I think I need some help

G

Well, got the new Ken Farrell base on my 300 WSM Win Coyote. Now I'm finnaly on paper. I do however have several questions. Please bear with me.

At 100 yards I'm hitting the bull. Thing is I only have 25 clicks of up elevation left on the scope. Is this normal?? Bear in mind I have a Farrell 15 MOA one piece base as well. If it's normal, I can eliminate that as a problem

Next. While hitting the bull at 100 yards. I decided to try another load I worked up Sierra 165 gr HPBT Game King. With that load, I'm hitting 3 inches below the bull now...Hmmmmmm...IS this normal? does this happen. The other that I was on the bull with is 165 gr Nosler BAllistic tip. I would of thought they would of been close. Both had same powder 66 gr of re-19 Win cases..Win WLRM primers.

Am I fretting over nothing here? Do I need more elevation? Maybe should of got the 20 moa base from farrell.

Please, anyone..Help me sleep tonight!

Thanks in advance

Joe

One more question

if 1 click equals 1/4 at 100 yards

What is it at 200
etc

Joe

One more thing

When I installed the farrel base. The rear of the base needed bedding. I did that, then went ahead and bedded the front of the base

Hmmm...Maybe that was it

Wow, now I have to think you have something seriously wrong with the scope or the rifle. I am a bit surprised at the change in impact with a bullet change in the same weight, but only having 25 clicks or elevation really confuses me. .

Could be the bedding on the mount. That mount is stiff enough that even if you locked the front screw down solid and had a .015 gap at the rear I don't think you could distort the base. If you add material to the rear to bring it even, and then add material to the front later, you have in effect, reduced the taper in the mount. A 4" long 15moa tapered base will have .052" difference in rail height from front to back. If you added that much bedding then you would be where you would have been with a flat base. I doubt that you added that much material, but anything you can remove from the front will help. I would try removing the bedding from the front and see where the zero goes. I have to wonder if the action is true to the bore at this point, or if your scope is on the fritz. Please let me know what you find.

Oh, I have to ask - what did the groups look like, and did you see much variation when the rifle warmed up?

Also, if you want to mess around with this a bit more, you might try shimming the rear of the mount to see what it takes to get to use the full range of adjustment. How many cliks do you get from full up to full down?

A true ¼ inch click at 100 yards will be ½ at 300, ¾ at 300, etc. This is approximate, but it will be close enough to work.

Chessman

Center of scope is about 2 " from center of bore. I'm using the Burris Zee rings (not the signature) As far as groups? About 1 1/2" if that. But then again it was a very very windy day
From top to bottom I have about 225 clicks of elevation about 56.25" of elevation I think.

I hope to god it's not the rifle or the scope. What a pain in the butt. What would be my first steps? Return the rifle to winchester or the scope to Nikon.

Thanks for the help

Oh, I was thinking about adding a shim..But now I'm back to what I didn't want to do to begin with......SHIM

I did take apart my action from the stock to give it it's first cleaning. Could I have tightened the action screws too much. No torqe wrench so I just tightened down real good

Thanks again

Joe

This is very weird. I would think that round shoots flat enough to have put you in the lower half of the scope adjustment with the 15 moa base.

What we don't know is if your installation with the bedding is truly 15 moa to the bore or not. I would recommend removing the front bedding first.

Do you have another rifle you can try the scope on, and another scope to put on this rifle? I would take whatever steps you can to wring this problem out yourself first before sending anything back to the manufacturer.

I doubt that over-torqueing the action would cause this.

Lablover

Just a guess but do you have the base on backwards or is that even possible?

The tall/high side of the base to the back of the action, scope pointing down to barrel.

Also you could loose clicks if you are not centered with windage.

56MOA/2=28MOA+15MOA base= 43MOA if centered

base on backwards 56MOA/2=28-15=13MOA left

Just a thought CAM

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.