Ok, Humor me here.... 30-30 for a saddle gun

So much for breathing life into the ol cowboy gun, that this started started as.
Too good to be true I guess.:rolleyes: Too bad too. I was really looking forward to an epic thread, with a few success stories tacked on in the end with a nostalgic firearm.

Not to be "rude" but don't you already have a ton of rifles that fit the LR, & ExtremeLR bill? Why don't you just have a custom scabbard built & save a ton of $$$?

I'm in full agreement that one can never own too many kick *** firearms, but that's material for a whole different thread. This thread had some real potential for the first couple pages.
Reality rears it's ugly head again. LOL! If a scabbard is all you need Broz, I've got one that will hold a bolt gun 26" + 2 inch break that I'll donate to the wolf killing cause. It's just extended a bit, and could be extended a bit more. I don't know how long a fellow could get away with, but that length has served ok and proved usable. PM your info and I'll send it if that's all that's slowing stuff down.

I only have 3 LR rigs. the 6br that weighs as much as my 338 LM , my 300 win which has a 28" plus brake and my 16lb 338 Lm. I will most likely use the 300 win on the "designated" wolf hunts, but what I want is a rifle that is suited for a everytime out scabbard rifle. Something asy to carry with out being in the way and to cumbersome while mountain riding. Again if I set out to go after wolves exclusively I will have my 300 win or 338 LM along.

Harper I will buy that scabbard, as it will give me options when carrying different rifles. PM coming your way. Thanks

Winmag, it is exactly the fear that BnG spoke of that is killing the lever gun thing. They just will not cut it at 500 plus or probably 400 for that matter. I do love em too. But I have walked many miles and spent well over $1200 on gas and motels this past season looking to get within striking distance of a pack. The closest I got was 1836 yards ranged with my PLRF10. I screwed up trying to ge closer and wish now I would have just taken a poke. So when I get within striking distance again, I want to do as much as I can to have what I need to seal the deal. Not that I wouldnt love to have a pic of one I took with an old lever gun, but I am doing my best to be as affective as I can for next season. It has done turned into a vendetta.

Jeff

What weight bullet to stretch it out there?
The Hornady FTX bullets work wonderfully; but I usually load cartridges singly so I'll use just about any 30cal bullet there is.

Using the open sight for closer and the tang peep for longer shots what do you think I could accuratly get out to?
My furthest with my peep is 575 yards.

I've only shot 3 shots beyond 400 yards using iron sights so far.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svOgwF3Va4k]30-30 Another Miss - YouTube[/ame]

The stock sights get me to 400 yards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Winmag, it is exactly the fear that BnG spoke of that is killing the lever gun thing. They just will not cut it at 500 plus or probably 400 for that matter.

I feel totally confident with my Winchester at 400 yards.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfzvRIAo24I]Win94 in 30-30, FTX, 400 Yards - YouTube[/ame]
If I had a 500 yard shot on my range I'd probably feel confident at 500 yards also. My rifle is .5moa accurate, the sights are the limiting factor, I'd bet yours is just as accurate.

BROZ- i have the ideal saddle gun for montana or any where else there are big varmints for sale on gunbroker right now . the rifle will handle most anything . especially the pics after the kill. sorry no link. item 279531771. browning model 71.

Broz, my family has three carbine and one full rifle 30-30's, also one 25-35 carbine, one 32 Win Spl rifle and one 38-55 rifle all Model 94's. All are capable of good accuracy espcially with receiver or tang peep sights. I would consider effective range of a 30-30 to be around 200 yards with open sights. I use the Barnes 150 grain TSX FP. Shoots very well, with 2" groups at 150 yards. They are good rifles for the designed purpose. MEV

I would consider effective range of a 30-30 to be around 200 yards with open sights. I use the Barnes 150 grain TSX FP. Shoots very well, with 2" groups at 150 yards. They are good rifles for the designed purpose. MEV

I am with you. I feel I would be in at 200 with my rifle and a good load. I just have this fear of the chance of a 500 plus shot.

Thanks for the load info!!!!!

Jeff

BROZ- i have the ideal saddle gun for montana or any where else there are big varmints for sale on gunbroker right now . the rifle will handle most anything . especially the pics after the kill. sorry no link. item 279531771. browning model 71.

That is beautiful!!!!!!!! There is no way I could ever stick that rifle in a scabbard. But you are right, it sure would look good in dead wolf pic.

Jeff

A Handi-Rifle might be a viable platform for the job. Short, flat, sturdy, cheap. A 7-08 or 308 would offer good handload options for LR.

You could mount a pic rail (EGW makes them) and have a scope like a Bushnell 3200 10X in QR rings in a saddlebag, and rely on the irons for quick close shots, or mount the scope if you have some time/distance.

Just a thought. It would give a lot more reach than the 30-30 levergun, while still being a bonafide beater-gun that would ride in a scabbard fairly well.

A Handi-Rifle might be a viable platform for the job. Short, flat, sturdy, cheap. A 7-08 or 308 would offer good handload options for LR.

You could mount a pic rail (EGW makes them) and have a scope like a Bushnell 3200 10X in QR rings in a saddlebag, and rely on the irons for quick close shots, or mount the scope if you have some time/distance.

Just a thought. It would give a lot more reach than the 30-30 levergun, while still being a bonafide beater-gun that would ride in a scabbard fairly well.

Thats a good thought Shane. Do you feel the QR rings will set back up and retain zero after being removed and replaced?

Jeff

Jeff,

I don't know from experience on the various QR rings. The Badger style rings seem to always go back on and be within .5 moa of where they were. Usually cannot see any change at all.

I was just thinking the turrets in a saddle scabbard would be a pretty rough torture test over time, so a QR option might be the best way to have a LR scope that would work when you need it.

If you went in that direction, no reason you couldn't also carry a bipod and a beanbag in the saddlebag as well.

/grin......

I hear they make a 16" barrel 50 BMG Carbine .... put a suppressor on it, get your laser range finder, get your portable bench, portable Bench Rest, portable Tent, portable Chair, an Ice Chest, some Brews, and go out and have a fine time !!!! Oh...dont forget your PDA ... maybe a portable generator... I know I am forgetting 1 or 2 things /sigh

gun)

Then again maybe a 7-30 Waters --
7-30 Waters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry man, could not help it :) Seriously though it should be interesting to see where you "land" !

Have a good one sir,
Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.