Need some advice...

Doublezranch

Everytime I need some advise, I find myself right back here ask'n the experts!!

I have a chance to add to my posse of ultra mags. I have a chance to buy a Savage 300 ultra cheap. I mean too good to be true cheap. There are only a few things holding be back so I thought I would come here for help. First, I already have one. (I know that isn't really a problem but my wife thinks it is) and second, I know nothing about Savage rifles other than they are affordable and the barrel is really accurate. All my ultra mags, 7mm, 300,338, 375 are all Remingtons.

So...all you Savage guys and gals out there, lets hear ya. Why should I buy this rifle??

Because its a Savage!:D What trigger is on it? If it has the accutrigger, your good to go. If it has the old trigger, you'll want to look into getting the Rifle Basix trigger installed. You can tweak the old factory triggers some, but not that much. Personally I like the Savage. Once you burn the old barrel out, buy the barrel nut wrench and the action wrench. Then order your new barrel and wait for delivery. Once it shows up at the door, screw your new barrel on. Doesn't take long and its easy. The other things, is if you want to use the action for a smaller caliber, repeat the same steps from above. The Savage offers the ability to be multiple calibers on one platform. You would have to get a different bolt face and adjust the firing pin, but its pretty easy once you learn how. You could always just purchase another bolt with a standard bolt face too. Anyways, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with what you end up with in the Savage.

Tank

I have three Savage rifles that are as accurate as my customs. The Accutrigger is excellent, the rifle is reliable, and it probably the best value out there. A couple of years ago Savage invited our club for a tour of their factory. They took us through the entire production process from start to finish. There is a lot of emphasis in the production process on accuracy. The workers really have a lot of pride in their work, excellent craftsmen, and are determined to make the best shooting rifle available. It's no wonder they have been taking major market share from the other makers.

With all those Remingtons you probably could use a change in scenery. Go for the Savage. I don't think you will be disappointed.

I also say go for the Savage. I have two (6.5-284 & .300WinMag) and both shoot well under MOA at every yardage I've shot them at. Mine have varmint profile barrels (BVSS) and the only mod was to install a Rifle Basix on the .300WM. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. JohnnyK.

I don't think you should buy it.....instead, tell me how much it is and I'll buy it. I don't have an ultra mag or a savage so it would be better for me if it's that good of a deal :D

You can never have too many guns! Shoot them both and whichever one is more accurate is your go-to gun and then you have an action (either the Remmy or the Savage) to build a custom off of!

You guys are the best. I knew I could get some support around this place!!

My 338 ultra is a custom and my fav. However my 7mm ultra sendero is a very, very close second. The 375 is a butt kicker but accurate and super fun to shoot. My 300 ultra is everything you could ever want. Its a ultra!!

The heck with it, its coming home with me. You guys convinced me. Maybe its time for my wife to upgrade!! Give the 270 wsm to the kids and start shooting a real heavy hitter. I will run it by her and see how it goes. I am sure it won't get very far.

Thanks again guys.

Well guys, the Savage didn't come home with me. I finally understand why it was so cheap. I had not been cleaned in over 10 years. Everything was pitted and beyond repair. It broke my heart to see a gun in that type of shape.

Thanks for all the Savage "shout outs".

That's too bad. Barrells are replaceable if the action is serviceable.....

I was willed my wife's uncle's 44 Smith Model 27 that he never cleaned either and it cleaned up beautifully, in fact it shoots very well. Some holster wear in the parkerizing at the muzzle tip and the usual line on the cylinder but other than that it's in Bristol condition.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.