would you rather 280rem,270win,30-06spring

bukhunters

I like the 270 and the 30-06 but the 280 dose stand out as much as the others. lets say you see a very very large buck at 500 yards and you have a choice out of these 3 witch one would you choose.gun)

I like the 270 and the 30-06 but the 280 dose stand out as much as the others. lets say you see a very very large buck at 500 yards and you have a choice out of these 3 witch one would you choose.gun)
if I had a very large buck at 500 it would be my 3006 just cause I love my 06 second would be the 280 but it would be 200gr. Sierra gamekings at about 2650fps it would bust the crap out it

I have three 270s, two 30.06s, and one 280. I would use whichever one I had with me on that hunt. They will all do the identical job once the bullet hits the vitals.

If you really want me to throw in my order of preference, keep this in mind, it has nothing to do with the caliber or my particular non-factory rifles, but the loads I have that are most accurate in these rifles and which shoots the best.

1. my latest 270 with 150 Berger VLD, H4831SC, 210M primer, WW brass, 3050fps
2. 280 150 NBT, 2750fps, Norma brass, 210M primer, VV powder can't remember which right now
3 30.06 with 180 NAB.

I chose them in that order because the 270 shoots the 150 VLD at < 1/2 MOA and this is the best load in that rifle and the best of those 3 listed.

280 without a doubt. Used mine for 4 years now. killed bull elk and muleys. All three are great calibers.

.280 AI with Berger 168 VLD's and a vitals shot would be devastating.

I also have a .30-06 AI shooting Berger 185 VLD's and it it should be a sub-1K monster pushing hot loads with 7828 SSC and a Federal 210M primers.

Or a 25/06, 8mm/06 or a 338/06.Anything based on the 30/06 case is reliable and practical.The way I was taught...don't shoot until you can put the barrel down its throat.Always get a little closer.Sorry , but I am an older guy.

.270. ALWAYS .270 in MY house! :)

Except now that I've started this journey with a 7mm STW -- of course both my dad's .270 -- mine since 1983 :-( -- and the 7mm STW are Winchester Model 70's.

I have a 270 win and am very happy with it and ammo is reasonably priced compared to many setups. That being said, now that CA is requiring lead free bullets, this changes the whole bullet mass / length / twist equation some. It makes the standard 270 sort of a 100 grain or less setup, and the -06 only a little better, so not different enough for me to think about an -06.

Mostly driven by this reason (and general curiosity) , I have actually looked at 338-06 and 35 whelen setups to bring the bullet mass back up. These are less remembered setups than -06 and 270, but I have to either on-line order or reload anyway since everything locally stays pretty much sold out.

338 has better bullet selection compared to 35 whelen, but occasionally, I actually do find 35 whelen ammo in a store. (I guess few users)

At the risk of sounding really strange, I am instead thinking about moving toward 375 H&H (or 375 weatherby) for ammo price, availability, bullet selection (about 200 - 300 grains), and the ability to buy ammo in a variety of power levels which can range down into 30-06 type performance up to a bit more. It is really amazing how much competition there is in the 375 H&H ammo market, so the prices are pretty reasonable for that much power.

Isn't it interesting that I was perfectly happy with my 270, and am now thinking of a medium bore due to a silly law.

This is a pretty hard choice haha. When loaded right, they'll all drop him in his tracks. I haven't had any personal experience with a .280 but I know its ballistics and capabilities are excellent! The .30-06 is an awesome cartridge as well. My Dad and Uncle have always preferred the old '06 and there's a reason why, just an all around great shell. My personal deer rifle that I prefer is my Remington 700 .270 Winchester that shoots 1/2 MOA groups out to 700yds with its favorite load pushing a 140gr SST around 3000fps. It does a number on whitetails and it is just a solid rifle that I'm really confident with. Would choose the .270 for this just because my experience with it, but if I had the same level experience with an equally capable '06 or .280 then it would definitely be whichever one I took out that day haha.

Your question is very specific, and my answer is I don't see a superior choice.

Given more general parameters, I haven't regretted my choice to make 30-06 my standard general use caliber.

500 yards is where I start considering a more specialized rifle/cartridge combination. A bit heavier rifle, more optic, and if I go to that trouble probably more cartridge. That doesn't mean there is any thing wrong with the three listed just my preference.

No doubt, I would use the 30/06, 180gr. Sierra B.T. or one of the finer long range bullets such as the 190 gr. VLD Berger bullet and some IMR or Hodgdon 4350 or 4831 powder also check Alliant Reloder 19 powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.