Nightforce Customer Service

Trappernewt

I have 6 Nightforce NX8 and 1 NXS that were on rifles inside gun safes in a total loss house fire. I asked if there was anything they could do to restore or refurb them. This is the reply I got. Not sure how I feel about it.

Hello Ryan,
Thank you for contacting Nightforce Optics Customer Service.
I am very sorry to hear of this tragedy, I hope everyone involved is ok. Unfortunately heat like that usually destroys the internals of the optics and there is typically no repair for these scopes. Our warranty does not cover damage like this, so sadly there is little we can do to restore your optics.

Please feel free to contact us with any further questions or concerns.

Respectfully

Technical Support, Customer Service #6
Nightforce Optics
336 Hazen Lane, Orofino, Idaho 83544
(208) 476-9814 EXT. 3
(208) 476-9817

Vortex responded with this….

Hello Mr. Wilson,
Send all optics you have that are damaged to us. Compile a list (for correct weights) and we will send you a prepaid shipping label. Repair, replacement and upgrades if needed are on us. We are very sorry to hear about your fire. Please send us the sizes of your family and we will ship out some shirts for you. Let us know…thanks.

I own a retail store and deal with issues every day. Although there is nothing NF did wrong, I feel the Vortex response will be more profitable in the long run!

I hope your family is ok. Dealing with a house fire is a really tough ordeal! Will insurance be covering any of your firearms and optics loss? Maybe the rest of us can learn from your situation about he we order our policies? Again sorry for your loss
James

Sorry about your loss. I know how I feel about the differing responses. I just think of Tommy boy. It won't change my mind. I would rather have zero warranty and never need one than to have the best and need it all the time.
I do not expect Nightforce to warranty the scopes for free and send me brand new ones. I asked if they could restore them refurb them. I would have been happier with them saying something like "Box them up and send them in. We will se if we can do anything. If they are repairable they aren't covered under warranty."
I have $14k in NF scopes with NF rings. So I may not be a big customer but I am/was a big supporter.

I own a retail store and deal with issues every day. Although there is nothing NF did wrong, I feel the Vortex response will be more profitable in the long run!

I hope your family is ok. Dealing with a house fire is a really tough ordeal! Will insurance be covering any of your firearms and optics loss? Maybe the rest of us can learn from your situation about he we order our policies? Again sorry for your loss
James
Yes sir my family is ok but we lost everything but what we were wearing. Had several high end safes that didn't do to well at preserving the contents. I had a firearms Rider on the policy that increased it to $10k but I lost that in just NF plus some. I should've updated my policy years ago when I could start affording more/nicer rifles. I lost $35k in custom rifles alone.
I would say get all the insurance to cover yourself and keep it up to date with what you actually own. There are also supplemental policies available to cover firearms and even your taxidermy.

It looks like he could use a warranty now.
Best of luck to Trappernewt and his Family in the recovery of this disaster. Joefrazell, I don't think a warranty covers loss in a house fire. Any more than his car warranty would cover his new car if his house burned down and his vehicle was destroyed in the garage. Do you feel the rifle makers should also warranty the loss of the 35k in rifle loss? Warranty usually covers items breaking in normal use, and becoming unusable. Maybe at least, NF could have had him send the scopes in, then offer him a healthy discount on new replacement items. Insurance is probably the best recovery in a situation like this, and it's important to upgrade the policy to reflect current value of all of our toys. Admittedly, I have never upgraded mine, and it is obvious I should do it sooner than later. Insurance companies will also have some steep deductible too, but in case of a total loss (like my house in Katrina), it made replacement easier.

edited to add: I was typing my longwinded response while adam32+P was typing about a vehicle loss in the fire (No plagiarism intended on my part).

Last edited:
If you had a Ford Super Duty in the garage would you expect Ford cover the replacement under warranty?

NF's reply is as expected. Vortex's reply is way above and beyond and quite surprising.
Did you not read where I said I didn't expect replacement? I asked if there was anything they could do. Didn't stomp my feet and throw a fit. I posted here as a reminder of where members may stand if you were in my situation. And the difference in responses from two manufacturers

Very sorry to hear of your loss and happy your family is all safe!

I think most are familiar with Vortex warranty and I expected nothing less from them. Though I am not big on Vortex glass, from personal experience and stories like this, their warranty and service/customer support are unparalleled.
I was not expecting NF to offer the same service, but I was expecting them them to at the very least to have him send them in and take a look at them before saying, sorry, nothing we can do.

Last edited:
Best of luck to Trappernewt and his Family in the recovery of this disaster. Joe, I don't think a warranty covers loss in a house fire. Any more than his car warranty would cover his new car if his house burned down and his vehicle was destroyed in the garage. Do you feel the rifle makers should also warranty the loss of the 35k in rifle loss? Warranty usually covers items breaking in normal use, and becoming unusable. Maybe at least, NF could have had him send the scopes in, then offer him a healthy discount on new replacement items. Insurance is probably the best recovery in a situation like this, and it's important to upgrade the policy to reflect current value of all of our toys. Admittedly, I have never upgraded mine, and it is obvious I should do it sooner than later. Insurance companies will also have some steep deductible too, but in case of a total loss (like my house in Katrina), it made replacement easier.

edited to add: I was typing my longwinded response while adam32+P was typing about a vehicle loss in the fire (No plagiarism intended on my part).
A company with good customer service wouldn't blow him off in an email. Period. They don't necessarily need to replace them for free but they should work with him (op) as he stated.

A no fault warranty such as vortex makes it hard to buy a scope with a warranty such as nightforce. Especially when they have just as good of options such as the gen 3 razor.

I know of no custom rifle manufacturers that will warranty a rifle in a house fire. If there was that may sway my decision. Fortunately there are companies that will warranty out optics in a fire. Unfortunately for the op that's not nightforce. At least he will get his vortex stuff replaced.

to the op. Im very sorry to hear about your family's losses and hope and pray for you guys through this tough time. I pray the insurance check comes swiftly and is plentiful!!