New Build Caliber Question

So I just picked a Rem 700 in 30-06 from a buddy of mine for super cheap so I decided to make a build out of it. I am looking for the most accurate long range hunting caliber i can put on this bolt face in this action. Also would like the rounds to be able to fit into a detachable magazine.

Some beginning caliber ideas (stolen form R Bros):

6.5-06 Ackley
6.5-284
7mm Remington Magnum (27" Barrel Recommended)
7mm Rogue (27"-28" Barrels)
7mm STW (28" Barrel)
.300 WM
.300 Remington Ultra Mag (28" Barrel)

So what calibers do you guys think I should go with? Thanks! :D

The 30-06 bolt face will need to be opened to fit anything bigger than the 30-06 family. In that case, I would keep the '06 or go to 280 Remington.

PTG will make a bolt to fit which ever caliber you decide. I would go with a 300 Win due to the balance between energy and barrel life. The 300 RUM is hard hitting but barrel life is limited. The 6.5-06 is real flat and bullet selection is awesome but again, your barrel will suffer. My last 300 Win barrel saw 1147 rounds before it had to be replaced. Some get more, others less but 1200-1700 is expected.

.280 AI or .300 Sherman would both be your best bet out of the '06 case family.

For .300 Sherman info contact Rich Sherman (elkaholic) here on the forum.

If you were to choose a magnum caliber, you can't go wrong with the 7mm RemMag or 7mm STW.

The 30-06 bolt face will need to be opened to fit anything bigger than the 30-06 family. In that case, I would keep the '06 or go to 280 Remington.

PTG will make a bolt to fit which ever caliber you decide. I would go with a 300 Win due to the balance between energy and barrel life. The 300 RUM is hard hitting but barrel life is limited. The 6.5-06 is real flat and bullet selection is awesome but again, your barrel will suffer. My last 300 Win barrel saw 1147 rounds before it had to be replaced. Some get more, others less but 1200-1700 is expected.

How much does PTG charge for a bolt?

.280 AI or .300 Sherman would both be your best bet out of the '06 case family.

For .300 Sherman info contact Rich Sherman (elkaholic) here on the forum.

If you were to choose a magnum caliber, you can't go wrong with the 7mm RemMag or 7mm STW.

what are the barrel lives on the 280 AI, 300 Sherman and the 7mm STW and what are the max effective ranges?

I would go .300 Winchester, but not knowing your experience, its not that simple. Success in LRH comes by putting "rounds down range". Barrel life is kind of the sell by date for rifles.

i've got a couple of magnums in the safe, but I'm supposed to pick up plain Jane .260
Remington tomorrow. I've signed up for one class, and hoping to add a couple more next year.

Depending on your location neither the Northwest Precision events, or Calebs Sportsman Challenge are terribly far. I plan on getting to as many of these as my schedule permits.

I would go .300 Winchester, but not knowing your experience, its not that simple. Success in LRH comes by putting "rounds down range". Barrel life is kind of the sell by date for rifles.

i've got a couple of magnums in the safe, but I'm supposed to pick up plain Jane .260
Remington tomorrow. I've signed up for one class, and hoping to add a couple more next year.

Depending on your location neither the Northwest Precision events, or Calebs Sportsman Challenge are terribly far. I plan on getting to as many of these as my schedule permits.

300 WM? and yes i plan to put a lot of rounds down range, its pointless to build a gun and not shot the barrel out of it :D I have access to a private range that goes out to 1330 yds. And yes I plan to go to Caleb's I know him and have shot at them before.

How much does PTG charge for a bolt?

what are the barrel lives on the 280 AI, 300 Sherman and the 7mm STW and what are the max effective ranges?

Can't help you on barrel life as I am still on my original factory 7mm STW barrel that I have been shooting for over 12 years, and it's still shooting 1 ragged hole groups with handloads.

Max effective range depends on what size game you plan on shooting. On deer-sized game, I'd say one could probably stretch it 1,500 yards or so...maybe more, maybe less, depending on your rifle's capabilities and your load and bullet selection.

At 1,500 yards my current STW load with Berger 180 Hybrids, holds 1,316 fps and 692 ft lbs of energy. Which I feel would be enough to drop a whitetail deer...But everyone has their own personal preferences on this, so the opinons you get will differ.

I still have more room to work up my load even hotter, so once I get it finalized, my charts will look different.

Can't help you on barrel life as I am still on my original factory 7mm STW barrel that I have been shooting for over 12 years, and it's still shooting 1 ragged hole groups with handloads.

Max effective range depends on what size game you plan on shooting. On deer-sized game, I'd say one could probably stretch it 1,500 yards or so...maybe more, maybe less, depending on your rifle's capabilities and your load and bullet selection.

At 1,500 yards my current STW load with Berger 180 Hybrids, holds 1,316 fps and 692 ft lbs of energy. Which I feel would be enough to drop a whitetail deer...But everyone has their own personal preferences on this, so the opinons you get will differ.

I still have more room to work up my load even hotter, so once I get it finalized, my charts will look different.

What is the COAL of your hand loads on the 7 STW? and are you able to use your magazine? Im very interested in this caliber.

Well, since you snagged the calibers from my page lol. Run a 6.5-06 ackley and have great performance and barrel life. The other option would be a new bolt and run a 7 rem mag. Both will work perfectly from the detachable mag setup. Most stw's run around 1200-1400 rounds of accurate life. There is always an exception, but it can also be as short as 800. I have worn out 13 stw barrels over my time using them.

So do you think that the Wyatt's CFE-9 box mag would work well with the PTG canoe style long action Oberndorf bottom metal? Also what are you running for your twist and barrel length?

I use regular factory Rem 700 BDL bottom metals on all mine.

You can buy the whole ADL to BDL conversion kit from Brownells. It's about $150. But if you plan on running the Wyatts extended box, all you need is the bottom metal trigger guard, which you can find on ebay for probably $50-60.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.