Need some advice on new barrel

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by MHO, May 25, 2011.

1. MHO

MHO Well-Known Member

I have a Sako 75 300 WSM that I have sent off to have a new barrel put on it. I have been shooting 180 gr NBT. I have very little knowledge on twist / length etc. What twist and manufacturer of barrel do you guys recommend and have experience with? Krieger, Douglas etc. Appreciate any feedback.

2. Nieko

Nieko Well-Known Member

10 twist is probably ideal (180's,190's,210's) lots of great barrels-Broughton, Brux, Chanlynn, Benchmark, Hart, Lilja, the ones you mentioned and many more. Ask your smith what he likes and stands behind.

3. MHO

MHO Well-Known Member

Nieko, Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.

4. Bart B

Bart B Well-Known Member

I think a 1:10 inch twist is way too fast for 180's out of a .300 WSM. Back when 30 caliber magnums were "the only way to go" for long range competition, 1:12 twist barrels were the best for 190 and 200 grain bullets. Spinning bullets too fast is one sure way to get fliers way out of your group when a bullet's unbalance is above average. 1:10 twists are for 220-gr. bullets from that cartridge.

I had a worn out Palma rifle barrel's back end cut off to make it 27 inches long then rechambered for .300 Win. Mag. It's 1:13 inch twist shot Sierra 180-gr. HPMK's into 2/3 MOA at 1000 yards with ease. Those bullets spun about 171,000 rpm leaving the barrel; just about perfect for that bullet.

If you'll only shoot 180's, a 1:13 (or maybe a 1:12, for milder loads) twist's hard to beat from a .300 WSM.

5. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

i have 5krieger , one hart

6. elkaholic

elkaholic Well-Known Member

Agree with Bart! A 10 twist is commonly used because it will cover the wide range of .308 bullets up to 240 grains but is far more than needed for a 180 grain. As he said, overtwisting can only hurt, not help........Rich

7. MHO

MHO Well-Known Member

Elkaholic, Bart B,
    Thank you guys. Like I said before, this is out of my league and I greatly appreciate your input.

8. elkaholic

elkaholic Well-Known Member

By the way, I have both Lilja and Bartlein barrels and would recommend either. There are plenty of other good manufacturers as well.......Rich

9. Long Time Long Ranger

Long Time Long Ranger Well-Known Member

Get the minimal twist rate for the bullet you intend to shoot. That will always be your best accuracy. With all the new vld bullet designs sometimes a guy gets just a touch over the edge but just enough to stabilize is key to perfect long range accuracy. A 1-12 will stabilize the 180 grain nosler BT if that is the bullet you want to use. I shot 190 grain bergers out of a 1-12 twist last week with excellent long range accuracy.

10. kc

kc Well-Known Member

I have friends who use Broghton and Bartlein and love them..Now the guys have gave you some top of the buisness names you need a gunsmith that is on top of the job. you need one of the best.

11. TOM H

TOM H Well-Known Member

You mention in an earlier post about sending the rifle out to Sulli is that Dave Sullivan? Reason I ask is that Dave uses Mark Channlyn barrels and I'm sure he uses others also.

For my last 300WSM gunsmith put on a Kreiger 5r 1/11.25 twist and the first one I had use a Broughton 5c 1/12 twist. I've had good luck with both barrels shooting 165gr and 180gr bullets both rifles used for deer/elk combination tag.

12. MHO

MHO Well-Known Member

Tom,
    Yes I sent it to Dave Sullivan. Thanks for your advice.