What is the point of the 338 edge

I ONLY GET 4 TO 5 LOADS OUT OF MY 300 RUM 30CAL. THE DARN NECKS SPLIT . MAYBE I'M DOING SOMETHING WRONG. IF ANYONE HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE FEEL FREE TO LET ME KNOW HOW YOU FIXED IT. I WILL REBARREL TO A 338 NEXT TIME...gun)

AJ

12x for EDGE brass sounds great, as I have 500 set back for my build. Any ideas about barrel life?

I wont Actually reload 12 times for each brass (it's just not right!). I'll probably toss them after 8 loads or so. I am very careful about not overworking my brass, I neck size only when possible, then push the shoulder back a couple thousandths when required.

I expect 1200+ round barrel life, but it's just a guess, as I am pretty careful with my barrel's.

AJ

The Lapua Brass is definitely great. But I recently shot the same piece of Rem Brass in my Edge 12 times without any splitting etc. The primer was still tight, I could have continued, but decided I'd learned all I needed to know about how long the brass would last. I'll probably throw my first 100 brass out when I re-barrel.

AJ

I've never gotten any where close to that many reloads on a case in my 300 Rums. I,ve never gott more than 3 to 4, it is usually the primer pockets have gotten loose. Amazing...

I've never gotten any where close to that many reloads on a case in my 300 Rums. I,ve never gott more than 3 to 4, it is usually the primer pockets have gotten loose. Amazing...

How loose? I don't want to mislead, the primers were not loose, but they were a bit easier to seat after a 2-3 firings. But didn't get worse for the remainder of the test. I certainly was NOT concerned about loosing a primer. My initial goal of the test was to see how much the case/neck would lengthen; it didn't 'grow' enough to worry about after the first couple firings.

AJ

As far as neck life, I would try to anneal your necks. This process is fairly easy and will extend your brass life. If your primer pockets are loosening then it sounds to me you are loading way over safe pressure limits.

I read an article about a guy shooting a 30-338 Lapua. He had annealed after every firing and to date as of that article, he had reloaded the same brass 59X's. He also set a new 1000yrd record with the same cartridge. Anyway, sounds to me like annealling is the way to go.

Just my .02

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.