Nosler 270Win Vs Norma 280Rem Brass

The shorter length is not due to the case maker or brand. When you form into an improved version of a cartridge, the extra brass that flows to the shoulder area and case walls has to come from somewhere, and it takes the path of least resistance, therefore it will always scavenge brass from the neck, leaving the neck slightly short. .015" is not an issue, and will happen with ANY wildcat. When forming for wildcats, you always have to take into consideration that extra .015" to .020" shortening in neck length. Some wildcats that use full-length SAAMI cartridges, this will happen every time, provide the brass was cut and trimmed to SAAMI spec parent cartridge lengths to begin with, and there's nothing we can do about it. It's very common knowledge amongst wildcatters. That .015" should not cause an issue, and you will get the same issue regardless of brand of brass.
Yes I understand this completely. I believe trimming to minimum length is one of the steps they do with their prep so forming it into an improved case makes it even shorter. A non issue for folks shooting standard cases. The lot I have is really soft though. Hopefully for others it's not the norm. A friend of mine shoots a 300 win with half nosler and half Norma cases interchangeable. They weigh within 2 grains across the board and we can't tell the difference. It shoots a ragged hole at 100. I do believe Norma makes their brass for that particular chambering but I can't say for the others.

I wonder if the nosler is shorter to start. Was it A.I.?
No just regular 270 win. I'm sure I checked the case length before forming them but I honestly don't remember. I was pretty excited to get to shooting it so I did barrel break in and ran through the full 100 cases fairly quick (over a number of days) just to get that step out of the way before moving on to full load development so I didn't catch it till they were all shot up and formed. Just did visual inspections and that was it. Never any measurements. Maybe phorwath could compare the lengths on his if still virgin brass?

The headstamp font on my cases is not the same. Norma is larger than Nosler. Different also. So that basis no longer exists.
Just checked them again. Completely different fonts. Not even close.

I've never really bought the norma mfg. Because the quality is not the same. I tried some 280 A.I. nosler once to form 300 Sherman and was not impressed!

The headstamp font on my cases is not the same. Norma is larger than Nosler. Different also. So that basis no longer exists.
Just checked them again. Completely different fonts. Not even close.
Certain letters are the same...Not necessarily in size, but font shape and characteristics...

Norma uses lowercase, nosler uses upper case letters.

The "O" is identical. The "W" and "m" are also nearly identical other than size. The chamfer on the primer pocket is also nearly identical, and the flash holes are almost identical in size. Even the external chamfer on the case rim are nearly identical.

Once again, not saying I'm correct, just saying they look more alike than any other case heads and fonts.

Here's one of my Norma .300WM brass, next to one of my Nosler 7mm STW cases...
fullsizeoutput_f4c.jpeg

I've suspected that in quite a few standard cases, Nosler is just sorted Winchester brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.