Nosler long range accbond and my experience.

I am stating from personal experience that a mule deer is fairly easy to kill if hit good. I have seen more killed with 22-250's and 243's than magnums. I have seen 338 ultras beat and beat on elk and they stay up. Just how I seen this bullet hit hard and not carry anything after that. I would not want to shoot a elk with it. I am not speaking nobody should. Just I would not have wanted to do that. I have seen partitions used and would not associate a partition kill with this bullet killing.

So what have you killed with this bullet? And tell me in depth personal experiences so I can say that did or didn't happen.

Whoa whoa whoa, take it easy. I am not in any way trying to ridicule you at all, simply trying to learn more about this bullet. I have not shot anything with this bullet, hence why I am trying to learn. All we really have is a picture of a perfectly mushroomed bullet and the story of the deer not dying right away. I am simply asking what more you want from the bullet. It sounds like it penetrated well and expanded well, the deer simply didn't die. That can happen, even with a well placed shot. So, is there something performance-wise that it didn't do well? What bullets have you used previously with better results to compare this to? Just looking for more details is all, sorry to anger you...

Brentc,
You are saying that it has to be high b.c even though verified prior to hunting. And things didn't work? I cannot say why the shots were high, I can say the load was verified prior to hunting. I will get the video of my buddies buck when he shoots over. " here is how it goes. He say you ready I say yep, but take your "bang" time. Happened again the next time. I know he came off his gun both times. Of course this is not that case for shooting high. Things like this have no affect on shooting high only incorrect b.c. and a bad load.

Also I guess I am the only one that has ever experience a shot slightly off mark from point of am at 735 yards in hunting conditions, but were spot on the next three.

Without the back story, I drew conclusions that were probably not true. All I'm saying is that there are several details in your account, mainly centered around your load that are quite vague.

Took them out and shot them and seemed to match my drop in my g7 rangefinder for the 180 berger at .659 bc. I am not saying if the bc is the same for the lrab, because I did not chrony them.

When most guys come on here to tell their stories they are able to provide details of their load and rifle to exacting details. You couldn't even tell us your muzzle velocity. I'm sure you have a good idea of your MV after you tested the load, but going by what you stated up front in your story the details aren't there which leads one (me) to be struck with curiosity when your stated shot placement wasn't just right at 735 yards.

I didn't read through all the posts, but got the jist of your experience. I did some minimal testing on the 150 LRAB (270) this summer and found them to expand extremely quickly and lose a lot of weight. I was pretty skeptical that they would work close range on elk, but thought they would likely be a good deer bullet. They expand at low velocities as well as anything I've seen. I'm guessing that your entry holes were quite damaging? They appeared to be a bullet that would work well at EXTREME ranges......Rich

Yes this is what happened. I am right on track with you with my VERY LIMITED data everyone. That these would be a tremendous antelope, coyote, whitetail and maybe even a black bear load. That is what I personally would have a good gut feeling about them to be used on.

It sounds to me you got one that just didn't want to die. I had a similar experience with an large aoudad first round dropped him and he stayed down for 10minute or so then stood back up and took 2 more shoots from my 7mm mag and a finishing shot from a pistol. when we skinned him out there was a soft ball size hole of totally destroyed tissue going from one side to the other me and my pop were just baffled by the amount of damage he took.

I am just glad through this to help someone make a decision to use them or to stick with their load. I hate the comments about you break the spinal column, or both front legs. That is great but we never have perfect condition's all the time to guarantee a perfect hit where the crossairs lay, with a good trigger brake to boot. So with me having something to cover your butt when stuff is not the best is worth a lot. I have stated repeatedly that this bullet needs tested further to prove it. I am not talking coyotes and little whitetails. I am talking moose, caribou, and elk size animals. I would have never wanted to shot a bull elk with this bullet if it preformed like this that day. I have confidence that the recovery may not have happened, or if there was thick cover. I showed all and the proof is there, may just have been the one in a million that had the desire to live.
The bullet that makes up for poor shot placement has not and most likely will not ever be invented and be legal for hunting.

