30" fully floated barrel on Rem 700 LA ok?

jmden

30\" fully floated barrel on Rem 700 LA ok?

What do you think about a 7 or 8 contour, fluted, 30" barrel full floated on the Rem 700 SS long action? Is that stressing the action too much, etc.? This is a fully bedded action in a laminate stock.

Re: 30\" fully floated barrel on Rem 700 LA ok?

Jmden,

I have built a tone of 30" barreled 700 based rifles, many with #8 contours and even the Lilja heavy straight taper. I would not go any heavier then this but these will work fine.

I would however recommend pillar bedding the stock so that you can torque the receiver screws down to the proper specs and not worry about the wood compressing which it will even with a laminated wood stock. Get her pillared and you will be fine, without pillars I would not recommend this much weight hanging off the receiver.

Kirby Allen(50)

BTW, Fiftydriver, I'm working with Dave Kiff at PTG to develop a 300 RUM Ack Imp. He already has reamers for one he's designed, I'm just shortening the case neck a bit to blow the shoulders forward some more and straightening the case body a bit more. Have you see/worked with any of these? I'm planning on having Benchmark Barrels (Ron Sinnema) make and chamber the 30" barrel this post was originally about. Does that combo sound like a good long range rig to you? I expect I'll be going through the barrels with that chambering, but I'll have the reamer to myself--just make another barrel. I'm thinking of a 30", 3-groove 11 twist barrel. What to you think?

I'm having the reamer made so that the 200g Nosler Accubond will be on the lands when the bearing surface/boatail junction is about .020 below the case neck/shoulder junction. This should give me more time to play with the barrel as I'll have a few thousandths worth of rifling to burn up before I can't touch the lands. That's my current thinking anyway. Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Jmden,

Sounds like a great performer to me. The parent case is relatively improved as it sits but you can get a bit more out of it with the sharper shoulder.

As far as pushing the shoulder forward. I have read a couple different tests concerning throat life in relationship to neck length and shoulder angle. Simply put the shorter the neck, the shorter the throat life. Also, the shallower the shoulder angle the shorter the throat life.

Now obviously these are very general comments. A 30-06 has a very shallow shoulder angle and a very long throat life but this is what the tests reporter as finding.

I like to try to keep at least 1 caliber of neck length on my wildcats that are under 30 cal for what its worth.

As far as your barrel choice, it sounds great, If you ever want to try the real heavy 30 cal bullets like the 220 gr Mk or possibly even the 240 gr, I would go with the 1-10 twist.

If you will be shooting bullets no heavier then a 200 gr VLD, then the 1-11 should work perfectly well.

All in all, it should be a real long range hammer!!!

Keep us posted.

Kirby Allen(50)

Ron at benchmark barrels is a great guy to deal with. I have had about 5 of his barrels and they were all great. I think benchmark is one of the best barrels out there for the money. I have a 30-338 laupa mag improved with a 30 inch benchmark 1-10 twist. It works great. Shoots 150 interbonds at 3750 FPs no problem with .25 inch accuracy. Good luck with your project. Your ultra imp should be very similar to my 30 laupa imp and hopefully your results will be as good. Thanks Reed

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.