Ok, Humor me here.... 30-30 for a saddle gun

Love the 92's and 94's. But it's all about nostalgia. The hard part would be the missed shots! Opportunities to dump a wolf or coyote are not to be squandered!

Find a Savage 99 in 284 and you'd have a heck of a nice saddle rifle. I find myself taking my daughters Ruger compact in 243 a lot.

Just set you up a trim hunting rig. No need to go primitive to get comfortable on horse back.

Check out that winchester 94 in 375 win. that is in the classifieds. I would snatch that thing up myself but my dad has one ill inherit someday anyway. That thing packs a mean little punch out to a couple hundred yards. Would probably put some second thoughts into a grizz too, at least make him walk funny....

Well, this is bad.................. it was on my mind when I went to bed and I woke up with an idea. :rolleyes:

I am thinking of a short bareled (24") 7mm with 168 Bergers , no brake (to keep it short) composit stock, low profile scope like a small NXS like a 2.5~10x32 with a ballistic turret out to 700 yd. Mounted to a bedded steel rail with 3 rings. That will fit in a scabbard made for a scoped rifle.....

Big n Green are you in??? :D

Jeff

Sounds like a little Tikka is in order! or as much as I hate to say it a model 70 super shadow, they are rough but thay shoot good and you dont have to feel bad when you scuff them up.

my garand has a lot of nostalgia. and it has a krieger barrel . with the 36x on it i can do .3"s . with irons it would be a great one. quite bit of power. no kick.

Well, this is bad.................. it was on my mind when I went to bed and I woke up with an idea. :rolleyes:

I am thinking of a short bareled (24") 7mm with 168 Bergers , no brake (to keep it short) composit stock, low profile scope like a small NXS like a 2.5~10x32 with a ballistic turret out to 700 yd. Mounted to a bedded steel rail with 3 rings. That will fit in a scabbard made for a scoped rifle.....

Big n Green are you in??? :D

Jeff

I was kinda wondering how long it would take to turn into something with a little more range, I could see a guy going into convulsions when a pack of wolves sits down and thumbs there noses at you at 800 yards and all you have in your hands a 30-30, you know the SOB would do it to, I guess you could do a mounted charge!!!

That little Nightforce would rock that build, sounds like it would be very much along the lines of Carlocks Sheep hunter :cool: I'm game!!

Go smaller. I've been daydreaming about a 6.5 of some sort.

LOL, :D I been thinking about maybe a 300 win instead... The 6.5 is intriguing but unless BnG really does some talking to me about this 6.5 Sherman I keep hearing about, it will most likely be 7mm Rem or a 300 Win. I have dies for them already. I have never been know to hunt with a light caliber much. And if this rifle works out I could see it being used for an occational Elk or Bear.

Jeff

7-300wm loaded with 168's to fit in the mag and a 24" barrel. My original 7-300wm had a 24" barrel and it shot 150's 3325fps. So I would think 3100fps with 168's would be doable.

LOL, :D I been thinking about maybe a 300 win instead... The 6.5 is intriguing but unless BnG really does some talking to me about this 6.5 Sherman I keep hearing about, it will most likely be 7mm Rem or a 300 Win. I have dies for them already. I have never been know to hunt with a light caliber much. And if this rifle works out I could see it being used for an occational Elk or Bear.

Jeff
How 'bout a 7SAUM? You could go short action, 24" barrel. Run 160-180's. Keep it slick 'n handy, and have plenty of reach and horsepower.

I got a 444 for a saddle gun. 270 grain bullet at 2700 fps. Never kill anything but jackrabits with it. Makes me grin every time :D.

So much for breathing life into the ol cowboy gun, that this started started as.
Too good to be true I guess.:rolleyes: Too bad too. I was really looking forward to an epic thread, with a few success stories tacked on in the end with a nostalgic firearm.

Not to be "rude" but don't you already have a ton of rifles that fit the LR, & ExtremeLR bill? Why don't you just have a custom scabbard built & save a ton of $$$?

I'm in full agreement that one can never own too many kick *** firearms, but that's material for a whole different thread. This thread had some real potential for the first couple pages.

A 6.5 Sherman would be sweet but it would be adding a whole new set of components, I thought a 7SAUM would be trick too but your all tooled up for the 7mm Rem or 7mm-300 Win. I tore apart an pristine Rem 700 in 7mm Mag a few weeks ago :rolleyes: the parts are laying on my bench waiting for a Brux barrel that should be here this week.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.