would you rather 280rem,270win,30-06spring

Re22 is also an excellent choice in .06 with 180s. I have seen many .06 shine with re19 and 22. I have loads with both

I have a 270 win and am very happy with it and ammo is reasonably priced compared to many setups. That being said, now that CA is requiring lead free bullets, this changes the whole bullet mass / length / twist equation some. It makes the standard 270 sort of a 100 grain or less setup, and the -06 only a little better, so not different enough for me to think about an -06

I'm not sure I understand your 100 grain comment. The 270 Win with a Barnes 130 TTSX is an exceptional load.

I'm not sure I understand your 100 grain comment. The 270 Win with a Barnes 130 TTSX is an exceptional load.

Thank you for pointing this out. I was under the impression that a bullet with a 1.32 length could not load from a standard rem 700 ADL magazine and strongly stabilize with a 1:10 twist.

Cutting edge makes an MTH 130 grain at 1.26 and I thought this was already at the edge of twist stability and magazine fit, but I see that they tell you to just keep seating it deeper until it fits, so I guess the even longer barnes is the same story. ( I click on their products, and it always goes to some error code page)

Either way, the switch to lead free still truncates the upper end of every caliber's max bullet mass range, so moving up to a larger caliber might still be worth considering, depending on how often you buy rifles. For me, that is an occasional event, unfortunately.

On the -06 case, there is no question IMO - the .300 Sherman is the baddest thing you can put in a .473 long action AFAIK(somewhere around 72-74gr H2O). FWIW, Mr Sherman(aka "elkaholic") himself said the .300 Sherman is capable of 3100 fps with his 190gr SXR bullets. Im not sure of bearing surface length on those, but Id say its safe to assume that cartridge will do 3050-3100 fps with Berger 185 VLDs with, say, a 26in barrel. Id guess probably 2850+ fps with Berger 215gr Hybrids. Possibly even 2900fps with a 28" barrel, thats a serious load right there.

I like the 270 and the 30-06 but the 280 dose stand out as much as the others. lets say you see a very very large buck at 500 yards and you have a choice out of these 3 witch one would you choose.gun)
With the addition of 300winmag, 7mm remmag, 8mm remmag, and 338 the choices are better. With winchester BC, 300wm and 280rem seemed good but it may not be the best.gun)

With the addition of 300winmag, 7mm remmag, 8mm remmag, and 338 the choices are better. With winchester BC, 300wm and 280rem seemed good but it may not be the best.gun)
As long as they were both dialed-in, I would feel just as comfortable shooting that big buck at 500, as if I were at 100, with whatever rifle I was most comfortable with. Even a .308 Win, because I know how dialed-in and accurate my .308 is.

The .280 AI and .30-06 AI should both have more than enough to knock him down at that distance.

But if you feel more comfortable with a 7mm RemMag, or .300 WinMag, go with that.

the one that is a sako; or the one with a krieger barrel. the gun is more important than the caliber.

They are called the "three sisters"!!!!:). '06 is the oldest, 270 the middle one and the 280 the youngest.......take your pick!!!!:D

All 3 guns will do the job without any issues. With the 280 I suspect the down range ballistics/energy is probably the best with something in the 162 to 168 grn bullets (bergers, nosler). On the other hand (now I might get some grief from this but) the 3006 can do a lot more with the availability of loads than either the 280 or the 270. You can get over the counter 220 grain moose/beer killers and in the past 50 grain accelerators bullets. So the 3006 has had a wide range of loaded bullets that you can buy and hunts lots of different game. Anything from blowing up ground hogs to hunting Kodiak bears. And if you hand load you can probably stuff a 230 or 240 grain bullet from berger or serria in there but it would probably not be worth it. I would say the 220 round nose is about big as you want to go for up close and personal like 100 to 150 yrds. But shooting at the 500yrd buck the 280, 3006, and then 270 would get my volt.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.