Again there are no magic bullets you must hit the vitals or interrupt the CNS or they simply don't die quickly. Don't break the shoulders and they are going to run absent the above.

Anyone who's shot much game has had the same results and it's always frustrating and it's just human nature to try and blame anything but ourselves. It's not your fault, it's not the bullet's fault, it's just bad luck because like you said, we rarely have perfect conditions when hunting.

Brentc,
You are saying that it has to be high b.c even though verified prior to hunting. And things didn't work? I cannot say why the shots were high, I can say the load was verified prior to hunting. I will get the video of my buddies buck when he shoots over. " here is how it goes. He say you ready I say yep, but take your "bang" time. Happened again the next time. I know he came off his gun both times. Of course this is not that case for shooting high. Things like this have no affect on shooting high only incorrect b.c. and a bad load.

Also I guess I am the only one that has ever experience a shot slightly off mark from point of am at 735 yards in hunting conditions, but were spot on the next three.
No if your velocity is slightly higher than you are using for your calculations your shots will also be high. If the velocity is off then your BC will not work right in the calculation either.

This is why to really be precise you need to chrony the load and verify the drops at at least three distances.

Yes this is what happened. I am right on track with you with my VERY LIMITED data everyone. That these would be a tremendous antelope, coyote, whitetail and maybe even a black bear load. That is what I personally would have a good gut feeling about them to be used on.
No HTD, you are just frustrated and making assumptions because you have very limited data to work with.

No one is picking on you here, we are actually trying to help.

I have been following this discussion and feel obligated to share my experience with the LRABs. First off, I am shooting the 210 LRAB which is supposed to have a BC of .730 out of a 300 Win Mag. When I did the load development for this round, I had a lot of trouble getting the velocity I wanted and ended up settling for avg. of 2758. I would have liked to push them faster but had a hard time getting good groups. I did test it out to 1500yds and found that the BC that Nosler is advertising is correct. Unfortunately, I did not have much time to try very many different load configurations due to the fact that I finished building my rifle two weeks before the season started. The load I finished with is 70.3 grains of 4831sc loaded to 3.600OAL. I think the rifle will shoot better but with this load it is right at 1/2MOA.
We ended up killing 4 elk with this configuration this year and my experience has been flawless.
The first was a bull at 280yards. The elk was perfectly broadside and he hit him low behind the shoulder. The elk went down like a ton of bricks and never moved. I was a little bit concerned as there was no exit but it did the job.
The second was a bull at 560. The elk was quartering towards us and he hit him just in front of the right shoulder and broke the offside shoulder. The elk took two jumps and faceplanted. Again, there was no exit.
The third was a cow at 308yds. The elk was broadside and my wife double lunged her. She went down in her tracks and again there was no exit.
The last one was a cow that I shot at 403yds. She was broadside and I hit her behind the shoulder and she spun a circle and went down. Again, no exit.
My conclusion is that the round does a great job of releasing all of its energy apon impact but I am a little concerned about what would happen if an animal was hit in the shoulder. I am hoping to get a chance to see how they perform at some distance after they loose some energy.

No if your velocity is slightly higher than you are using for your calculations your shots will also be high. If the velocity is off then your BC will not work right in the calculation either.

This is why to really be precise you need to chrony the load and verify the drops at at least three distances.
The chrony did not take place but the load was verified at 300-650-900-1180-1320-1398. Were all the places that were shot. I guess what is missed I am not talking anything about the correct b.c. A shot is high once so cannot be human error, has to be bc. You did not say the only way for the the bc to work if it is higher is both bc and velocity are off. Never stated that was correct. Just stated that it worked for how things are setup. I truly can see why broz left when he did. You can just put your experience up and state what happened and your opinion and still get ran through the ringer on what we did wrong for pulling the trigger.

If this bullets works for someone and this thread helps out great. I hoped it did. I am no longer taking place in the b.s of information I experience to be twisted into whatever someone believes.

