that thread but did not re-visit that you have decided on NM over LM. It is also one of the reasons I went with NM over LM.

.338_Lapua_Magnum_vs_.338_Norma_Magnum.jpg

.338 NM in .338 LM CIP mag.jpg

(Mag is an Accurate Mag .338 LM CIP 3.850")

Yep, I remember seeing that thread but did not re-visit that you have decided on NM over LM. It is also one of the reasons I went with NM over LM.

View attachment 421222
View attachment 421223
(Mag is an Accurate Mag .338 LM CIP 3.850")
Yep same here. And depending on how accurate the calculations in QL are, there isn't a huge gain in performance with the Lapua over the Norma especially for the extra 10 grains of powder burned.

A3CF84B3-5BB8-4091-9C65-5D100E6B706D.jpeg

Recent Posts