Nosler 270Win Vs Norma 280Rem Brass

Pdvdh

Purchased 40 Norma 280 Rem cases and 50 Nosler 270 Win cases for purposes of fireforming them into 280RCBS Improved cases.

I was hoping the Nosler cases would weigh similar to the Norma, since so many proclaim Nosler brass is made by Norma.

Average weight of Nosler case = 178.3 grains.
Average weight of Norma case = 192.9 grains.

My hopes were dashed. :confused: So much for Norma making the Nosler 270 Win brass. Could be - but I don't believe so.

Will use the Nosler cases for long range loads and the Norma cases for bear/camp defense loads.

That doesn't disprove that Norma makes them... That just means they could be from different lots, and also Nosler might spec-out their cases differently than what Norma does for their brand of brass.

Nosler brass has also been fully deburred and chamfered, polished after annealing, and weight-sorted. Something I have noticed that my Norma brass was not done to as exacting of standards as the Nosler brand cases. The Norma cases were annealed, but the other things were not done. For the little bit extra money, I'll buy the Nosler. They have been VERY consistent in weight, performance, and quality for me.

Last edited:
Nothing is certain in life, except death. But I doubt Nosler would pay Norma to create the new tooling to make the lighter cases.

I've read Nosler is making moves to manufacture their brass in-house. But didn't hear they've produced their own yet.

Time will tell which of the two has the tougher case heads...

Nothing is certain in life, except death. But I doubt Nosler would pay Norma to create the new tooling to make the lighter cases.

I've read Nosler is making moves to manufacture their brass in-house. But didn't hear they've produced their own yet.

Time will tell which of the two has the tougher case heads...
You are right, nothing is certain but death and taxes. I believe it was old Ben Franklin that said that.

That would be cool if Nosler produced their own, but I bet you that we can expect a raise in price to pay for all the overhead and equipment...

I bought 100 nosler 270 cases and formed them into 270 Sherman, similar to ackley with a bit more capacity. Rich and everyone have spoken very highly of the Norma stuff and I figured what the heck, everyone says that's who makes the nosler brass... this may be the case but the necks came out .015" shorter than minimum and I'm losing primer pockets on the third firing. First of which were mild fire forming loads. Full loads aren't that hot either. So far I'm not impressed and will be looking elsewhere for brass soon. Not knocking all nosler since I've had decent luck with 300 rum and 300 win but the lot I got of 270 is short and soft.

And compared to Norma?
You didn't say if you'd had a direct comparison in your personal use forming and using Norma cases...
Thanks for the info

And compared to Norma?
You didn't say if you'd had a direct comparison in your personal use forming and using Norma cases...
Thanks for the info

Hi Paul.....Wish I had known you were looking. I use a lot of Norma and it is pretty good, but more recently, I have discovered that 270 RWS CANNOT be beat for 270/280 brass. It will outlast even Norma by 2 or 3 times! Not firings but TIMES (X)! You can get it from Huntington die. I costs a little more than Norma but well worth it.........Rich

And compared to Norma?
Thanks for the info
I personally have only tested a couple cases that I got from rich before doing the build. They are the correct length after forming. Fired a couple times and pockets are still nice and tight. Didn't run them out till they went so I can't say for sure how much longer they'd last personally.

Darn... Maybe I'll order some up - RWS.

It's always been top notch for me in 404 Jeffery and 7mm RM.

I recall your Post about this now. At least the Nosler I bought was 30% reduced, at Sportsman's Warehouse.

Live & remember. Remembering helps!!! :)

Thanks couesaddict! Your experience is firming up the notion that nobody that posts on the Forums knows who makes Nosler 270 Win brass.

I bought 100 nosler 270 cases and formed them into 270 Sherman, similar to ackley with a bit more capacity. Rich and everyone have spoken very highly of the Norma stuff and I figured what the heck, everyone says that's who makes the nosler brass... this may be the case but the necks came out .015" shorter than minimum and I'm losing primer pockets on the third firing. First of which were mild fire forming loads. Full loads aren't that hot either. So far I'm not impressed and will be looking elsewhere for brass soon. Not knocking all nosler since I've had decent luck with 300 rum and 300 win but the lot I got of 270 is short and soft.
The shorter length is not due to the case maker or brand. When you form into an improved version of a cartridge, the extra brass that flows to the shoulder area and case walls has to come from somewhere, and it takes the path of least resistance, therefore it will always scavenge brass from the neck, leaving the neck slightly short. .015" is not an issue, and will happen with ANY wildcat. When forming for wildcats, you always have to take into consideration that extra .015" to .020" shortening in neck length. Some wildcats that use full-length SAAMI cartridges, this will happen every time, provide the brass was cut and trimmed to SAAMI spec parent cartridge lengths to begin with, and there's nothing we can do about it. It's very common knowledge amongst wildcatters. That .015" should not cause an issue, and you will get the same issue regardless of brand of brass.

Thanks couesaddict! Your experience is firming up the notion that nobody that posts on the Forums knows who makes Nosler 270 Win brass.
Nosler has never revealed their source publicly. It's all speculation, but based on the fact that Nosler and Norma brass both use the same font in their head-stamping, it's the closest guess we can figure.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.