338 rum vs 338 edge. What are the the differences ??

Down Under Hunter

Howdy all,

Just interested to know the fundamental differences between these two rounds. Will one out perform the other out of the same length barrel 30-32 " ?? Looking to shoot the 300 smk at 3000 fps. Interested in everyones thoughts. I have read alot on the edge but had a friend asked me to explain the difference, and I couldn't ??? What would the optimum barrel length be for accuracy and velocity ??

Thanks guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

the edge is a 300 rum necked up to 338. the 300 rum case is 1/10 inch longer than a 338 rum case so you get more case capacity = more velocitie. from what i've read on here a 30 inch barrel seems to be the ticket

Down under

Both the 338 rum & the 338 edge are very good performers
but if you are looking for 3000fps+ with a 300gr smk and
a 30"to34" barrel you might consider a 338/378.

With 8to10grs more capacity than the 300 RUM you can reach
your goal with out to much pressure.

But the big case requires a large bolt face 0.579 instead
of 0.534 (the standard magnum like the RUM).

If set up properly (.000 to .ooi head space) freebore is
not a problem . the best I have shot with the big weatherby
was a 5 shot ,093 @ 100rds off sand bags.

I like the RUM case but for all out velocity the 338/378
is hard to beat unless you go the wildcat route.

A 30" to 34" barrel is optimum according to the barrel
makers.so your on the wrigh track with barrel length.

Just a thought /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the info boys !How much more speed would a 30" barrelled 338-378 have on the edge with same length barrel? Would it push 300 smk at 3000 or better ? Has anyone out there got one of these ?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just getting a little confused here ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Do I understand that the 3000 fps with 300 smk from the edge is unachievable ? The rem 700 route- edge looks like the way to go, but I just would like to know within reason how fast it should be going. I know every gun is different, but I seem to get the impression that the speed is more like 2850 fps ?? I probably am prepared to go to 32 " on barrel?

Thanks again fellas ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2850 maybe 2900 if your lucky.......
icon_beer2.gif
What makes 3000 fps so magical and not 2900?
confused.gif

Glad you asked that question . I am weighing up extra costs with 2 rifles I am having quoted. One is 338 edge 30" lawton barrel and brake, 700 rem action, manners gat stock, ext mag and accurized vs 338 snipe tac 32 " laton barrel and brake, lawton 8000 action , manners tsc-1 stock 2 shot blind mag repeater. just comparing them pound for pound. Cost difference vs performance jump ?

Your thoughts ?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I went with the 338 Laupa,because of brass quality and strenght of the brass.. I may one day go to a bigger 338,but not for a first rifle and not for an only rifle as I see the bigger round as a much more specilised round.......

2850 to 2900 is what you will see in the Edge in a 30" barrel is you run them to top working loads. You will not get much more performance in this class of round going to a 32 or even 34" length barrel because the 338 bore is so efficent with this case capacity. YOu will be looking at less then 15 fps gain per inch past 30". Not worth the extra length.

If your looking for a high performance 338 magnum that is easy to load for and build, the Edge will get you what you want in that class of round.

It however is not a 3000 fps chambering with a 300 gr bullet but that is not a real downfall, you really do not need it anyway and if you do its best to jump up to the 408 based wildcats and there there without pushing smaller chamberings harder then they should be.

Kirby Allen(50)

I know of a few crediable people that have reported 3000 FPS with a 30" barrel.Since the 338 Laupa has slightly less case capacity than the 338 Edge the only way to get this type of velocity is by run higher than SAAMI rated pressure.I am not sure why people seem to think that 3000 fps is so important. at 1400 yards it hardly matters if you started at 3000fps or 2850fps. The king of long range at the moment is the 50 BMG with very high bc bullets at a muzzle velocity of about 2800 fps plus or minus a few fps depending on barrel lnght etc. Although I believe in the not to distance furture were are going to be close to 50 BNG long range perfomance (not terminal performance) with the 338 and 375 caliber rounds with a muzzle velocity of 2800 to 2900 fps.................As some super high bc bullets are about to be produced...............

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.