New barrel caliber

terpstra

I have a Rem 700 30-06 that has a barrel that I believe has seen its better days. I am left with a good long action that I would like to build off of, but am having a hard time deciding on a good caliber. For the most part I would like it to be effective at moderate (300-400) yards on medium sized game, and accurate for those long range targets and varmints. I would be willing to listen to as many different opinions as possible.

Well if you do not want another 30/06 then I would go with a 6.5-284. They shoot flat buck the wind and hold enough energy for what you want to shoot with it. They also have mild recoil and do not use a lot of powder.

RemRocket762,

I would agree with all the calibers listed but I would have to go against the currect traditional opinion on which caliber to use.

For the receiver you have, I would recommed one of two rounds, either the 6.5-06 AI or the 280 AI.

Simply because they pose zero feeding issues at all with your receiver and would nearly match the ballsitic performance of the WSM rounds and are a fair bit over the 284 wildcats.

Again, current opinions on case design will tell you that teh short fat cases are the most accurate. On paper that may be true but in quality rifles, they all shoot EXTREMELY well.

For your needs, I would recommend the 6.5-06 AI using the 100 gr Ballistic Tips or 95 gr V-Max bullets for moderate range varminting, the 120 gr bullets for deer size game out to 400 yards and the 140 A-Max and 142 gr Wildcat ULD for long range shooting.

The 6.5-06 AI will drive a 140 gr bullet to well over 3000 fps in a 26" barrel which is plenty for extreme range shooting consistancy.

Cheap to load, easy to build, feeds like a dream and will offer 1/4 moa consistancy with top loads.

This would be my pick for a project like yours.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

What Kirby said! He consistantly puts a lot of thinking and past experience into everything he says, and if he says it, you can take it to the bank!

6mm-06 is a wonderful round. That way you can also use your brass. You probably have to neck then to 25-06 first step. The 100 grain bullets in the 3300 fps range would have mild recoil and very deadly on small animals.

I agree with most all suggestions, I have a 6/06A.I. and have made brass from 30-06 but got best results from 25/06 new brass it's not that expensive.I have killed dozens of white tail deer with mine it will make them do flips and I'm not using large bullets, just small ones that are screaming. This caliber is very similar to the .240WBY. oh it doesn't have double radius shoulder or the cosmetic appeal belt. Like Kirby said the .264 necking would be cool as well.

Everybody talked all around the 25-06 but it is a really nice cartridge. Not the fastest 25 cartridge but still really fast.
Fits your bolt face, action and brass. Great long range varmint round, really good antelope, deer round. Pretty good bullet selection in 25 cal.

If you like the double radius (and I do), the 240 weatherby fits the 30-06 bolt face. Range for deer will not be quite as good as some of the larger calibers mentioned by others but will be good for the ranges you mention - 300-400yds AND THEN SOME MORE. I am using it on a F N mauser action and am happy, do not know anything about it on a Rem action. Cost of brass may be a little (or a lot) more but how often do you buy new brass.

Yes BBob the 240WBY will work well a friend of mine has one built on a 788 action with Hart barrel! He enjoys looking at the rounded shoulders and the nice belt also.The 25/06 rem is also an excellent caliber I had one but shot it out,I don't guess it matters much what you build just so you can really enjoy shooting it and get a reasonable ammount of service in the process.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.