New caliber for first build?

Good point.

However if your aim is on with an Allen mag vs on with a SAUM, and the wind is 15 mph at the shooter but your shooting over a valley,

at 800 yards you can easily miss that deer with the SAUM, and have a trophy of a lifetime with the Allen mag. All because you missed a wind shift up high in the vortex on the lee side of the hill your shooting too.

Horses for courses, but the extra 50c per round is worth it to me, if you'd rather **** in the wind, go for it, I have been doing it too long with a winmag.

Chris

I don't care if your shooting 180 bergers at 2900 or 3300 a sudden 15 mph gust is going to shift either one far enough to miss, I shoot 1k ibs and I know what 15mph gust do. I think everyone will agree that shooting and hunting at those distance isn't a matter of speed its knowing you rifle, your load, the exact range, and the current conditions between you and the target, if they drastcally change when you squeeze the trigger, try for a second or just at it as if it just wasn't meant to be.

How about a wildcat 30/375 Ruger

30_375_Ruger.jpg

.532" case head like the 7 mag, about 6 more grains than a 300 win mag, unbelted, should be able to build a gun that doesn't have to have a muzzle brake, lots of 30 caliber bullet choices, rentable reamers from 4D

works in a 3.4" action

I don't care if your shooting 180 bergers at 2900 or 3300 a sudden 15 mph gust is going to shift either one far enough to miss, I shoot 1k ibs and I know what 15mph gust do. I think everyone will agree that shooting and hunting at those distance isn't a matter of speed its knowing you rifle, your load, the exact range, and the current conditions between you and the target, if they drastcally change when you squeeze the trigger, try for a second or just at it as if it just wasn't meant to be.

+1

Speed plays a much bigger role in bullet drop then it does in wind drift. There is less then a inch difference in a 10 mph wind out to 800 yards comparing 3000 fps vs. 3200 fps and less then 4 inch's in a 25 mph wind. Bullet BC will play a much bigger role in wind drift then speed any day. Knowing your weapon and how it shoots is key. Either caliber will get the job done....the question is can you?

Jon

Thank you Jon, I guess your like me you shoot more than you talk! Oh woods your right I always thought the idea of the 30/375 ruger was a good one, but trying find brass is difficult and since hornady makes it, find good brass is impossible, it is a good design though about like necking the sin arms 338 down to 30 cal.

Well since it is difficult to find I just ordered another box

Hornady Rifle Brass - Sinclair Intl

Hornady brass is about like Remington brass, with some work it is always good enough. Thick enough in the neck to neck turn and never more than .002" variance. Not soft like Federal, not all dinged up and some pits and splits like WW, not as good as some Nosler lots but better than some other Nosler lots. Of course not as good as Norma or Lapua.

Not nearly as hard to find 375 Ruger as it is to find 338RUM

Fair enough.

By that logic is doesnt matter if you shot a 180 at 2500 from a 7-08?

An inch is an inch. An inch is the difference between heart and muscle, I know what i'd pick but horses for courses.

A 15mph gust would make you miss. At 1000 yards 1 mph is 4.4 inches with the 7 AM. My point would be if you couldn't see the wind half way over the valley (this is always my gremlin).

There is also the point that at 3300 the 180's would not be ideal for the close range shot too. That is why I'm considering the 300 SMK's at 3000fps, for a more reasonable speed, and heavier lead core if it fails.

Chris

Chris I'm not trying to bash you, but you don't need all that lead, on game I use a 208 amax at 3100 from a 300wby they are good for 50-1250yrds, I use bergers mostly for punching paper. I don't remember right off the top of my head, but I think the 139grn lapua scenars I use in my 6.5x284 have less than 4" of drift at 1k at 3020fps. If your that far away, don't shoot, wait for the change, chances are the target doesn't know you are there and you havve plenty of time.

I shoot 208 amax's from my winmag with a full case of powder, quite a bit of crunch, and only get 2690, 22 inch bbl, under half MOA.

I think you underestimate NZ conditions. You can only read the wind so well, it is usually over 20mph at the shooter, and you can double that 100m above you. Then you have the windward and lee vortex's, up and down drafts, and general turbulence.

Im not a man of compromises, I like to do things once and do them right. My current lightweight rig weighs 13lbs.

I just believe in using the right tool for the job I guess. I could certainly shoot wapiti with a .243 running amax's, but I could also do a headgasket with a 6 inch adjustable crescent. That doesn't mean is the best tool for the job at hand though?

Plus, I like power :)

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.