The chrony did not take place but the load was verified at 300-650-900-1180-1320-1398. Were all the places that were shot. I guess what is missed I am not talking anything about the correct b.c. A shot is high once so cannot be human error, has to be bc. You did not say the only way for the the bc to work if it is higher is both bc and velocity are off. Never stated that was correct. Just stated that it worked for how things are setup. I truly can see why broz left when he did. You can just put your experience up and state what happened and your opinion and still get ran through the ringer on what we did wrong for pulling the trigger.
Man you need to relax. No one is running you through the ringer and no one has in any way even intimated you were wrong for pulling the trigger.

Your shots failed to hit any of the essential anatomical parts required to bring the animal down stone dead where he stood. That's not a bullet failure, it's not necessarily even human error, it's just a matter of being a few inches off of making that "perfect shot" and there's an enormous number of variables that affect POI and we've been trying to work through them with you.

Since you did not chrony your loads you are missing one essential element in the equation. A difference of 50-75fps between your actual velocity and what you entered into your calculator can change that POI. So can a slight twitch, a slight miscalculation in range or any number of other variables that come into play.

It's frustrating, we know that because we've all been there but don't get angry at those of us trying to help you work through it.

HTD, you have contributed a lot of useful, first hand observation. Don't get your feathers ruffled by the other points. I don't think anyone is trying to bust your balls. Just questions about pertinent details that appeared to be missing. For practical application, the fact that your ballistic solutions were accurate at the numerous ranges that you tested them at would tell me all I needed to know to fell confident to go out and shoot.
Oddly enough, I have two different rifles in two different calibers shooting different weight and BC bullets. With all the differences, the ballistic solutions for both of them are precise for drop out to 1400 yards, and windage is almost exact too. I found out by mistakenly using the wrong data and discovered it only after a day of successful shooting out to said 1400 yards.

HTD, you have contributed a lot of useful, first hand observation. Don't get your feathers ruffled by the other points. I don't think anyone is trying to bust your balls. Just questions about pertinent details that appeared to be missing.

Exactly, we are all just looking for more information is all. You have experience with a bullet that a lot of people are interested in. But the information is not that helpful if we don't get more details. Hence the questions...

On a side note, BROZ left for being ridiculed for questioning people's 'bullet failure' reports, just like some of us are doing now. All we are looking for is more information, simple as that. Not questioning you or your results, just want more information on your results to help us determine if it is a good bullet for us or not.

I have been following this discussion and feel obligated to share my experience with the LRABs. First off, I am shooting the 210 LRAB which is supposed to have a BC of .730 out of a 300 Win Mag. When I did the load development for this round, I had a lot of trouble getting the velocity I wanted and ended up settling for avg. of 2758. I would have liked to push them faster but had a hard time getting good groups. I did test it out to 1500yds and found that the BC that Nosler is advertising is correct. Unfortunately, I did not have much time to try very many different load configurations due to the fact that I finished building my rifle two weeks before the season started. The load I finished with is 70.3 grains of 4831sc loaded to 3.600OAL. I think the rifle will shoot better but with this load it is right at 1/2MOA.
We ended up killing 4 elk with this configuration this year and my experience has been flawless.
The first was a bull at 280yards. The elk was perfectly broadside and he hit him low behind the shoulder. The elk went down like a ton of bricks and never moved. I was a little bit concerned as there was no exit but it did the job.
The second was a bull at 560. The elk was quartering towards us and he hit him just in front of the right shoulder and broke the offside shoulder. The elk took two jumps and faceplanted. Again, there was no exit.
The third was a cow at 308yds. The elk was broadside and my wife double lunged her. She went down in her tracks and again there was no exit.
The last one was a cow that I shot at 403yds. She was broadside and I hit her behind the shoulder and she spun a circle and went down. Again, no exit.
My conclusion is that the round does a great job of releasing all of its energy apon impact but I am a little concerned about what would happen if an animal was hit in the shoulder. I am hoping to get a chance to see how they perform at some distance after they loose some energy.

Thanks for sharing the info! Any details as far as what the bullet did when it didn't exit? Did you find any pieces of the bullet? If so, did it fragment or just mushroom and not exit?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts