Need some advice on choosing

heineken8119

I am looking at purchasing a new 300 win mag. I am going to use it for hunting in Montana (mainly elk, deer and bear). I also want to get better at working my way up in long range shooting with it. To start out I want to get myself comfortable at ranges up to 700 yards (but more yardage later if I can). I have decide this is the caliber I want to try and I am really intrested in trying the Savage 111 long range hunter rifle. I have be able to track it down locally(which I will say has been a chore in itself lol). It runs NIB for 829.00. I am wondering if it is worth it for the money or is priced too high for what you get in a rifle. Does anyone thing there is a better rifle out for the same or less money? I do not want to go through the hassle of having a gun smith completely rebuilding a gun for same accuracy right away. If down the road I want to have a gun smith work on the savage 111, will they be able to? Or is it a unique rifle that is hard to customize? Any advice would really help! thank you

The Savage is easy to work with. The shortcoming is the stock. It's not quite rigid enough.

You might consider a Remington Sendero. Nicer stock, heavier barrel. Much better looking, in my opinion. Better basis for a future custom.

You really can't go wrong.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.