NORMA 338 Lapua brass VS Lapua ! Hmmmm?

300WSMMAD

Ive been having problems with the Barnard, sticky bolt up and down sometimes dam near immpossible to open.
NO signs of over loading just plain hard to open after firing, checked and re checked everything, full lengthed sized all the brass,bumped the shoulders back, correct case length OAL etc too,
lubed the lugs you name it I did it to take every concievable possible problem out of the equation.
Loaded some rounds last nite,bolt closed and opened like a dream without firing, Yaye! Fixed it!:rolleyes:

At the range today BOOOM!!! Arrr Sticky bolt WTH!

Fortunally last week my long awaited order of Lapua Brass turned up so last nite I loaded 5 of them too, EXACTLY the same as the Norma brass load.
Just for giggles I chambered one and Squeeeezed! The velocity jumped up 90 fps but wait... I opened the bolt with my little finger,just how it should!
I got the fired Norma case put it in the action bolt wouldnt even close! did the same with Lapua brass, bolt closed..... perfectly.

Now I dunno but is that normal for Norma brass?

BTW I got some CHEAP NORMA 338 Lapua brass for sale:D

Regards 300WSMMAD

Norma brass is very consistant and great for accuracy but its very soft , that probably what the problem is , your brass isin't springing back to is shape after firing.

Lapua is the best brass I've ever found for both consistancy and strength

Ive been having problems with the Barnard, sticky bolt up and down sometimes dam near immpossible to open.
NO signs of over loading just plain hard to open after firing, checked and re checked everything, full lengthed sized all the brass,bumped the shoulders back, correct case length OAL etc too,
lubed the lugs you name it I did it to take every concievable possible problem out of the equation.
Loaded some rounds last nite,bolt closed and opened like a dream without firing, Yaye! Fixed it!:rolleyes:

At the range today BOOOM!!! Arrr Sticky bolt WTH!

Fortunally last week my long awaited order of Lapua Brass turned up so last nite I loaded 5 of them too, EXACTLY the same as the Norma brass load.
Just for giggles I chambered one and Squeeeezed! The velocity jumped up 90 fps but wait... I opened the bolt with my little finger,just how it should!
I got the fired Norma case put it in the action bolt wouldnt even close! did the same with Lapua brass, bolt closed..... perfectly.

Now I dunno but is that normal for Norma brass?

BTW I got some CHEAP NORMA 338 Lapua brass for sale:D

Regards 300WSMMAD

I can tell you exactly what the problem is because I had the same thing happen with my 338Lapua Mag Imp.
Your sizing die is not sizing the web area of your cases enough, the only reason it is happening on your Norma cases first is because they are softer than the Lapua cases but sooner or later it will happen to the Lapua cases too.
The solution to this problem that I found was to have a custom reamer made and have my barrel cut off and re-chambered, if you dont want to go this extreme try a different sizing die that may size down the web area a bit more.
UB

Yup, what they said. I got 16 firings on my Lapua brass before the bolt lift got fairly stiff, at which time I pitched the brass. I think I got my money's worth.

Festus

The Lapua brass in thicker(or so Ive read) in the web area and a bit up the case, so that might be a reason that your velocity went up....anyway its made just for the pressure of the 338 Lapua ..good stuff for sure.

Before you spend alot of money, the first step is to polish your chamber. I have a Tubb T2K and shoot 6xc at XTC and Long range Highpower competitions. I had some issues with the Norma brass and sticky bolt lift in 6xc with the same powder charge that everone else was using(a time proven charge weight primer and bullet combo....so David Tubb told me to send him the barrel and he polished the chamber up and that was it, quick fix and really my first step if Im having issues with known good charge weights and standard reloading . any rough reamer marks(even though you may not feel or see them) in the chamber can cause this. Try that first and see if it helps.

Small base dies need to be used with caution as they really work the brass and are designed primarily for semi autos for proper feeding . You really need to take measurments and know exactly what your web expansion is before and after shooting and see if your working the brass too much.

Good luck

Patrick

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.