New To Forum - Need Long Range Rifle Advice

Both savage and remington chamber factory rifles in 338 lapua,the savage 110 ba and the remington MLR,i have owned the MLR and mine shot 250gr scenars under an inch @200m

I would say go with a 338 edge, you have the sub 30 cal covered well, and there is not that much of a gain to go 300wsm from what you already have. That said I have a 300wsm, a 300 win mag, 300rum and an edge AI. I couldn't decide either so I have been slowly trying them all. If you want accuracy and ease of wind reading at long range you need to push a bullet with a G1 BC in the mid 0.7 or higher. Reading the wind becomes very important and going to a higher BC makes things easier. The edge also seems to be very easy to load for. Redding dies are available from Sinclair's or Defensive edge.

If you want a single shot start with a used Savage LRPV, it has a decent stock to start with and the target accutrigger. The ejection port is large enough to eject a RUM casing. Switch the bolt heads ($60 from SSS), and try out a shilen or pac-nor pre-fit in 338 edge. If you can handle reloading you could likely switch the barrel yourself, or most smiths where I live would charge 50-60 bucks. All you need is a barrel nut wrench, go / no-go gauges and some patience. Of course you could do the same in a 300wsm, and push the 208gr amax.

The 300wsm is a fine choice, but the 338 class would be a noticeable step up from your current selection of calibers.

I would say go with a 338 edge, you have the sub 30 cal covered well, and there is not that much of a gain to go 300wsm from what you already have. That said I have a 300wsm, a 300 win mag, 300rum and an edge AI. I couldn't decide either so I have been slowly trying them all. If you want accuracy and ease of wind reading at long range you need to push a bullet with a G1 BC in the mid 0.7 or higher. Reading the wind becomes very important and going to a higher BC makes things easier. The edge also seems to be very easy to load for. Redding dies are available from Sinclair's or Defensive edge.

If you want a single shot start with a used Savage LRPV, it has a decent stock to start with and the target accutrigger. The ejection port is large enough to eject a RUM casing. Switch the bolt heads ($60 from SSS), and try out a shilen or pac-nor pre-fit in 338 edge. If you can handle reloading you could likely switch the barrel yourself, or most smiths where I live would charge 50-60 bucks. All you need is a barrel nut wrench, go / no-go gauges and some patience. Of course you could do the same in a 300wsm, and push the 208gr amax.

The 300wsm is a fine choice, but the 338 class would be a noticeable step up from your current selection of calibers.

I'm glad that your one of the few that gives accurate B/C's for the latest and greatest VLD's out there right now! Berger awhile back posted a B/C close to a .9, and it was bogus! Seem to be in the high sevens (which ain't bad!). One of the magazine guys tested the new Savage 110BAS in .338 Lapua, and flatly stated it was the most accurate snipers rifle out of the box sold anywhere. Now that's a very strong statement to make for sure considering the $2K price tag (verses $4K and up for the other guys). But only time will tell for sure. There are several military arms ordering them right now, so maybe there is something to this bold statement. Police departments are also buying them, but most are in .308 and .300 Win. (the police department is getting ready to order a dozen chambered in .300 and a couple in .338 Lapua where I live)
gary

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Longbomber, just last night I was comparing my .270 WSM ballistics with the .300 WSM and although there is a difference, it's probably not enough to get me overly excited.

The problem I have is that I have hundreds of premium .308 bullets left over from my .300 Weatherby days and a ton of once fired WW WSM brass a buddy gave me. I also have .300 WSM dies that I bought to reload some rounds for him. So eventuallt I will either need to start reloading the .300WSM or sell the components and dies.

Having said that, the .338 Edge is really intriguing. And it sounds like barrels/dies are not that difficult to get. It would be nice to have one really different caliber in the bunch. I bet none of my buddies shoot one. :D

Is there a good source of edge info on the internet? I am guessing there are tons here so I will look around.

Hmmmmmm decisions, decisions...:rolleyes:

Is there a good source of edge info on the internet? I am guessing there are tons here so I will look around.

Hmmmmmm decisions, decisions...:rolleyes:

This is the place for info on the 338Edge. If you do a search for it, you will come up with probably hundreds of threads. If you want to talk to the authority on the subject, PM Shawn Carlock (that's his screen name). He developed the round. His company is Defense Edge http://www.defensiveedge.net/

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.