Ok, Humor me here.... 30-30 for a saddle gun

I think that a 20"-22" barrelled M70 (reliable feeding) with a bell and carlson stock (not too cheap but not junk), and topped with a 2.5-10 X40 of some sort with short capped turrets, would do the trick. no bi-pod, just a quick adjust sling thats keept as tight as possible to allow you to wrap your arm.

I knowt that I could never make the change to levers, they are just too limited on practical range. The AR's are too heavy.

If your going to be swayed to a lever gun, go for the Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70.

Your on the right track with the 7mm, and since you have the dies. It will easily surpass your 700 mark for wolfs, fit the scabbard fine.

How light would you be able to build an AR in 7mm08 or 260?
I would think if you picked out each component you could make one fairly light.

How light would you be able to build an AR in 7mm08 or 260?
I would think if you picked out each component you could make one fairly light.

I am not as worried about the weight as much as I would be the mass and lack of a scabbard to carry it in. I want this to be something that is easy enough to carry so I can have it along all the time I am up in the mountains. For designated wolf, elk and bear hunts my custom 300 win or 338 LM will be hauled. But I dont want to subject them to the everyday abuse of trail and mountain riding. This rifle needs to be small in dimentions, short as possible and tough as nails to stay on zero. I am thinking the 7mm project is going to be the ticket with a low mounted 2.5x10 NXS in double rings.

Jeff

I will allways love and will allways use my model 94. it shoots 2 in groups at 100. In the woods under 100 yds that is what I carry.

Been mulling this over! McMillan Hunter stock, it's more conventional but with cast of and the over all design of the stock it should handle very well in all shooting positions, blind mag so it's always got three in the bottom on an empty chamber and no crap that can hang up on the bottom. Hart #4 barrel, fits stock and has enough meat for a brake, about 24in plus a couple for a brake should let it fit a scabbard or be real handy jumping out of the truck. I was looking at scopes and Vortex has a 2.5-10x44 PST, get a BDC knob cut for it and all a guy would need is a range finder and I bet inside 800 yards things would be seriously in trouble. I think something along these lines would make a solid, every day, shoot in any position, horse/truck gun that a guy could just pull out and use every day!
It would also be a good kind of rifle to take into the timber if a guy had to track down something for someone shooting "premium hunting" bullets.:D

BnG, I am with you 100%, except maybe the 2.5~10 x32 NXS for glass in 3 ultra light NF rings on a 10 or 20 moa NF steel rail. Also we just as well order a 7mm tube, 24" Hart with a 8 1/2 twist for the 195 Bergers. Chamber it with my 7mm/300 win reamer. That will send them over 3000 with ease from some of the Lapua brass I have stashed.

Jeff gun)-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------lightbulb

You might even squeak a little more barrel length keeping the overall length at 26" if you use a shorter brake. I'd use a #5 or 5.5 at a minimum though. The horse is doing most of the packing anyway. I'm not sure you'll get 3000fps easily with 195's in a 24" barrel but even if it's 2900fps it will do the job with a .800+ BC.

You might even squeak a little more barrel length keeping the overall length at 26" if you use a shorter brake. I'd use a #5 or 5.5 at a minimum though. The horse is doing most of the packing anyway. I'm not sure you'll get 3000fps easily with 195's in a 24" barrel but even if it's 2900fps it will do the job with a .800+ BC.

You might be right. The longer we go I like to add diameter too. If we keep it short we will lighten the contour. I would look for .800" at the muzzle minimum.

We get 3175 to 3200 from this chambering in a 28 1/2" with the 180's. Right at, or just over 3130 from a 26" with a 180. So I figured the 195 in a 24" @3000. But that was just a guess from the last few we built.

The JP compensator brake I like to use only adds 1.400" when installed like I like them. So a 241/2 " tube would still leave me under 26" total.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.