Nightforce Customer Service

I take total responsibility for protecting my personal property. I don't worry about a house fire or theft. I have a very specific insurance policy to cover replacement of all my firearms and related equipment. I also keep the list of contents up to date.

I have 6 Nightforce NX8 and 1 NXS that were on rifles inside gun safes in a total loss house fire. I asked if there was anything they could do to restore or refurb them. This is the reply I got. Not sure how I feel about it.

Hello Ryan,
Thank you for contacting Nightforce Optics Customer Service.
I am very sorry to hear of this tragedy, I hope everyone involved is ok. Unfortunately heat like that usually destroys the internals of the optics and there is typically no repair for these scopes. Our warranty does not cover damage like this, so sadly there is little we can do to restore your optics.

Please feel free to contact us with any further questions or concerns.

Respectfully

Technical Support, Customer Service #6
Nightforce Optics
336 Hazen Lane, Orofino, Idaho 83544
(208) 476-9814 EXT. 3
(208) 476-9817

Vortex responded with this….

Hello Mr. Wilson,
Send all optics you have that are damaged to us. Compile a list (for correct weights) and we will send you a prepaid shipping label. Repair, replacement and upgrades if needed are on us. We are very sorry to hear about your fire. Please send us the sizes of your family and we will ship out some shirts for you. Let us know…thanks.
Sorry about your stuff, prayers for you and your people. This thread got so far off the rails with indemnity experts I had to stop reading...but about the gun safes, might you have a claim or actionable issue with the manufacturer?

Not sure which insurance company you are looking at - but I am submitting a quote for specifically firearms insurance, ammo, reloading supplies, etc and it is $.35 per $100 of coverage. So, in your example, $100k of coverage would be $350. If you are adding riders to your homeowners policy, that's when it can get expensive.
Is that "All-Risk" or coverage only afforded if lost on dwellling premises to a named peril?

nathan

I take total responsibility for protecting my personal property. I don't worry about a house fire or theft. I have a very specific insurance policy to cover replacement of all my firearms and related equipment. I also keep the list of contents up to date.
And this is most likely what the OP wanted to get out of posting this. Be aware of what you got and make sure you will be covered incase...

@Trappernewt hey bud. I've got a nice brand new scope for you. Japanese made and will get you back on track to rebuilding your collection. My family's way of lending a little support to a brother in need. PM me your info and I'll get it shipped out today or tomorrow for you. One day at a time my friend and one foot in front of the other.

Best, Joe

Sorry to the OP. I couldn't imagine a loss like that.

This should be an eye opener to some and helps get me motivated to finish up my insurance policy I've been working on for my guns etc.

NF customer service is ****. I've dealt with things personally that really turned me off of them. Sure, there products are good but that shouldn't be the end. Why not be the whole package? Personally I want to support people who want to "support" me.

Vortex in the other hand did it right. And I don't feel all their products are bad. Also, they aren't the only optics company out there with a warranty like that. I know maven has a pretty similar warranty. If this had been a maven VS NF post I don't think the bashing and praising would have been the same from some posting here….

In the end, NF could have done much much better. They are a good sized company making good $. Do right by the people who help you get there. My guess if you would step your game up in that area you will be doing even better.

The biggest lesson for us all is get your ducks in a row when it comes to insurance policy's. I know it would take me a along time to replace all my custom rifles and optics. Probably never could at this point.

Best of luck OP

You know the difference in responses isn't really about quality, or ability to repair a scope that has been in a fire.

It's that Vortex went out of their way to be kind, send a few shirts to someone who had lost everything.

A little kindness in tough times goes a long way.

Don't know if you shoot ARs, but I have a brand new Leupold AR scope (1-5 I think), mounted but never shot much (maybe 50 rounds) that I just replaced with an Aimpoint Pro. If that will help you out, I'll send it to you.

For the seven hundredth time…..I did not ask them to do anything for free. I didn't ask them for free scopes. I didn't ask them for anything other than if they could repair/refurb them. For god sake read the thread.
I lost a crap load. Close to $100k in pistols and rifles/scopes alone. I didn't reach out to Lane Precision, Snowy Mountain, Blue Mountain, Elk Meadow or and other rifle builder and ask them to do anything for the guns. I didn't ask Liberty for new safes.
I asked 2 companies the same question and posted the replies. Do I wish nightforce would have replied differently? Absolutely. Am I mad at them and throwing a fit over it? Nope.
I posted here for folks to make their own decision and remind people what's at stake if you don't have proper insurance. I wasn't bashing or complaining. I really wish people would read the thread instead of jumping to conclusions.
Don't break your neck trying to get through to the non-readers. We can easily identify those who have read and do comprehend what you wrote. The rest are skimmers picking out a word or a thought to trigger on. Happens with each thred that is more than 4 posts long.
Be well, concentrate on recovery. Any one of us could be in a similar boat.
Thank you for reminding us that insurance is not a "do once and forget" kind of thing.

It all depends how hot it gets in the safe. When we anneal brass it comes more pliable, which isn't true with most other metals, aluminum when heated to a higher temp doesn't flex it will snap (brittle)
That is something I did not know. I guess different aluminum alloys become brittle once they reach a certain temperature. I will leave it at that since we do not know any more than original post.

Depending on where your safes are at. You can add fire protection to them or build around them with add fire protection. 5/8X dry wall adds 1hr for protection. to some of the areas. I have quite figure out how to protect the door fronts yet. I do get all my gun safes rated fire protection, but that only goes so far.
I feel for the people and there home fire. Sorry for the lost.

Recent Posts