Adding new calibers to the gun safe

I have other so called barrel burners and have never had a problem with them so far. Now I don't take those guns to the range twice a week they are used primarily for hunting. If I can get 10 years out of a barrel and it's a gun I like in a caliber that performs well I will take that all day long

Yes I have a couple of 'over bore' rifles & they are not range rifles so I do expect at the rate I shoot that they will last 10+ years.
The thing is to do your LD & then stick to that load buying components in bulk.

On a rifle like a 6.5x284 Ive read where some people say your only going to get up to 2000 rounds out of a barrel(if that) so you don't want to be going to the range each weekend but it will be a flat shooter no doubt.

I have not read any of the previous comments. If it were me, based on what you listed, I would go with 300 wsm. It can shoot bigger, heavier bullets for those not so nice animals that you may run into.

I'm paring down to three actual used hunting rifles...

7mm-08 Steyr Scout for all purpose quick and nimble hunting. Love it but wife claimed it..

280 AI in the works. Carbon barrel on Steyr ProHunter action for mid range duties and a loaner rifle.

338 Lapua Christensen Arms ELR for fun, LR plinking and hunting the "Tougher" critters.

I feel that covers the gamut well.

I've changed my way of thought over the last few decades. I'd rather be great with a couple than good with a bunch....

In true Loony style, if I like a chambering, I will have 2 built but with different length barrels, different actions, and stock. One rig will alway be in the neighborhood of 7.5lbs with glass, while the other rifle can weigh as much as 10.5 all up.

Redundancy Rules..

2-6.5 CM
2-6.5 PRC
2-280AI
2-28 Nosler
4-223 Win
3-204 Rug
4-222 Rem
Had 2 300 RUM, sold one.
Had 2 300 ROY's sold one.
Rimfires it get even better..

I am working on my LH rifles, as a lefty I have had to always settle on using right handed rifles, but I am settled in on my three atm, and would like two more but if I have to settle on the three I have then I would be good.
Sako 25-06
Remington 270
Weatherby MV 300 weatherby

I think that would cover me!!
but as I said before going back to the OP, a 6.5 is would i would want next, because I have 7mm RM and a 7wsm, 257weatherby, 25-06(2nd), 30-30(x2), 22-250, 30-06(semi, dads first rifle)

the 6.5-284 is a nice round that i wouldnt mind looking at as a light weight sporter type rifle

The 6.5 284 is in a savage at a really nice price for the rifle. It is a Savage Long Range Hunter with accu trigger and accu stock with a muzzle brake right at $780

Hi I know I'm late to the game, but no nosler 28, 30 or 33.
My first rifle was a 280, I'm partial to the round.
Oh heck ,just keep buying guns until you get them all.
I'm jealous.

Recoil is not an issue for me at all I will be reloading for everything except for the 6.5 300 weatherby mag I have heard that it is very finicky. I am planning on a Montana DIY Elk hunt in the next few years and will be taking one of these rifles with me. They will all be used on whitetail out to 500 yards. I will also be using them on black bear out to 200 yards on bear weights between 200 and 450 pounds.
I bought a 6.5 x 300 Weatherby Mag at our local NRA dinner last summer. I sent it to Weatherby and had their Accubrake installed. I broke in the barrel with factory ammo loaded with Barnes. I must say, I really like shooting this gun. It's fast, flat, and accurate. Recoil is less than my 7 mag without a brake. Haven't began to reload yet because brass is impossible to find and I've heard the "finicky" stuff you mentioned. I've posted in several groups including this one but still haven't heard of anyone loading these.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.