Nosler long range accbond and my experience.

So, all of your longer shots were high. Sounds to me like they go out a bit faster than the 180 or have a BC higher than .659. Perhaps a little of both. It would be nice to here what your velocity and BC test out at. I'll be trying these exact LRABs in my 7mm in a couple weeks. How did you end up seating them and did you increase your powder charge at all from your 180 load?

So, all of your longer shots were high. Sounds to me like they go out a bit faster than the 180 or have a BC higher than .659. Perhaps a little of both. It would be nice to here what your velocity and BC test out at. I'll be trying these exact LRABs in my 7mm in a couple weeks. How did you end up seating them and did you increase your powder charge at all from your 180 load?

No not all my shots were high. When I went out and shot before I went everything matched my 3020fps load with the 180 bergers .659b.c. I put the exact same powder charge, and used my dies setup for my bergers and loaded them. The drops worked to 1350 yards. So if the lrab have higher bc they would have had to been going slower. And if were going faster would have to have bc lower. All I know was the combination still worked. I am done shooting them for know. If something changes in the future I will use them, just not quite what I want or like.

All I have to say is that sucks, no hunter or animal should go thru that but you did your job and you stuck it out to the end that's what matters.

Thanks for the writeup! I am a little confused though. It looks like the bullet expanded well and penetrated well to, right? The only disappointment is that the deer didn't just flop over and die? Or am I missing something?

Have you had other experiences with another bullet that worked better or did something different? I am not at all trying to criticize, just trying to learn more about your experience. If it expanded correctly and penetrated well, you can't really ask for much more I would think...

By the pictures it looks like the bullet performed as one would expect. Not unlike many bullets and placement, sometimes animals take longer to expire than wanted or expected. Congratulations on your hunt and thanks for taking the time to post your results. Successful=dead deer recovered.
Ditto. The bullets he recovered appear to have performed exactly as designed.

Unfortunately there are no "magic bullets". Shot placement is key even when bullets do perform exactly as designed.

Unfortunately there are no "magic bullets". Shot placement is key even when bullets do perform exactly as designed.[/QUOTE]

So where are the animals supposed to be shot in theory with a bullet that has questionable performance sometimes? Is it said you put it between ribs in side 300 yards, can touch a rib if 300-700, and if you are running 1300 fps or less you can shoot them in the shoulders?

Unfortunately there are no "magic bullets". Shot placement is key even when bullets do perform exactly as designed.
So where are the animals supposed to be shot in theory with a bullet that has questionable performance sometimes? Is it said you put it between ribs in side 300 yards, can touch a rib if 300-700, and if you are running 1300 fps or less you can shoot them in the shoulders?
It's pretty simple. The only way you are guaranteed to put the animal down where it stands is to break both shoulders and/or directly interrupt the CNS with a brain/spine shot. If you are just punching the ribs you will not get instant death and they will more often than not run some distance before bleeding out and/or the heart stops pumping.

No matter what type of game animal I'm shooting my preference is a broadside shot punching both shoulders and bisecting the spine. My other two are a head or neck shot. Hit them anywhere else and the odds are pretty high you are going to have to do at least some tracking because they will not die in place.

I was reading similar reviews on another site. I had hoped for a bit more substantial bullet. It sounds like this bullet is a competitor for Berger, but doesn't perform as well. I have 3 boxes on back order but am going to cancel and continue to use the regular Accubonds. I'll use my Bergers for the really long shots.

Here is a short clip of some of the hits. I guess I don't have initial entrance. But was on the left side little high and went out right side. Entrance was about the size between a baseball and golf ball. Two in the chest, and then I did say in the video the entrance was on the right side in the video. That was not correct. I only ever shot at left side or chest on.

Trying to get the movie to upload. Maybe it is not right to upload, may have to put it on youtube to view it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.