Ok, Humor me here.... 30-30 for a saddle gun

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/defensive-edge-sheep-hunter-280-ack-imp-30684/

I think this is the ideal rifle to fit the build purpose!! I say stay with the 7mm-300, your set up for it and fits in the whole program and you would have solid data for a broad range of barrel lengths. Besides you won't be able to shoot a weeny 168gr VLD when there is a 195gr :D

I may be thinking about what I would build to much, I really need to build a rifle like this cause my LR rifles are costing me to many chip shots on nice game!!
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/defensive-edge-sheep-hunter-280-ack-imp-30684/

You might be right. The longer we go I like to add diameter too. If we keep it short we will lighten the contour. I would look for .800" at the muzzle minimum.

We get 3175 to 3200 from this chambering in a 28 1/2" with the 180's. Right at, or just over 3130 from a 26" with a 180. So I figured the 195 in a 24" @3000. But that was just a guess from the last few we built.

The JP compensator brake I like to use only adds 1.400" when installed like I like them. So a 241/2 " tube would still leave me under 26" total.

Jeff

Most likely you'll lose velocity more rapidly going below 26". At least that is the case with a 7STW. But for argument sake if you lost another 50fps that would put you at roughly 3080fps with 180's in a 24". A faster twist and 15grs more bullet will probably drop you below 3000fps but it's not something I'd sweat. Think of it just like your .300wm but with a way better BC and a slightly lighter bullet.

A Hart 5.5 contour with a .750 muzzle at 26" will probably put you at .770-.780 muzzle diameter at 24.5". You could have them leave a little longer flat so it pushes the taper out further and it should get you to .800 at 24.5". They would probably do a custom contour with less taper too though. A Sendero contour a 24.5" would be closer to .850".

I think this is the ideal rifle to fit the build purpose!! I say stay with the 7mm-300, your set up for it and fits in the whole program and you would have solid data for a broad range of barrel lengths. Besides you won't be able to shoot a weeny 168gr VLD when there is a 195gr :D

I may be thinking about what I would build to much, I really need to build a rifle like this cause my LR rifles are costing me to many chip shots on nice game!!

I have a #4 fluted 26" long in .30-8mm and the muzzle jump shooting 190gr VLD's, even with a brake, is too much IMO. That makes it too hard to see the impact or recover for a follow up shot, especially shooting from a bipod. It would probably work OK with a .280AI because it's nearly 20grs less powder capacity but I bet shooting heavy bullets it would still jump pretty good.

I hunt deer a lot off of my motorcycle and have had the same problem when my LR gun is strapped down on the bike. I had a wolf jump in the trail in front of me at 30yds and couldn't get my gun off the bike fast enough for a shot. So I built a 18" barreled .284 win. that will fit on the handle bars without banging into everything I ride by. Anything inside of 500yds is in trouble from the .284. If they are further then that usually you have time to get the LR gun out.

I have a #4 fluted 26" long in .30-8mm and the muzzle jump shooting 190gr VLD's, even with a brake, is too much IMO. That makes it too hard to see the impact or recover for a follow up shot, especially shooting from a bipod. It would probably work OK with a .280AI because it's nearly 20grs less powder capacity but I bet shooting heavy bullets it would still jump pretty good.

I hunt deer a lot off of my motorcycle and have had the same problem when my LR gun is strapped down on the bike. I had a wolf jump in the trail in front of me at 30yds and couldn't get my gun off the bike fast enough for a shot. So I built a 18" barreled .284 win. that will fit on the handle bars without banging into everything I ride by. Anything inside of 500yds is in trouble from the .284. If they are further then that usually you have time to get the LR gun out.

Don't get me wrong, really like a #5 but a guy would have to use a heavier stock than the McMillian Hunter.
I have a 7 RUM in a #4 that is unbraked and muzzle flip isn't an issue if I don't get loose, recoil is brutal but I can see hits and require targets fine if I watch my form so the recoil goes where it's supposed to. I should brake to control recoil though, I'll order one of your brakes, I've been meaning to give them a shot and that would be a good barrel for one lightbulb

For inside 500 yards a .308 built for the 130 / 155 - ish grain bullets sporting a 16.5" barrel in medium palma taper would be most excellent. My mentor has a Rem 788 configured like that and it absolutely get it done For What It Is Built For....

Honestly LR, and Muzzle Brake, and HORSES.... man I would Hate to be your horse! Not only a magnum but a braked mag?? Holy S#!% ..

A bit of straight up blunt honesty is in order here sir. I truly respect you Broz, but sir you are getting WAY carried away here! Have you considered a 25-06 Imp...? How about a 6.5x55 BJAI ? If that leaves ya cold perhaps a 6.5-284? How about the possibility of a 6mm Super LR, or a well built .243? 6mm Rem? 6mm Rem AI? 6XC is actually well designed and will "carry the mail" Out to respectable distances without excessive drama.

For that matter, the old 6.5 Rem Mag if you build it right and hand load exclusively is actually pretty close to awesome. I would use a Winchester Short Mag action for the 3.1" mag length to make this old dog shine with today's new powders.

