New Caliber

I agree...Anyone else sick of hearing about how the .26 Nosler is gonna be the best thing since sliced bread? I know I am. It hasn't even come out yet...It could be a complete bust.

I also agree that it is entirely too overbore.

Also goes to show you how many people blindly follow trends...

+100 I hate when these trends happen and everyone jumps on a band wagon proclaiming something is better than sliced bread haha. I could neck down a .378 Weatherby to 6.5 and talk it up and down and how its flat to 600yds and blah blah blah. In the end though it would be lucky to get 600 rounds out of a barrel and would burn 30gr more powder than the .264 which is already overbore enough. Junk is what it would be haha.

ok, I have been following this thread from the begining and I see a term used alot. "overbore" could someone please explain this to a guy who is pretty new to all this different caliber stuff????

ok, I have been following this thread from the begining and I see a term used alot. "overbore" could someone please explain this to a guy who is pretty new to all this different caliber stuff????
"Overbore" Cartridges Defined by Formula within AccurateShooter.com

basically when you get to a certain point there is less and less to be had in terms of velocity gain for more powder burned. 80 grains of powder in a 7mm is overbore but 80 grains of powder in a 37 cal. is not.

I figure if a practical 6.5 could be made larger, faster, flatter, and reliable Weatherby would have done it. They love to super charge everything but they left this one alone. I will wait to see real world results before I get one. OH, and trust me. If it proves up I do want one. I am a 6.5 fan. Just haven't committed yet

Count me among those blind trend followers. WhileI see your point about being "entirely too overbore" I think there is a place for a non-belted case of this size in a mainstream factory cartridge. The overbore designation, which implies a mismatch between bore size and powder burn rate, is somewhat mitigated with new powders like RL-33 which was designed with overbore cartridges in mind. Of course I'm also thinking about wildcatting and when you neck the 26 Nosler up, at some point the "overbore" designation goes away. There are similar sized non-belted cartridges already on the market but they aren't from mainstream vendors like Nosler. The stuff from Dakota comes to mind which they offer all the way up to 45 cal. In 6.5 mm this will be the new king of the hill in a factory round. And when you neck it up it just gets better. Case capacity is almost up with the 7mm STW but not quite at 93 grains H2O (my estimate) versus97 grains for the STW (the 7mm Dakota holds 89.0 grains H2O). Guys really like the STW though you could accuse it of being overbore. Necked upto 7mm, the 26 Nosler should provide similar performance to the STW but with a 30-06 length COAL. What is not to likeabout that? So, I have no problem with Noslerd eveloping it on their dime. I can leave it sit on the shelf if I don't like it – assuming of course that I can ever find any on the shelf which still seems to be a problem.

Just like the rest of you, i think its way too overbore. I highly doubt its going to get popular. Im a HUGE 6.5 caliber fan but not this one. Its totally worthless in my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.