Nosler long range accbond and my experience.

Montanarifleman,

Thanks for taking the time to write that up. It was great wealth of knowledge.

I would really like to see someone that has a hunting season available, to make a reduced load for their rifle in like a 7mm08 and shoot something say 200 yards. If the starting velocity was low, 2000 fps and could stretch it a little ways would be a great test. Of course would have to make sure the load is safe.

Apparently, the ABLR's seem to be expanding "too" quickly and leaving a small permanent wound channel. At least in this case. This probably is due to the combination of the tip and the thinly tapered nose jacket that allows for low velocity expansion.

So far, my view of the ABLR's is that they make a good bullet for extending the max effective ranges of lower velocity cartridges, like the 308 or 7-08 because of their low expansion velocity. Form what I have been reading, I don't think I would use them in higher velocity cartridges. That said, IMO, from what I have seen and read here, I think the 215 Hybrid Target would be the better choice in even the 308 with it's higher BC and probably higher MV. The 175 might be a good choice for the 7-08 hunter looking to extend his effective range because it has about the same BC as the Berger 180 with a lower expanding velocity.

My thoughts exactly. It seemed like when these were first announced many here couldn't understand why I was so excited about them. They forget I am primarily a 308 shooter. I believe the 190 ALR when it ever arrives will redefine the limits of the 308. The 190 is my favorite 308 bullet weight. Having it in a version similar to what a 190 Amax might be if it existed or even like a VLD that would expand at much lower velocities than we all know they do, is a dream come true for a LR 308 hunter like me. I figuratively prayed for a 190 Amax or knowing hornady, 188 with the form factor of the 208. Well hornady hasn't produced it but the 190 ALR is close enough. High BC for retained velocity, low velocity expansion = a near unbeatable combo for the 308 used as a LR hunting rifle. I've played with the 208 in 308s with some good results but I feel the 190 is a more user friendly 308 bullet than the 208-210s.

If the 190 ALR gives me the results in my 308 that the 210 ALR has given me in my 300WM, it'll be a great load. I'm only running my 210s at 2700ish but the accuracy/consistency is excellent. Maybe since its reduced, it will offer better results than what has been seen at higher velocities.

My thoughts exactly. It seemed like when these were first announced many here couldn't understand why I was so excited about them. They forget I am primarily a 308 shooter. I believe the 190 ALR when it ever arrives will redefine the limits of the 308. The 190 is my favorite 308 bullet weight. Having it in a version similar to what a 190 Amax might be if it existed or even like a VLD that would expand at much lower velocities than we all know they do, is a dream come true for a LR 308 hunter like me. I figuratively prayed for a 190 Amax or knowing hornady, 188 with the form factor of the 208. Well hornady hasn't produced it but the 190 ALR is close enough. High BC for retained velocity, low velocity expansion = a near unbeatable combo for the 308 used as a LR hunting rifle. I've played with the 208 in 308s with some good results but I feel the 190 is a more user friendly 308 bullet than the 208-210s.

If the 190 ALR gives me the results in my 308 that the 210 ALR has given me in my 300WM, it'll be a great load. I'm only running my 210s at 2700ish but the accuracy/consistency is excellent. Maybe since its reduced, it will offer better results than what has been seen at higher velocities.
Michael have you had any good solid "body shots" to evaluate? At what type of impact velocities and ranges?

So far I'm thinking of sticking with the tried and true Hornady Interlock and Interbond on the three big, big game hunts I have planned for 2014-2016 but with the better BC's of the ALR's I'm certainly hoping that becomes a viable option.

I'm also toying with sticking to the hornady offerings for the .264, 7mm STW's and going with the heavier LRA's in the 300's.

The only good thing about spending this season in a wheel chair instead of in the field is you guys get to do the work for me LOL.

I'm not a 308 shooter but I would guess the higher BC of the 210 would give it better performance than the 190. Also, my philosophy, especially when it comes to frangible bullets, is that Greater Mass + Lower Velocity = Better Terminal Performance.

After reading about you guys talking about using the LRAB at slower velocities, I wanted to take you back to my first post about the success I have had with the 210s. I guess I was fortunate that I could not get them to group at faster velocity and ended up settling for an average of 2758. Maybe the answer is to run them slower since they are still supposed to perform at 1300 fps. After reading some oftheposts, I wish I would had the chance to see how they perform on whitetails. I think I will stick with running them slower and after my experience this fall, I would not be afraid to shoot any elk with this round.

Michael.....I was glad to hear from someone else who does some shooting say that the vld's DO NOT expand at the velocities that they are supposed to. Have you tried my 190's on anything yet?.......Rich

These bullet threads are fantastic. All of the ancillary experiences, opinions, testing, etc from members is hugely beneficial to those of us who only get to shoot one or two big game animals a year - but still have to pick bullets for doing so.

I wish I had something of equal value to share on the topic, but I am just tagging along (and thanking everyone for sharing their experiences and opinions, even at the risk of stirring the pot).

These bullet threads are fantastic. All of the ancillary experiences, opinions, testing, etc from members is hugely beneficial to those of us who only get to shoot one or two big game animals a year - but still have to pick bullets for doing so.

I wish I had something of equal value to share on the topic, but I am just tagging along (and thanking everyone for sharing their experiences and opinions, even at the risk of stirring the pot).

Where are you in Mi. varmint? I grew up near the Soo.......Rich

After reading about you guys talking about using the LRAB at slower velocities, I wanted to take you back to my first post about the success I have had with the 210s. I guess I was fortunate that I could not get them to group at faster velocity and ended up settling for an average of 2758. Maybe the answer is to run them slower since they are still supposed to perform at 1300 fps. After reading some oftheposts, I wish I would had the chance to see how they perform on whitetails. I think I will stick with running them slower and after my experience this fall, I would not be afraid to shoot any elk with this round.
MV isn't the issue, impact velocity is the issue, hence the problem of using the same load at all ranges.

In the minimal testing that I did with the 270 150 gr, there was always a portion left, but it was pretty small compared to the original AB and I never fired them at mag velocity....Rich

Is anyone aware of game results with the 175 or 210 shot at RUM velocities at close range with shot placement centered on a broadside chest?

Is anyone aware of game results with the 175 or 210 shot at RUM velocities at close range with shot placement centered on a broadside chest?
I caught a recent episode of BOTW where they were using the LRA's and were very pleased with the results but I can't remember exactly what calibers they were using.

Of course they were using them as intended on long range critters. Punching ribs I expect you'd get a one holer with massive damage internally but from what I've gleaned in this and the other LRA thread up close on shoulder shots it was ugly.

I would not expect them to hold up to such hits at close range at STW or Rum velocities and I'd doubt they will at 300 Rum velocities either.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.