What is the point of the 338 edge

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Southernfryedyankee, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Southernfryedyankee

Southernfryedyankee Well-Known Member

when you can just have a 338 RUM? The 338 edge is just a 300 RUM necked up right. So whats the point? I am wanting to build a custom and the 338 edge is in the lineup of possibilties but is it worth the effort especially if I start reloading?

2. winmagman

winmagman Well-Known Member

I believe the 300 RUM case is longer than the 338 RUM so you get a little more powder in the edge. Don't remember exactly how much, but there are several guys here that shoot them and I'm sure they'll chime in.

Chris

3. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

SIR TO KILL SIR

Theres what wingman said and then theres the CHICKS DIG IT FACTOR. Its kind of like another exclusive club that Im not in!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  4. AJ Peacock

AJ Peacock Well-Known Member

WinMagMan is correct, the 338RUM is the shorty of the RUM's.

I ran the 300SMK out of 2 different Edge's this weekend at nearly 2800fps with NO sign's of pressure. Ran the 250gr GameKing at nearly 3100fps before I got a somewhat flattened primer! (CED Mellenium II chrony) No extraction problems on any of the loads.

That's why I shoot it.

AJ

5. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

:D you and me both ... someday, perhaps when some kind of stimulus package comes my way.

6. cabelas90

cabelas90 Well-Known Member

Have you watched the vids on shawns sight holy crap who wouldn't want one:D i mean if you can see it you can ost likly kill it one shot drt! if i only had the money:D:D

7. Southernfryedyankee

The only way I could really do a 338 edge if I was a reloader right? What is the process of necking a case up?

8. AJ Peacock

I use a mandrel in a Sinclair Neck die and expand the neck before I run my 300RUM brass through an Edge die. But I know of those that simply run 300RUM brass into a 338 Edge die and load it.

Yes, you would need to reload (or have a friend that reloads!) to shoot the Edge.

I see you have a Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag, is it a large shank? If so, an Edge would be very easy to build on that rifle!

AJ

9. Southernfryedyankee

I actually have 2 7mags 1 will stay a 7mag as my primary hunting rifle the other will be converted. It is a standard shank but has a magnum boltface.

10. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

The difference is 4 to7 grains of powder capacity.

Necking up is not a problem but you will get a little neck thining.

If it were me I would use the 375 RUM brass necked down and turned true.

I chose the 338 RUM because it is the ballistic equal in a Mark 5 action because
    the bullets can be seated .100 thousandth longer allowing loads to be equal.

Mine will deliver over 1500 ft/lbs @ 1200 yrds and thats enough for me and I can
    buy ammo if I get off somewhere without my reloads.

The only way to realy better the RUM is to go with a case that has a capacity of
    120+ grains of powder.

Just my opinion
    J E CUSTOM

11. Southpaw

Southpaw Well-Known Member

12. 260shooter

260shooter Well-Known Member

The 338 EDGE competes head to head with the 338 Lapua Mag. Brass for the EDGE is 1/3 the price of the Lapua brass. That is why the EDGE is on my build list.

13. jwp475

jwp475 Well-Known Member

And the Lapua brass will last about 3 times longer IMHO. The Lapua brass is excellent and very strong and that is why I went with the 338 Lapua. The build is certainly less expensive in the 338 Edge.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  14. AJ Peacock

The Lapua Brass is definitely great. But I recently shot the same piece of Rem Brass in my Edge 12 times without any splitting etc. The primer was still tight, I could have continued, but decided I'd learned all I needed to know about how long the brass would last. I'll probably throw my first 100 brass out when I re-barrel.

AJ