Need Advice: New Long Range Muzzleloader

icon

I am fairly new to this site and have been hunting with a custom 7mm STW for a couple of years. The problem with long range hunting is that during the muzzleloading season, using production muzzleloaders is rather boring.

I have been looking around for an accurate long range muzzleloader and came across this site: www.badbullmuzzleloaders.com

Since I am a novice compared with most of you on this board, I thought you could tell me what you think of these guns. I have spoken with them on the phone and they are super nice and seem legit. I was hoping someone here might have some insight on these or similar muzzleloaders.

Thanks!
Shawn Murdock

I can understand your frustrations with a factory muzzleloader that is why in the last year I have dove off into the smokeless muzzleloader scene. I tried the custom black powder barrel on an encore with free-floated barrel with great results on the range. Although when it comes time to hunt, I hunt on a fouled barrel just like at the range. Well, in a day or so the barrel is rusted. Good luck trying to hit anything on a rusted barrel.

I have since then had a swing-lock muzzleloader built, although it is relatively expensive compared to a stock rifle, it is about half as much as a bad bull muzzleloader.

With the swing-lock I am getting 2800fps with a 250gr sst bullet. This has consistently grouped around 2 inches at 300 yards. When looking into the design of the rifle, it is well thought out. No ramrod affecting the harmonics which is conviently mounted through the stock. At any rate you need to check out their site, please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for the feedback. Where do I go to read about swing-locks? By the way, I'll be zipping through El Reno next week on the way to hunt birds in Cheyenne.

These so-called "muzzleloaders" don't tweak my interest at all; they're too much akin to MODERN RIFLES but then again...the folks making them ain't old enough to maybe know better as this is ALL that they've ever been exposed too or....THEY KNOW BETTER....but are just catering to the present generation as this is all THEY KNOW!

Now....if someone were making these http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/1860TargetRifle.asp my interest would be tweaked real quick because THIS is MY VERSION of a muzzle loader!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well these rifles just tweak the hell out of me! Do you think that Daniel Boone would have passed up a chance to shoot one of these? I have a 26 year old friend that is into the traditional scene, tell me age has anything to do with it. The interesting thing is when he is waiting to see if that deer at 300 yards is going to walk close enough to his position, I'm already trying to figure out how to get my truck down to load him up.

icon - You could go to www.swinglock.net Give Tom a call, he has been gunsmithing since the late 60's and is very intersting to talk to. What day do you think you'll be passing through?

Well...IMO...ya just may as well be hunting with a 300 Win Mag! And in the final analysis....the DNR don't give a "hoot 'n hell" about what ya hunt with as long as they can collect the dollars!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

BLACK POWDER SEASON???

WHAT A JOKE THAT IS!!

[ QUOTE ]
Well these rifles just tweak the hell out of me! Do you think that Daniel Boone would have passed up a chance to shoot one of these? I have a 26 year old friend that is into the traditional scene, tell me age has anything to do with it. The interesting thing is when he is waiting to see if that deer at 300 yards is going to walk close enough to his position, I'm already trying to figure out how to get my truck down to load him up.

icon - You could go to www.swinglock.net Give Tom a call, he has been gunsmithing since the late 60's and is very intersting to talk to. What day do you think you'll be passing through?

[/ QUOTE ]

Long range hunting is all about pushing the envelope -- and that's what these new muzzleloaders are doing. After all, the guys who are out there developing the latest wildcat rounds weren't satisfied with what they could buy at a Wal-Mart counter.

Foe, I've spent some time on the swinglock website and it certainly looks interesting. What type of bullet give you the best accuracy out to 300 yds? One of the things I like about Bad Bull is that they use a rifle bullet with no patch or sabot and large rifle primers rather than 209s. Seems like these things would help consistency?

I'll be through OKC on 12/26, stopping in Weatherford to visit an Aunt and then on the Cheyenne.

Thanks for the input!

[ QUOTE ]
Looks interesting but in Colorado smokeless powder muzzleloaders are ILLEGAL.. So I'm out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone know if a lot of states have made them illegal?

I can shoot consistant 2" groups at 200 yards with a T/C 50 cal Black Mountain Magnum, a reworked stock so I have a good roll-over cheek rest (needed for scope) a Mueller 3x 10 X 44 scope using 120 grains 777, and a powerbelt 245 grain bullet. It is possible to shoot VERY long ranges with the proper loads with either roundballs or modern sabots. It takes CONSTANT practice at all ranges and shots out to 200 yards can be done consistently with roundballs and 1 in 66" twist rifle with long barrels. A lot of states (Florida included) are looking at the "Modern smokeless" powders as being prohibited, also in-line ignition, or "non-exposed primers" and not allowing them in the muzzleloader season. I would recommend buying the best percussion rifle you can get and putting a Green Mountain fast twist barrel on it and learning to shoot it at the longer distances, this will amaze you as far as accuracy goes, just go to any rendy shoot and see how far some of these firearms can shoot with a really good shooter. By the way, I took a 6 X 6 Royal Bull Elk at a measured 200 yards with a .52 caliber Sante Fe Hawken, patched roundball and 120 grains of FFG and that bull never went 10 yards! I can take my T/C and hunt any state I want to and all I have to do is remove the scope if needed! AS in ALL long range shooting, it's mostly the shooter NOT the gun!!

[ QUOTE ]
I'll be through OKC on 12/26, stopping in Weatherford to visit an Aunt and then on the Cheyenne.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get off on exit 125 just west of OKC and drop by to see Lerch and I. We don't really have any cool custom guns but we've got a few rifles and every shotgun you can imagine!!

The Savage isn't bad either!

Some folks also have SMI or Pac Nor barrels put on different actions. Personally I have replaced my Savage barel with a Krieger 505 Gibbs. 1:20 twist for use with sabots. I also eliminated the barrel nut and went with a 1.250 barrel diameter. Fairly heavy but great for long range shooting.

edge.

PS for more Savage ML info:

http://dougva.proboards34.com/index.cgi?board=Savage

I'll agree with edge. Last week I killed 2 does at 285 and 410 yards using a savage shooting a hornady 250 gr. sst at 2475 f.p.s.. Using a target turret calibrated specifically for my gun I can range and shoot with a dead on hold out to 500 yards.I dont plan on shooting at a deer this far but it is fun to send one down range to the disbelief of onlookers. Thanks timbo

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.