New to the 338 edge family, with lots of ???

Your being sarcastic…right?
Absolutely 100% pure sarcasm!!! I have quite a few guns that according to the internet have been shot out for decades because of round count. I just cant figure out why they continue to shoot. Oh almost forgot, I have just as many that shoot bullet weights that they are not supposed to shoot because I have the wrong twist rate according to the internet. Maybe because I use powder the internet says is not temp stable is why I get the results I get, sheez I know what they say on the internet. It's all in good humor and the best humor has recognizable truth to make people laugh.

Please excuse me for all my BS ...I'm on the third day of no Power at the house, the little generator and a small electric heater is just keeping things above 50 in the House . No water , no stove no anything ...I almost feel a bit Amish !! 😎😎

Rum Man

1704976895894.png

The plus side, it will help get your legs strong for next season't elk hunt :p

Just started the same journey myself, with a twist. Mine is completely unjustifiable, just wanted to do it.

BAT Model M single feed (right bolt, left port)
Accuracy Solutions F.A.S.T. chassis
Valdada Anvil Bipod
Haven't decided on a trigger yet
Barrel will be a 36" 1.25 straight taper (Kreiger) chambered (+P throated for 300gr Berger) by Mr Carlock with his slab brake
Valdada RAM 200 Rocker adjustable base topped with my 5x25 ATACR

Idea is for it to come in around 25-30#s. I want it to shoot like my 260😎. Will get lots of use from all my family, so wanted it to be fun to shoot, not punishing. We've already accomplished 1 mile with 6.5x280AI and a 223AI, so I think we can tackle 2 miles with this setup?

Just waiting on the barrel to come in, but that's another 6 or 7 months away. I'll share what I get, but doubt it will help you much?🤣

H1000 is the intended powder, with the hopes of 3050-3100fps without leaning on it? Have US869, N570, RL-33 if I want to push it, but don't really want too.
Used the same BAT Model M on 338 Allen Xpress build, you'll love it.

My buddy & I are running a 30" bartlien, 300 berger OTM N570 @ 3070fps. Great shooting load. hoping to get it passed 1K this summer.

Shawn should have load data to get you started. 88-93 gr H1000 cci 250 300 gr Berger or SMK for Lapua and edge should be close.

I just joined the fray also. I have a fair bit of experience with hunting loads for the 338 RUM, so kind of started off their with the edge. Its a customers rifle. 30" barrel in a chasis. I've only ladder tested looking for velocity range. I started with h1000 and retumbo under 300 berger hybrid target. Retumbo looked better initially. Last session I ran up to 97 grains and had 2970fps. Seating out to 3.940 which is .025 off the lands. Next session will shoot for groups and ES. Encouraging enough, in the last ladder, the final 4 shots had 1 grain differences each, and formed one ragged hole.
I'll report back as I go.

Last edited:
My experience with my 338 Edge is similar to what I'm reading here. I went with a 1-9 twist 29" Hart tapered barrel. Why 29"?…because the 30" with the muzzle brake won't fit in my ATV rifle scabbard. 88.5 gr of H1000 under a 300 gr Berger gives 2,835 fps with single digit SD. Accuracy is amazing. Shooting small moss spots on rocks at 1100 yards is almost boring. Its a great chambering and delivers all the power and range that I will ever need. Don't intend to change a thing.

Well I kicked it around long enough and I'm finally having a std. 338 edge built. Just curious on reloading insight from experienced edge guys out there. Here are the list of details going into the build.
Trued Rem 700 action
28" proof 1:9.4
Terminator T3 brake
Std. Rem sendero stock… (Bell and Carlson I believe)
Trigger tech trigger
4" Wyatt's
ADG Brass
I'm looking at shooting Hornady 285 eldm or the 300's from Berger or Sierra.
Just interested in what you guys are shooting, how you got to that point and what I should expect to see out of my combo. Also any recommendations on reloading dies. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Way back when I asked for suggestions on a re-barrel, one of the recommendations was a 338 edge. I went with a 338 win mag ease of getting ammo, and brass. After my bit of disappointment with the win mag performance it is not really a Long range shooter even stretched out. It will do fine for hunting 500 yards on in, but will follow this thread with interest, as when my win mag is shot out, will look at the Edge the next go round. Has anyone tried the 265 grn long range accubond in the edge?

My edge should be done this month..running a 28in barrel suppressed and it will be like an howitzer sitting at the range lol.. im planning on running a 280grn weight class bullet but id love to try some of those accubonds but they seem to be made of unobtainium

Well I kicked it around long enough and I'm finally having a std. 338 edge built. Just curious on reloading insight from experienced edge guys out there. Here are the list of details going into the build.
Trued Rem 700 action
28" proof 1:9.4
Terminator T3 brake
Std. Rem sendero stock… (Bell and Carlson I believe)
Trigger tech trigger
4" Wyatt's
ADG Brass
I'm looking at shooting Hornady 285 eldm or the 300's from Berger or Sierra.
Just interested in what you guys are shooting, how you got to that point and what I should expect to see out of my combo. Also any recommendations on reloading dies. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
I have been reloading for a 338 edge for several years. Use 90 gr H1000, 300 gr Sierra MK. I get single digit SD on chronograph. Hard to beat that. I want to try the Retumbo and some Berger bullets but haven't had the chance.