tell me about 30-338

G

what is the range of this cartrige? Who makes dies? Is an additional die needed to neck .338 brass to .30? thanks
wayne

Range is about a mile or so.

Redding makes dies, class C I beleive. Look in the Sinclair catalog.

No, you don't need another die. Any time you neck down 1 caliber, you can simply jam a case in the die and resize it.

.338 to .30 would be 2 calibers down? .323( 8mm) Maybe I'm wrong on that.On range, I was talking in yards. Ie 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000.
thanks
wayne

Use Imperial Wax, and be careful to straighten all the necks with a 338 expander ball first, and they should form just fine. My 308-264 needed 2 steps but just barely. I do 416's, 560 in the body down to 340 in 4 very easy steps.

There's about 1760 yards in a mile. If you build one that won't shoot that far, I'd throw it away and start over!

Seriously, if you do a 32 or 34" barrel it'll have no problem with that range. At least not as much problem as you're gonna have with the cost of practice to get good enough with it.

I use a heavy BR model for long range hoggin and 1000 yd IBS. My favorite load is a 175 Berger VLD with 72.5 of VV160. Gives me 3300 fps out of a 30 inch.

Don't go there all at one time.

I have the Redding Die set and load bullets by hand dies.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.