Broz, I really do respect you man but a Magnum On Horseback is truly mid-evil. I know folks do it often but have mercy :)

Hope I didn't **** you off sir!
Gary

I have some light MPI stocks that will fit #5 barrels but it's just harder to shoot them as accurate as a stock with a wide forend and some weight IMO. I have one that has a slightly wider and flat forend that I'm going to try on my 7-300wm when I get my Obermeyer barrel. If I don't like it then it's back to a heavy stock or I might try building a stock. A buddy of mine does a lot of carbon fiber work so I might recruit him to try and build something like a Greybull just lighter.

BTW I should have some .875 brakes by the end of the week. The have the smaller ports in them so they can be turned down as small as .810 and then tapered.

I have some light MPI stocks that will fit #5 barrels but it's just harder to shoot them as accurate as a stock with a wide forend and some weight IMO. I have one that has a slightly wider and flat forend that I'm going to try on my 7-300wm when I get my Obermeyer barrel. If I don't like it then it's back to a heavy stock or I might try building a stock. A buddy of mine does a lot of carbon fiber work so I might recruit him to try and build something like a Greybull just lighter.

BTW I should have some .875 brakes by the end of the week. The have the smaller ports in them so they can be turned down as small as .810 and then tapered.

That .875 brake was the one I was thinking! I'm very picky about the brake taper, the brake has to complement the barrel lines as best as it can, I hate them looking like a potato jammed on the end of the barrel. I forgot to ask if your brakes are hardened.

Gary, it's all good, no offence taken at all. But remember earlier in this thread I stated I may use this rifle on occation to take an elk too. That is why I don't want to go smaller than 7mm. I have a 25-06, a 6 mm and some other squirrel rifles already. :) The things that are taking me in the direction I am are the two things that will be the biggest obstacles. Long distances, and wind. Up where we often see wolves distance and wind are almost always part of the shooting solution. I really don't think these wolves will lay down for a leg shot from a small bullet either. Heck, I wounded a yote last winter durring a spray and pray session with the ar 15. The next morning I tracked him 2 miles then seen another dog in the flats below. So i went and set up on him and dumped him. Turned out to be the one I was tracking with dried blood where he took one in the ear and also one high in the rear leg the night before.:D Now, it is true, I rarely go under gunned. But I am of the school of get em down and dead as fast as possible.

As for the horse, and brake. Really out in the open the brakes are not that bad. The rains will be dropped and I will find Boone later. If I have to walk out, I will. But he will probably beat me home.:D However we are training and working on making him bomb proof too.

Jeff

I can see it now, Broz calling Walkers game ears "Hey can you make me some game ears for my horse Boone". "He left me walking after I shot next to twice now". Or he'll have some ear muffs made for his horse.

That .875 brake was the one I was thinking! I'm very picky about the brake taper, the brake has to complement the barrel lines as best as it can, I hate them looking like a potato jammed on the end of the barrel. I forgot to ask if your brakes are hardened.

No they aren't. You don't need it as long as you maintain the thickness of the top and bottom web. It would take a lot of shooting to erode the exit hole excessively too.

Whoops, forgot about the Elk stipulation, my bad! I agree about putting them down in a sane and consistent manner. My personal creed these days (hard learned over the years) is 2000 fps and 1000 Ft.Lbs delivered at target or never mind -- assuming it is "big game" and not small stuff which is a whole different matter.

I know you can hammer bigger game with less... but back in 2007 I had the chance to go out of state and fill a muley tag in northern NM near the colorado border. I took a marginal shot at about 880 ranged with my Swede and we ended up tracking all bloody night :( Then on top of that the **** 6pt muley was in the bottom of a fairly steep ravine. I decided next time I would have my 300WM ( the one I sold that next year to my Bro & Law ) :) I have not had the opportunity to go out of state again, so I have some time yet to build something with enough thump to Definitely get it done. Still thinking about a .277 Ruger EOL :) Those 170gr Berger EOL's sound like real good medicine.

LOL at the game ear! It would not surprise me to hear that Walker Game Ear would actually take on such a project :D 15-20 mi. in would make for a hella hike out if laden with a nice buck!

Have a good one,
Gary

I can see it now, Broz calling Walkers game ears "Hey can you make me some game ears for my horse Boone". "He left me walking after I shot next to twice now". .

LOL, Maybe, But if there are dead wolve I will be smiling all the way singing "Another One Bites the Dust!" :D:D

gun)-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff

Broz, This has thread has gone the whole circle from the 30-30 to the 50BMG. I have reviewed all of your senarios and think I have a solution for you. I think the solution may be a change in your horse. While he/she may be your trusted stead a change to a ride with a little more umph to carry a variety of LRH weapons in a readily accesable case [you may need to design something to fit] it would also be a plus if your mount was deaf [no game ears needed] and was willing to have a shooting rest mounted to it's neck [no need to dismount for the shot].
Hate to dis your horse but it seems to be the link that has you in a quandry. This is all in fun hope you keep us posted with a picture of your final build.

I was watching something like Wild Russia,few nights back.And heres these guys riding reindeer, now thats what I need:D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts