New and need advice

Chief Osceola

Hi, I'm new to this forum and need some help picking a rifle out. I'm sure a lot of you here a good at that. gun)

The farthest I'd shoot it is around 600 yards. I need it to be accurate enough to hit coyotes far away and also be powerful enough to drop deer and black bear at long range.

I cant get a custom rifle right now, but I might get an aftermarket stock for the factory gun I end up getting. I'm not sure what caliber I should look at and I don't have my mind set on anything. Maybe a 300WSM?

Any feedback on the caliber, rifle and/or bullets would be great.

I don't know what your budget looks like, but if I were to start from scratch, I'd buy a Savage long action and go from there.

There is a fine article by Jerry Teo called I think: Long Range Rifles on a Budget. Just type in name or title into the search function and enjoy!

About caliber, there are many that will do what you are asking, provided you use superior ammo. Your caliber selection first depends on weather or not you reload, do a little research on this site and you will find one that should work for you.

In my humble opinion, more important than just the right equipment, is lot's of practice, I mean as much as time and money will allow.

Welcome, and I hope you get as much from this site as I have!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.