Nickel plate bullets OK for new gun?

dulzura

Just got my second 7mm. TC Venture, blue. I ordered Federal Premium Trophy Bonded 160gr. ammo from Cabelas for the first box as this might be the round I choose for my upcomming elk hunt. The thing that woke me right up upon inspection was that the bullets (not just the cases) are nickel plated. I know that there is a minority group which thinks that there is a "break-in" procedure needed, but I'm not (yet) in this camp of thinking. The theory of break-in as I understand it is that the removal of the copper during the first shots replaced by lubrication helps the bullet smooth the bore, resulting in a more accurate rifle. How would nickel plated bullets act in a new bore? Would it not smooth without depositing?

Last edited:
I wouldn't concern yourself with it. You can use them for break in if you want. Doesn't matter what they are made of. Chamber'em, shoot'em, repeat!:Dgun)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.