Ok - I need some help deciding on caliber... PLEASE AND THANK YOU

6.5 PRC w/ CF barrel 20"-22" 8T w/ 0.750 muzzle. Components available, custom loading and factory available. Monos for your son, 140s-156s for longer range. Fits your action. I built mine on a long action M-70 Extreme Weather and it feeds fine and is sub 1/2 MOA. Built off a 264WM action. Barrel, trigger, bedding, trued the action, good to go. This checks all your current boxes of what you're looking for. Target or hunting. Mine has 0.155 free bore so factory Hornady ammo is jammed so probably stay SAAMI on reamer.

We load custom for the 7wsm but brass is an issue. We also load our loads and custom for the 7 saum and I'm expecting a large shipment of ADG this spring. You could also do a 7 saum improved if you want more horsepower.

Last edited:
All of you have very valid points and I really just got ahead of myself on this one because I have wanted to build on an anti-x action for a long time so when it came up for sale I jumped all over it not really having a specific cartridge in mind since my 6.8W was already done. My initial want of more energy at 1000+ was short lived because I've basically got to be honest with myself on how long of a shot I want to take on an animal. I don't shoot PRS or anything but greatly enjoy targets out to 1700 or so which is covered with my 6.8W as well as my 6.5PRC.

My second thought was to take advantage of the lightweight attribute and build a great little suppressed lighter recoiling rifle for my 10 year old that could double as a coyote/antelope rifle so the 6creed was the obvious choice being that I don't reload. Obviously that was a hasty decision because it just won't work with that action. Sure I could get a different bolt from defiance but it really doesn't lend itself to the XM length. The only obvious choice (since I don't reload) is the 6.5PRC but I've already got one. The 7SAUM, 300WSM, 7WSM, 325WSM are all great calibers that I just don't have the need for right now so getting into reloading for these specific calibers is useless to me. The other suggestions of 25-06, 7LRM, 257 WBY are also fantastic choices with ammo readily available but obviously none of these will fit into the XM length action.

I think the best choice is to either sell the action/bottom metal combo after the holidays or trade it for a standard length/standard bolt face action. Either way I think my anti-x XM length action dreams were short lived. Thank you all for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Ok so here's the deal... I've been playing in the 6.5 and 270 world for decades and I love them for sure but it's time for a little more energy at longer ranges. I recently was able to score an action I've been looking for since early last year and finally found one. I got a defiance anti-x XM length action and I'm trying to decide on what caliber to go with. The biggest problem I have is I am unable to reload as I absolutely do not have the time or equipment so I am limited to factory ammo or more preferable custom ammo such as copper creek, Pendleton, and the like. I would love to do a 7SS or 7SST but obviously that requires reloading and I cannot find anyone that does custom ammo in that caliber so I am leaning toward a 7WSM or 7SAUM (if I can find custom ammo). If those two calibers are not in the cards - what else would be able to deliver 1000ft/lbs at 1000Y+ with good accuracy? I have not excluded a 300WSM or 7STW but the ammo is absolutely the issue here. My goal is a fairly lightweight build that meets my requirements and obviously the caliber is the biggest decision. I am looking for suggestions and ideas with real data and factory/custom ammo suppliers. I am grateful for any info provided, thank you all in advance.
I too love the 6.5 PRC, almost the perfect cartridge, But I went to the 7WSM, on my elk rifle , to get alittle more enegy. I extended the throat .0015, to seat the Hammer monos out alittle farther, and utilize more of the case capacity, If you can get someone to reload for it , it is an awsome round, brass is alittle scarce, but out there.Good Luck!

I've got a custom ammo quote put in for 25 SAUM which I think would be a great cartridge for what I'm talking about doing. If that's too much I'll be running 6.5 PRC or 270WSM both with a lighter bullet.
6.5 PRC and .270 WSM,.. in my family !
Both, "Good" to,.. 800 Yards ( 140 gr, Bullet going,.. 2,000 FPS,.. still ) WITHOUT, the Heavy, Recoil.
Most of, the Deer / Elk that, we kill are,.. LESS than,. 400 Yards