Ok - I need some help deciding on caliber... PLEASE AND THANK YOU

PRCLITE

Ok so here's the deal... I've been playing in the 6.5 and 270 world for decades and I love them for sure but it's time for a little more energy at longer ranges. I recently was able to score an action I've been looking for since early last year and finally found one. I got a defiance anti-x XM length action and I'm trying to decide on what caliber to go with. The biggest problem I have is I am unable to reload as I absolutely do not have the time or equipment so I am limited to factory ammo or more preferable custom ammo such as copper creek, Pendleton, and the like. I would love to do a 7SS or 7SST but obviously that requires reloading and I cannot find anyone that does custom ammo in that caliber so I am leaning toward a 7WSM or 7SAUM (if I can find custom ammo). If those two calibers are not in the cards - what else would be able to deliver 1000ft/lbs at 1000Y+ with good accuracy? I have not excluded a 300WSM or 7STW but the ammo is absolutely the issue here. My goal is a fairly lightweight build that meets my requirements and obviously the caliber is the biggest decision. I am looking for suggestions and ideas with real data and factory/custom ammo suppliers. I am grateful for any info provided, thank you all in advance.

Brass supply is the problem even for the custom ammo manufacturers. I threw this chart together after watching an interesting video on Ultimate Reloader I believe. Might help you. 6.5PRC seems to have brass available quite readily now and worth considering. Any 30 cal should get you there but brass is the problem.

Attachments

• Ballistics Chart.pdf
    431.9 KB · Views: 140
I actually think I'm going to go a different route. I've got the 6.8W for hunting out to 1000Y and target for anything out to about 1700Y. I'm going to run with a 6CM for a nice lightweight, suppressed coyote/antelope build. Thanks guys!

I actually think I'm going to go a different route. I've got the 6.8W for hunting out to 1000Y and target for anything out to about 1700Y. I'm going to run with a 6CM for a nice lightweight, suppressed coyote/antelope build. Thanks guys!
From your original post it sounded like your action had a magnum bolt face. Is this not the case?

From your original post it sounded like your action had a magnum bolt face. Is this not the case?
It actually is the case and I realize I got WAY ahead of myself on this one. Back to the drawing board I guess. I'd like to chamber a cartridge that can be used like the 6CM though. I'm thinking maybe a 6.5PRC with 124 hammers or possibly a 25SAUM. Any other suggestions?

Since you have an XM action any of the SAUM, PRC or WSM cartridges will work.

Based on not reloading I'd say your choices are fairly limited. I would check the custom ammo manufacturers and see what offerings they have or the easy button would be the 300WSM but premium ammo for 1000 yard shooting is going to be limited to non-existent.

Since you have an XM action any of the SAUM, PRC or WSM cartridges will work.

Based on not reloading I'd say your choices are fairly limited. I would check the custom ammo manufacturers and see what offerings they have or the easy button would be the 300WSM but premium ammo for 1000 yard shooting is going to be limited to non-existent.
I've got a custom ammo quote put in for 25 SAUM which I think would be a great cartridge for what I'm talking about doing. If that's too much I'll be running 6.5 PRC or 270WSM both with a lighter bullet.

I've got a custom ammo quote put in for 25 SAUM which I think would be a great cartridge for what I'm talking about doing. If that's too much I'll be running 6.5 PRC or 270WSM both with a lighter bullet.
Well that puts you right where you already are with calibers.

If you are going to do a 25 SAUM, make it a fast twist so you can shoot the heavy bullets. But I'm not sure it will meet you original Enery requirements at 1k.

If you go custom ammo route I'd keep it 7mm or 30 cal and shoot the highest BC bullet you can find like Hornady ATips. Or for a lighter weight high BC option consider badlands or maybe Cutting Edge.

Well that puts you right where you already are with calibers.

If you are going to do a 25 SAUM, make it a fast twist so you can shoot the heavy bullets. But I'm not sure it will meet you original Enery requirements at 1k.

If you go custom ammo route I'd keep it 7mm or 30 cal and shoot the highest BC bullet you can find like Hornady ATips. Or for a lighter weight high BC option consider badlands or maybe Cutting Edge.
My original want was to be able to have a good bit of energy at 1k which obviously isn't going to happen with a 25SAUM in a 20" barrel. My mindset changed when I started thinking about a coyote/antelope build and my need for hunting energy at 1k was abandoned. I'm still in the mindset of a lightweight, short, suppressed coyote/antelope build. The 6.5PRC and 270WSM are both overkill for that type of duty which is why I'm stuck on a quarter bore or something in the 6mm family. Being that I have the XM action with mag bolt face I'm probably barking up the wrong tree with a small bore cartridge but it's what I'd like to do.

I'd sell the action and start reloading before I'd build a wildcat cartridge in these times. Not to mention, no guarantee that the rifle will shoot that ammunition well.

Or

Sell or trade the action for one with an appropriate bolt face and get back on track with a 6 Creed. Ammo has been available even through this shortage mess and likely will shoot really well.

That is my best suggestion for you.

Good Luck,
Steve

I'd sell the action and start reloading before I'd build a wildcat cartridge in these times. Not to mention, no guarantee that the rifle will shoot that ammunition well.

Or

Sell or trade the action for one with an appropriate bolt face and get back on track with a 6 Creed. Ammo has been available even through this shortage mess and likely will shoot really well.

That is my best suggestion for you.

Good Luck,
Steve
I think you are correct - this is probably going to be my move. No sense in trying to Frankenstein something to play the role of the 6CM when I can just sell/trade the action and get what I want. I'd really love to have the ANTI-X action, just obviously short action .308 bolt face.... anyone have one they want to trade up?