New Barrel/Caliber

Knothead08

Ladies and Gentlemen,
I currently have a Winchester Model 70 Heavy Varmint (similar to stealth with a stainless barrel) chambered in 22-250 rem. I used the rifle in competition for a few years and the throat on the barrel eroded to the point our gunsmith said it is no longer safe to shoot. The delema I have is that with the large quantity of accurate short action rounds available I am unsure what I want to rechamber it in when I get a new barrel. Will probably use the rifle for varmint/target shooting out to ~400 yds depending on what caliber I go with. I have no problem with rebarreling in 22-250 but would like other opinions on other calibers to consider.

How about the 6 BR? Longer barrel life, super accurate, minimal recoil, and great brass available. Would fit your SA magazine even with long bullets. You could even have your exising barrel rebored and rifled if you wanted instead of buying a new barrel.

Link for 6BR: 6mmBR Cartridge Guide within AccurateShooter.com
Quote from 6BR link:

"The 6BR is superbly accurate, very efficient, and very versatile. A 6BR can set world records at 600 yards (and even 1000), yet it is easy to tune, and it is just as well suited for a long day in the varmint fields."

link for reboring/rifling: Classic Barrel Works

22-250 works for me again. ALso a 243 Win or AI version if you want a PITA....lol 6mmBR is a sweetie but you end up with a single shot....cause they are short and dont feed thru a magazine worth a damm....Im told.

If the 22-250 satisfied your needs in varmint hunting etc...go for it again.

The 6 BR is so stupid fun to shoot and superbly accurate, it's a great little round. The 6.5x47 Lapua would be another top contender if you want more snort.

I appreciate the feedback. The two suggestions that have sparked my interest are the 6BR and 6.5x47. I have multiple 6mm's (243 win, 243 AI, 243 wssm) but only one 6.5 (260 rem). i like the 6mm and have had alot of luck with this caliber however the 260 is still being built by GA Precisionout of KC so my 6.5mm experience is only with a 6.5x284 my dad used for competition a few years ago.

Between the two, 6BR and 6.5x47, in your opinion what are the advatages to one over the other?

I chambered a heavy barreled Rem 700 and did the 6x47 Lapua it turned out really accurate and is a pleasure to shoot 105vld Bergers 39.?? grains of H4350 deadly even to 1000yds

Steve

Attachments

• both.jpg
    both.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 44
Gentlemen, I appreciate the feedback and after doing some additional research have decided to go with the 6.5x47 Lapua. Thank you again.

Don't overlook the 6mm creedmoor or the 6.5 creedmoor. They are both stupidly accurate and easy to shoot.
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

I chambered a heavy barreled Rem 700 and did the 6x47 Lapua it turned out really accurate and is a pleasure to shoot 105vld Bergers 39.?? grains of H4350 deadly even to 1000yds

Steve

Steve, I recognize those stocks! I have one on my STW, and am thinking of adding one to my 308. Very stabile in the front rest, and an awesome fit to the action. I'm talking Bobby Hart, right?
Beautiful rifles there dude! Nice scenery too!

7 STW
Thanks, I built 2 of them the same just different stock colors just wanted to see what I could get out of the little 47 lapua case and its been a good rifle.
The stocks blanks are from Joe Russo, I blue printed the remington actions and added
#7 Bartlien Barrels with a no turn neck reamer from Dave Kiff.

I looked at those two Russo stocked rifles several times and couldn't decide which they were. I have a Russo and a Bobby Hart.

If you were nuts you could make a 30" fast twist 6mm-284, barrel life be damned....on a Bobby Hart stock:

3pts2-16-2011with6mm-284020.jpg

I looked at those two Russo stocked rifles several times and couldn't decide which they were. I have a Russo and a Bobby Hart.

If you were nuts you could make a 30" fast twist 6mm-284, barrel life be damned....on a Bobby Hart stock:

3pts2-16-2011with6mm-284020.jpg

AZ, I have the sister to the stock in your pic, and that pic is what made me decide to get it, when I was considering it back in the spring. Mine is on a super accurate STW, and the color I went with was the Tawny Brown. Love it!!!! I honestly thought those two in the above pics were Bobby Harts as well. Those colors are awesome.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.