caliber for new gun

kyumanaz

I have not hunted since I went into the military in 1991. Prior to that I had a Rem 700 in 243, and a Ruger in 7mm mag. I have 2 of 3 boys that I am dead set on starting them out with a 243, but I am not sure as to what caliber to get myself. I am looking for something to hunt deer and elk with, something that I can shoot to 500 yards with, and something that is as cheap as possible to reload. I used to be a groundhog hunting nut, and love to make 300+ yard shots. I am looking at getting my sons more into the outdoors, and with 3 of us to outfit, that wont be cheap. I'm looking into Savage and Howa. Any other suggestions? Any Advise welcome. Does a 270 tear up meat in whitetail?

270 WSM, Deadly on elk to at least 800 with the right load, chambered in several good factory rifles, light and handy in the field, easy to find good brass, most factory barrels are 1 in 10 twist so they will stabilize 150's (high BC)

I would take a close look at the 7mm rem mag. It is easy to find components for is capable of long range shots and is plenty big for elk. You will have a huge selection of bullet weight and design and a much better choice of brass than you would in a wsm or saum plus in a pinch you can get factory loads just about anywhere that sells ammo.

I think I would first make sure the rifle fits the boys. Then, many different cal's. will fit your bill, the .308 or .30-06, for example will do what you want and very affordable to load for. From there, you can pick any cal. you want, but keep in mind that the larger the case, the more expensive the components (per round) become.

remington 700 sps varmint for them. a sendero 7mm mag for you . suggest you start reloading. you can vary your loads , cheaper too. are you in az?

I am in Yuma, AZ but moving back east. I reloaded for about 9 years before going into the military. I am a big fan of the 243, that is why I am buying my sons that caliber. One rifle in a youth model, and one regular. I am looking at Savage rifles mainly. Looking into a Lee loader kit. Used the handy press growing up, but want on to mount on the table.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.